Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mobil 1 Oil users

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
So based on that, why aren't you using conventional oil since its "adequate"?
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Of course this argument of Group lll and Group IV and Mobil one changing it's formula etc has been going on and on for so long, however I have found this to be true. Many original users of Mobil 1 are not concerned with these stats and continue to use Mobil 1. It is still recommended in many new cars and those cars are not taken off the back of the bottle or the mobil website. My opinion is unless a car is driven on the track, or the oil is not changed on regular intervals, what difference will this ultimately make for the average owner's life of his car? How many owners actually keep their cars for 150,000 miles? and if they change their oil even with conventional oil every 3,000 miles without abusing the car, I'm sure their engines will still be purring. I think this Mobil 1 and German Castrol 0w-30 thing is a little bit on the **** side and I for one will continue to use Mobil 1 (0w-40) for the 6,000 miles a year I drive with total confidence. I am not planning on being strapped down and becoming a slave to be searching and shopping around for the true fully synthetic oils. After all, perception is 90% of the story, and I perceive Mobil 1 as being more than adequate for my Infintiti. Everyone has their own comfort zone and should go with it.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Of course this argument of Group lll and Group IV and Mobil one changing it's formula etc has been going on and on for so long, however I have found this to be true. Many original users of Mobil 1 are not concerned with these stats and continue to use Mobil 1. It is still recommended in many new cars and those cars are not taken off the back of the bottle or the mobil website. My opinion is unless a car is driven on the track, or the oil is not changed on regular intervals, what difference will this ultimately make for the average owner's life of his car? How many owners actually keep their cars for 150,000 miles? and if they change their oil even with conventional oil every 3,000 miles without abusing the car, I'm sure their engines will still be purring. I think this Mobil 1 and German Castrol 0w-30 thing is a little bit on the **** side and I for one will continue to use Mobil 1 (0w-40) for the 6,000 miles a year I drive with total confidence. I am not planning on being strapped down and becoming a slave to be searching and shopping around for the true fully synthetic oils. After all, perception is 90% of the story, and I perceive Mobil 1 as being more than adequate for my Infintiti. Everyone has their own comfort zone and should go with it.
I agree 100%. Mobile 1 is better than conventional oil and doesn't cost $10 a quart, so I use it. Granted, if I was racing my car and needed the absolute best protection possible then maybe Mobile 1 wouldn't be my first choice. For driving to work and back each day Mobile 1 is a good combination of protection and value (comparatively speaking).

Old 04-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by alkamyst77
I agree 100%. Mobile 1 is better than conventional oil and doesn't cost $10 a quart, so I use it. Granted, if I was racing my car and needed the absolute best protection possible then maybe Mobile 1 wouldn't be my first choice. For driving to work and back each day Mobile 1 is a good combination of protection and value (comparatively speaking).
That's exactly the point I was trying to make. The margin between conventional dino oils and type 3 synthetics performance is a lot larger than the difference in performance between the "REAL" synthetics and type 3. Not enough to justify the price difference and effort to search all over the place for it.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I agree. Mobile 1 for me.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.GEE
That's exactly the point I was trying to make. The margin between conventional dino oils and type 3 synthetics performance is a lot larger than the difference in performance between the "REAL" synthetics and type 3. Not enough to justify the price difference and effort to search all over the place for it.
I agree with this as well. Even if Mobil 1 is not "fully synthetic" it is still not conventional oil and has the advantage of being more stable under harsh conditions than conventional oil for a few dollars more. I believe that most of us here do agree that any synthetic oil is a better choice than conventional oil, but following service guidelines for oil changes is just as important. My "comfort zone" is to have a better oil like Mobil 1(although maybe not the absolute best) and do regular oil changes between 5-6,000 miles. I can sleep well with this.

Last edited by bocatrip; 04-05-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
For those who are currently using GC 0W-30, do you guys notice any oil consumption improvements? I know that GC is one of the thickest 30W oils around.

When I used Mobil1 10W-30, I noticed I burned a little over 1qt during my 4K mile oil change interval. Mobil1 10W-30 is one of the thinnest oils around. I switched to Mobil1 5W-30 and I'm currently waiting to drain it out when my oil change is due in 1K miles. If I'm still burning a good amount of oil, I think I'll switch over to the GC, since it's even thicker than the 5W-30 Castrol GTX

Old 04-07-2007, 10:15 PM
hows royal purple? anyone uses RP.. i see this site advertise it.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:37 AM
All the multigrade 30 weight oils are inherently thin as posted in an earlier thread. I would only use Mobile 1 0w/40 for this very reason. However, even Castrol 0w/30 is thicker than the Mobile 0w/40.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mobil 1 Oil Users

First off folks, don't believe everything you read on the Internet and I will demonstrate this below. In no way, shape or form is it my intent to attempt to embarrass the original poster of this, "information", but it is woefully inaccurate and so much so it does make me wonder regarding its true source.
This is especially so when the name of the oil analysis laboratory that performed the tests was mysteriously left out and there are two TBN numbers for Mobil 1 out that were also somehow left out.

