Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mobil 1 Oil users

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Mobil 1 Synthentic vs ?

I used Mobil 1 in my ZTT for 125K miles with zero issues! A month ago I
filled up my garage cabnet with Red Line Synthentic 10/30 for my next oil
change......I was amazed at the cost of Red Line or should I say shocked.
I'll continue to use K&N oil filters because I get them at a great price on line.
New strut tower brace and oil, tomarrow's going to be a fun day!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Am I correct in understanding that this thread depicts Mobile 1 as being worse for our engines than even conventional oil?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
You would think so, but it's not true. Even though conventional oils have to meet certain standards, they are not consistent in their formulation due to the fact that they are refined from different batches of crude oil that may contain different concentrations of some of the elements that make up that oil. So even if you use the same brand of oil, the molecular structure will vary from one batch to another. With synthetic oils you have uniform formulation at all times, which means consistency. They may have change the formulas is some of the synthetics, but they are still far superior to the conventional oils. Do a Google search on motor oils, you will be surprised on all you can learn.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by optimystic06
According to Eneos, their 0w-20 is group 3/4 blend, and their 0w-50 is group 4 (PAO). SInce the correspondence was from Eneos USA; Im assuming their euro/jdm products might be composed differently. Was yours for sale in America? Or imported....
im not sure... autobacs right now is the only place in california to carry eneos... when talking with the tech there i asked him which group 4 oil he liked... he named GC, Redline, Amsoil, Motul and Eneos... i'll look into further info but i remember reading on the back of the bottle that it was a group four.. and im running the 5w30

Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.GEE
You would think so, but it's not true. Even though conventional oils have to meet certain standards, they are not consistent in their formulation due to the fact that they are refined from different batches of crude oil that may contain different concentrations of some of the elements that make up that oil. So even if you use the same brand of oil, the molecular structure will vary from one batch to another. With synthetic oils you have uniform formulation at all times, which means consistency. They may have change the formulas is some of the synthetics, but they are still far superior to the conventional oils. Do a Google search on motor oils, you will be surprised on all you can learn.
Your issue with conventional oils would also apply to mobile 1 then, since it is no longer a true synthetic but rather a refined version of convetional oil, that is why its a group 3 based oil and people are complaining about it. Amsoil, and german castrol are group 4 and completely synthetic which is why they are "better"

Old 04-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...npra_paper.pdf
Read the 24 page report if you want to further elaborate on group 3 oils. They are better than the conventional oils due to the refinement in the molecular level, where other minerals can't find their way into the formulation. I can't really say that is better, the same or not as good as the polymerized oils such as Amsoil. Tests have been conducted and proven that conventional oils perform satisfactorily for up to 6,000 miles. So anything above conventional oil is "better". The point I am trying to make is that Mobil 1 is not harmful to the engines as some of the above posts lead you to believe.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroscythe
anyone else tried Eneos other then me on here?... im not 100% sure if its a group IV oil but for $9 a quart it better be lol... anyone know if there would be any benefit to runnnig a 0w30 in so cal? I know Eneos makes one but im not sure what to make of it, but my next oil change will definately be this same oil

No i have not tried but i knoow it is the #1 rated oil in Japan.. guys here charge 80 bucks for an oil change.. yikes!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im fine with me mobile one fully symth oil =0) going on 7k miles hehe without a drop and still very clean.. have to chnage it soon tho, dont want to hit the moutain run with the same oil i did last year lmao

Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by SuperShick
just got some 2000 series amsoil 0w-30 for my 2003 6mt coupe and a new amsoil filter....

whoooooo weee, after 5,000 miles on mobil-1, this stuff is tha shiznit. this is no joke but RIGHT when i turned on the car after 5 quarts of amsoil, i could feel such a HUGE difference. the engine seemed smoother. maybe cuz it was all that sludge inside my engine. the pitch black nastiness was flowing out of my drain plug. it was so nasty. and globs of weird stuff was flowing out too....ugh =/

amsoil = dope !!
sounds like u might have just taken toooo long to change your oil.. maybe a result of driving intervals

Old 04-05-2007, 03:56 PM
MR GEE and Redlude. you guys are debating for no reason...

Mr GEE's argument is that MObil 1 is btter than conventional oil
Redlude's argument is that Group IV is better than mobil 1....3
DING DING DING.. you guys are both right!!!

however... Mr GEE.. Infiniti says that there research shows mobil 1 is not the ideal oil for the G.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
And you have this research handy right? I very much doubt Infiniti goes to that much trouble. Especially when Infinitis come with dino based oil from the factory. If Mobil 1's highly refined dino is "not ideal", then clearly what they use as a factory fill isn't either.

Originally Posted by nghiars
however... Mr GEE.. Infiniti says that there research shows mobil 1 is not the ideal oil for the G.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.GEE
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...npra_paper.pdf
Read the 24 page report if you want to further elaborate on group 3 oils. They are better than the conventional oils due to the refinement in the molecular level, where other minerals can't find their way into the formulation. I can't really say that is better, the same or not as good as the polymerized oils such as Amsoil. Tests have been conducted and proven that conventional oils perform satisfactorily for up to 6,000 miles. So anything above conventional oil is "better". The point I am trying to make is that Mobil 1 is not harmful to the engines as some of the above posts lead you to believe.
I just finished reading that report, and it confirms that PAO based oils perform better than group3 based synthetics, not alot better, but still better nonetheless. Cold cranking performance was signicantly better, ~25%

Old 04-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does everyone think of this:

http://www.pennzoilplatinum.com/

Old 04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
i stand corrected.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Of course this argument of Group lll and Group IV and Mobil one changing it's formula etc has been going on and on for so long, however I have found this to be true. Many original users of Mobil 1 are not concerned with these stats and continue to use Mobil 1. It is still recommended in many new cars and those cars are not taken off the back of the bottle or the mobil website. My opinion is unless a car is driven on the track, or the oil is not changed on regular intervals, what difference will this ultimately make for the average owner's life of his car? How many owners actually keep their cars for 150,000 miles? and if they change their oil even with conventional oil every 3,000 miles without abusing the car, I'm sure their engines will still be purring. I think this Mobil 1 and German Castrol 0w-30 thing is a little bit on the **** side and I for one will continue to use Mobil 1 (0w-40) for the 6,000 miles a year I drive with total confidence. I am not planning on being strapped down and becoming a slave to be searching and shopping around for the true fully synthetic oils. After all, perception is 90% of the story, and I perceive Mobil 1 as being more than adequate for my Infiniti. Everyone has their own comfort zone and should go with it.

Last edited by bocatrip; 04-05-2007 at 10:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil users