G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (DIY) (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-diy-230/)
-   -   DIY: 1st Generation G35 Betty's Garage grounding wire set installation (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-diy/275129-diy-1st-generation-g35-bettys-garage-grounding-wire-set-installation.html)

Garnet Canuck 03-06-2009 06:32 AM

DIY: 1st Generation G35 Betty's Garage grounding wire set installation

14 Attachment(s)
Here's how to install the wire set.

DISCLAIMER: This set of wires is purchased and used solely at your own risk. I will not be held responsible or liable for any harm or damage that comes to your car or to you. What you are installing is a set of wires, nothing more. Take every reasonable precaution for safety when installing. Use good judgment and common sense. Installation of the Betty's Garage Grounding Wires do not necessarily void your factory warranty on electrical components in your car unless it can be proven that they are the cause of the malfunction. With proper installation, they will not be.

Tools needed:
  • 10 mm socket
  • 8 mm socket
  • ratchet
  • short extension or a deep 10 mm socket
  • 5 mm Allen wrench

All bolts shown are 10 mm except on top of throttle body which is 8 mm.

1. DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE! You should always disconnect the negative battery cable before doing anything electrical on your car. Always!

2 Remove the engine cover.

3. The longest 8 AWG wire is to ground the throttle body directly to the battery. Connect the end with the spade terminal to the throttle body by loosening the small 8 mm stainless steel nut on top of the throttle body and placing the spade terminal underneath. Tighten the nut back down.
Attachment 236774

4. Run the cable behind the engine and through the wire grommet into the battery compartment. Don't connect to the negative battery terminal yet.
Attachment 236775
Attachment 236776

5. Run the second longest cable from the negative battery terminal through the battery compartment wiring grommet to the point shown in the second photo below to ground the battery to the chassis.
Attachment 236777
See that tiny black wire grounded here? That is what is grounding your headlights! Pathetic. Remove the bolt and place the end of the grounding wire on top of the black wire that's already there. As you can see from the next photo, one end of another wire will go here as well. Go ahead and bolt the second longest and one end of either one of the shorter wires here.
Attachment 236778
Attachment 236779
Attachment 236780

6. Attach the other end of the shorter wire connected to the chassis to the bolt shown here on the front of the passenger side of the engine.
Attachment 236781
Attachment 236782

7. Attach one end of the final short wire to the corresponding bolt on the driver side of the front of the engine shown here. Route the wire underneath the intake tubing and bolt the other end to the bolt show on the driver side chassis.
Attachment 236783
Attachment 236784
Attachment 236785

Alternately, you may choose to route the wires into the battery compartment by poking or cutting a small hole through this existing wire grommet as there is more room for them here than through the other one.
Attachment 236786

8. Attach both wires to the negative battery terminal.
Attachment 236787

13. Voila! You are done. Enjoy.

You will need to reset your windows since your battery has been disconnected. To perform a window reset, start your car then hold down the driver side window button until the window goes all the way down and then continue for another 20 seconds. Do the same when rolling it up. Repeat on the passenger side window. You'll may also need to reset your radio station presets.

:driving::driving::driving::driving::driving: :driving::driving::driving::driving::driving: :driving::driving::driving::driving::driving: :driving::driving::driving::driving::driving:

Huge thanks go out to NaiveRapture on G35Driver for the installation photos. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :biggthumpup:

sayitfast 04-11-2009 06:42 AM

Seriously... Thanks for these insturctions!!! :driving:

shipjaguy 07-23-2009 08:29 AM

Extremely useful! Thanks a lot!

07BlackonBlack 11-22-2009 09:38 PM

Thanks for the pics! So helpful

Following these lead to very easy and successful install. Making a hole in that rubber grommet is rather difficult because that rubber is quite thick (alternate highlighted green spot). Overall, can easily tell the car shifts smoother and quicker with a bit more thrust at the completion of each shift.

Footballmania32 01-06-2010 12:06 AM

I followed these instructions during my install, they helped considerably! Great value, and I love the shifting speed, smoothness, and the louder Bose system!

jt2ma71 01-24-2010 01:13 AM

On top of grounding those locations, id also ground the two underneath the engine cover just to the right side of the VTC cover/intake timing sensor. Those 2 grounds there, which are side by side are the main grounds for the A/T assembly.

On my 05 G35X i noticed the shifts were laggy, and occasionaly the 2-3 shift was a little hard, instantly upon grounding the above mentioned, the shifts are definately quicker and smoother. Definately surprised, usually grounding kits dont do much for performance.

Also i didnt ground to the battery, just grounded to the body, make sure your not using a stainless steel bolt to ground it.

thescreensavers 01-24-2010 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by jt2ma71 (Post 4833617)
On top of grounding those locations, id also ground the two underneath the engine cover just to the right side of the VTC cover/intake timing sensor. Those 2 grounds there, which are side by side are the main grounds for the A/T assembly.

On my 05 G35X i noticed the shifts were laggy, and occasionaly the 2-3 shift was a little hard, instantly upon grounding the above mentioned, the shifts are definately quicker and smoother. Definately surprised, usually grounding kits dont do much for performance.

Also i didnt ground to the battery, just grounded to the body, make sure your not using a stainless steel bolt to ground it.

your shift from 2-3 aren't hard any more? It annoys me :( If this fixes it then hmm.

jt2ma71 01-24-2010 03:07 AM

Didnt notice them after. I say untill i give her a few days. I noticed if i took off briskly in first then let off when it shifted into 2nd, the 2-3 shift was kinda abrupt and you felt it. Tried to replicate it tonight, didnt notice it so maybe its good. All i can say is in my experience, nissan likes to use speaker wire to ground important things. Pull the dash off a versa and you'll see like 30 grounds going to one tiny bolt.

Grounding kit can never hurt, unless you try ground the positive battery cable lol. I only grounded the A/T assembly wires because thats the only thing id really noticed. If your curious, on the 05 G35 FSM, go to section PG (power supply, ground, circuit elements), that will show you all the important spots to ground. on page 37 it wil show you the 2 grounds for the AT assembly. Id probably ground the M72 ground. Ill post up which one it is when i find it. Havent had time to search the FSM

Dnizzle07 02-05-2012 03:11 AM

Just out of curiosity what does adding these extra ground wires do for the car's performce?

Kerry Garrison 02-21-2013 02:07 AM

The majority of the claims are not true "performance" gains as in horsepower. The most common thing people say they notice is quicker shifting when using Triptronic (manual) mode on an automatic transmission.

teahead 04-23-2013 05:09 PM

Is there supposed to be a ground for the exhaust too?

ChrisKG35 09-09-2013 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by teahead (Post 6739357)
Is there supposed to be a ground for the exhaust too?

Stock exhaust had a ground bolted to it so I would assume so

Srdatsun 08-15-2014 05:34 AM

Whats the purpose of grounding kit?

Yves731 03-04-2015 11:10 PM

These still available?

CakeEater 05-03-2016 07:59 PM

Hey, steps 9-12 are missing, can you re upload ? Or just show where they go on this picture I have attached.https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...7b9747b20a.jpg