[QUOTE=Derek173]I have been in several threads disccusing oil so I felt I needed to make a post for M1 users. I am not bashing M1 just hoping to educate my fellow VQ people.

After I started to track my car, I began looking into information about the best oil to use. During my research I found several examples of M1 showing high lead content (bearing wear) in used oil analysis on Vq35 engines. >>

This is not so.

<< I know M1 is considered to be the best oil>>

This is not so either. The pioneering leader in the synthetic lubricants industry is AMSOIL. Even a casual look at the Product Data Sheets from each company will clearly show AMSOIL's superiority. As an almost 20 year AMSOIL dealer, I know of what I speak.

<< but it never was a good oil for the Vq35 engine. >>>

Mobil 1 makes an excellent product that knocks the socks off of most of the competition and is good for any engine, as long as the engine is made out of metal.

<< Another reason to not use M1 would be that it is no longer a true synthetic. Several months ago they changed their formula. >>

This is not so. As best I can determine, this is nothing more than a wild rumor started on the Internet, (probably by a competing Big Oil company, imagine that!), as I contacted Exxon/Mobil regarding this very issue, finding it hard to believe that they would cheapen their very fine product and I asked them point blank about this rumor. I was told repeatedly that Mobil 1 synthetic oil is a true synthetic oil manufactured from a PAO base stock, or group IV base stock. The standard industry test results printed on the Product Data Sheet of their oils substantiates this as well, as Mobil 1 synthetic oil is still a very good peforming oil and again can blow the doors off of most competing oils.

<< Mobile1 is no longer a true synthetic >>

False.

<< Mobil sued Castrol for calling their oil a full synthetic. Which according to Mobil it wasnt a full synthetic like M1 since its not made from a Group IV base stock. >>

True.

<< They lost the case, so they decided to start using the cheaper base stock just like Castrol,pennzoil etc. Why make a real synthetic that costs you more money to make then the competition who is charging the same price for their fake synthetic? >>

False.

<< Here is an example of how even yellow bottled Pennzoil Dino outperformed M1 in our engine.

>>>

Okay, okay, slow down here! Pennzoil petroleum did *not* outperform Mobil 1 on these oil analysis samples!

The Pennzoil petroleum oil did not fare very well at all compared to the Mobil 1synthetic. We have to look at the oil analysis report closely to see what it is actually saying. The condition of the Mobil 1 synthetic oil shows it to be in far better shape than the petroleum oil.

The TBN, (Total Base Number), of the Mobil 1 synthetic oil was much, much better than the Pennzoil petroleum oil. The Pennzoil petroleum oil sample actually *failed the test*! TBN indicates how much of the additive package in the oil is left to attack and neutralize blowby contaminants and protect the engine from acidic corrosion. Even though most of the Mobil 1 oil samples had much greater accumulated mileage on the oil sample, the TBN was 2-3 times, (or even greater!), as high as the Pennzoil petroleum oil samples, even though the petroleum oil samples had less accumulated mileage. It wasn't even close! The oil should be changed when the TBN falls below 2, (if anyone reading this is a cynic, , please consult an oil analysis laboratory for verification), and in the case of the Pennzoil petroleum sample, it fell flat on its face with a miersable TBN of only 1 and 1.5 and needed changing far before the mileage indicated on the oil sample! Whereas the Mobil 1 synthetic oil samples did not need changing for TBN, even though the Mobil 1 samples had accumulated more mileage. The other petroleum oil samples did not fair well in TBN either. This is a significant superiority for the synthetic oil. Synthetic oil = 1 vs Petroleum oil = 0.

The SUS Viscosity @ 210 F. for a 10W-30 should fall in the range of 59-68. This indicates the, "thickness", of the oil film protecting your expensive engine. The Mobil 1 synthetic stayed in grade and was fairly consistent in all the oil samples tested. However, the Pennzoil petroleum fell flat on its face again and actually sheared back and fell out of viscosity, *failing again*, even though it had been in service for less mileage than the Mobil 1 synthetic! The other petroleum oil samples did the same thing, again, even though the petroleum oil samples had less accumulated mileage. This is significant. The petroleum oil samples show the oil to be in very, very poor condition, whereas the Mobil 1 synthetic, even with much more accumulated mileage, proves to be in very good condition and suitable for continued use. Synthetic oil = 2. Petroleum oil = 0.

Wear metals across the board, tin, aluminum, iron, lead, chromium, were all very good. It should be noted however that although some of the wear metals listed while using the Mobil 1 synthetic oil were higher than with the comparatively poor Pennzoil petroleum oil, the Mobil 1 synthetic oil had in general accumulated much more mileage than the Pennzoil petroleum oil sample. Meaning, the rate of wear was actually not higher. It should also be noted that as the vehicle accumulated mileage and the engine became more and more broken in, correspondingly the wear metals went down, which is normal.

These oil analysis reports clearly show the vast superiority of a decent synthetic oil like Mobil 1 to totally put to shame the dead dinosaur technology oil. There will be cynics who will be very upset with this, but oh well!

<< M1 used to be a great oil, now its an overpriced fake synthetic. >>

False.

<< My current fill is German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (auto-zone only). Unlike the other castrol syntecs it is a true Group IV oil, here is an oil analysis on a G35 coupe. As you can see this oil shows very little wear after 7500 miles. >>

As there shouldn't be. You are overlooking the comparatively poor TBN number though. Only 2.6, almost to the point of needing changing, whereas the Mobil 1 in your other posted oil analysis had a vastly superior TBN of 4.1 after 7,333 miles. Mobil's TBN is a whopping 58% better than Castrol! Again, substantiating that Mobil 1 is a true PAO based synthetic oil.

You wouldn't happen to work for Castrol, would you?

If anyone would like further accurate information regarding synthetic oils, freel free to e-mail me at the address listed in my profile.

Have a great day everyone!

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
1999 Cadillac Eldorado ETC - 29.5 mpg average and climbing!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks for this post- Amsoil and Mobile 1 are great products- I don't use anything else!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by gspotter
Thanks for this post- Amsoil and Mobile 1 are great products- I don't use anything else!
I agree as well with regards to the quality of Mobile 1. I had all the info corroberated some time ago, so I now have peace of mind. That most recent very detailed post was very well done. Thank you.

Last edited by bocatrip; 04-30-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 PM
wow good post HiTechOilCo, i knew that seemed alittle fishey when i first read it, good post!!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well put, HiTechOilCo. I also made a mistake at looking ONLY at the wear metals in the Penzoil dino juice. We always need to look at the big picture before judging so quickly.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Re: Mobil 1 Users

Originally Posted by chiapet15
Well put, HiTechOilCo. I also made a mistake at looking ONLY at the wear metals in the Penzoil dino juice. We always need to look at the big picture before judging so quickly.
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I have been thinking about this though and we might possibly smell a rat in regards to the original post. I say this because I find it *highly suspicious* that the name of the oil analysis laboratory performing these tests was omitted. The comments from the oil analysis laboratory techinician actually performing the oil analysis test results are also omitted. In fact, since the name of the oil analysis laboratory was omitted, we have no guarantee that the posted oil analysis results are even real! They could be fabricated! No laboratory oil analysis technician in their right mind would say that the Mobil 1 oil samples had high rates of lead in the sample and the Pennzoil sample didn't, when the Pennzoil oil samples had gone approximately *half the mileage* that the Mobil 1 oil samples did! In other words, if you double those metal wear rate numbers from the Pennzoil sample, they are roughly right in line with the Mobil 1 oil samples, at least in wear metals. Any laboratory oil analysis technician would see this. It is also interesting to note, that the posted oil analysis results appear to have been put onto a spreadsheet and is actually not the original document from the oil analysis laboratory. This is not necessary to do, as any oil analysis laboratory also lists the analysis results from all the previous oil analysis reports right along with the most recent results. The poster seemed to take great pains to try and pull the wool over the motorists who belong to this web site and then turned around and promoted Castrol oils. Mobil sued Castrol a few years back. I wonder if one plus one does equal two? This needs to be looked into a little more closely.

Something isn't right.

Further still, the original poster has not responded, or apoligized for their, "oversight". Doesn't take a rocket scientist to add this all up. I have been an AMSOIL synthetic lubricants dealer for almost twenty years and I have seen the Big Oil industry pull dirty tricks like this before. In my opinion, they have no business ethics, or morals and are driven by *only one thing*: greed. They have sold their very souls in the pursuit of profit and to them, *anything* is, "okay", as long as it generates more profit. With gas prices ever escalating, the Big Oil industry has recently reported the highest profits in the history of the world.

As an AMSOIL dealer, I can help out anyone here with wholesale prices. Please don't feel shy about sending me an e-mail at the address listed in my profile, or at my web site.

Have a great day all!

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
1999 Cadillac Eldorado ETC - 29.5 mpg average and climbing!
(Big Oil hates me! lol)

Old 05-02-2007, 01:09 AM
You Know what, I have sat here for the last Half hour and read all your post and truthfully it isnt going to stop me from using mobil1 or Castrol gtx. No disrespect Derek173 or HIGHTECOILco , but I dont fully trust any of u. When it comes time for me to buy my oil, I will go with the syntetic oil thats on sale. I must admit Im curious to try Amsoil and probably will if I find it at a resonable price. I agree with Bocatrip, as long as u change ur oil often enough your precious engine will last at least 150000 miles and thats more than enough for me. The real reason I use synthetic is because our VQ engines burn oil and thats a fact. I have used conventional oils and synthetic brands and have realized that synthetic oils burn less. I use about 1/2 a quart of synthetic oil between my 4k mile changes and I used to use at least 1 quart with conventional oil. Plus, I live in new york and I know its a fact that synthetic oils protect better in the winter. I also stick to OEM filters because I know that they will never let me down and they are backed by the same idiots who made my car!

Last edited by G35ANSTA; 05-02-2007 at 01:12 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil users