Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mobil 1 Oil users

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redlude97
He spammed like every thread. The deal with mobil 1 is still not completely solved. Do alot of reading on bobistheoilguy for a better idea of how mobil1 actually stacks up. Customer service hardly is a reliable source, and probably couldn't even explain the difference between a group3 and group 4 base oil. The facts are that mobil1 changed their formulation when they introduced "synpower" which is different than the previous formulation. Alot of people's UOA's changed significantly after the switch, which suggests a change to group 3 base stocks. The viscosity data suggests the same for 5/10w oils, with 0w oils appearing to remain PAO based. Mobil1 won't officially address the issue of base stocks so everything is still speculation, but the evidence points to group 3 base oils being used rather than PAO based for the 5w-30's and 10w-30's.

If I may, I didn't, "spam", anything. I responded to inacurrate and misldeading posts regarding Mobil 1.

Secondly, please, don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
The issue of Mobil 1 being attacked and falsley accused can be resolved mere simply calling Mobil at ---> 1-800-662-4525, and speak to Exxon/Mobil representatives yourself. Ask to speak to a Manager if you wish. You will get the official Exxon/Mobil response, which is that Mobil 1 is made from PAO base stock oils. If Exxon/Mobil were not telling the truth about this issue, then they would be risking charges of fraud and all the negative publicity that would bring. It might be highly unlikely that Exxon/Mobil would ever risk this.

As to new oil formulations, this is not unusual, especially when new API ratings come out and have to be met. Oil formulations are tweaked all the time.

Steve

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 05-18-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HiTechOilCo
If I may, I didn't, "spam", anything. I responded to inacurrate and misldeading posts regarding Mobil 1. It might not be that a company be bashed for something that isn't true, is very fair.

Secondly, please, don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
The issue of Mobil 1 being attacked and falsley accused can be resolved mere simply calling Mobil at ---> 1-800-662-4525, and speak to Exxon/Mobil representatives yourself. Ask to speak to a Manager if you wish. You will get the official Exxon/Mobil response, which is that Mobil 1 is made from PAO base stock oils. If Exxon/Mobil were not telling the truth about this issue, then they would be risking charges of fraud and all the negative publicity that would bring. It might be highly unlikely that Exxon/Mobil would ever risk this.

As to new oil formulations, this is not unusual, especially when new API ratings come out and have to be met. Oil formulations are tweaked all the time.

Steve
Posting in multiple forums with a copy and paste is spamming. Do you deny doing so?

Old 05-11-2007, 08:15 AM
penzoil platinum is a better group 3 synthetic at a cheaper pricepoint, might want to look into that as well.

Mobil 1 Pennzoil Platinum
10W-30 10W-30

Viscosity Index - 147 154
(higher = better)

HT/HS - 3.14 3.15
(higher = better)

TBN - N.A. N.A.
(higher = better)

Pour Point - -49 F. -27 F.
(lower = better)

Flash Pont - 435 F. 412 F.
(higher = better)

Test data reported from the product data sheets of each oil, available at --> www.mobil1.com and also www.pennzoil.com

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 05-11-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:06 AM
I can play your game. If mobil 1 is a true PAO, then it should own all group 3 derived oils correct? 2-2 against pennzoil, which is group 3 aint that great. How about we put it up against another group 3. Amsoil xl-7500, which is amsoil's cheapest line.
Mobil 1 Amsoil XL-7500
5W-30 5W-30

Viscosity Index - 169 173
(higher = better)

HT/HS - 3.09 3.2
(higher = better)

TBN - N.A. 9.0
(higher = better)

Pour Point - -65.2F. -45 .
(lower = better)

Flash Pont - 446 F. 453 F.
(higher = better)

Thats interesting...

Old 05-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Can you clear up this also?
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50 are made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system
How can a blend of base stocks be 100% of anything? Sounds like a group3/group4 blend to me

Old 05-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Just goes to show AMSOIL's superior products. AMSOIL is not known as, "The First in Synthetics", for nothin' ya know.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Can you clear up this also?
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50 are made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system
How can a blend of base stocks be 100% of anything? Sounds like a group3/group4 blend to me

The better performing synthetic oils on the market are indeed a blend of synthetic base stocks, to enhance their performance capabilities.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:29 AM
I appreciate the wealth of information within this thread, and in the end it is up to the owner which oil they use.

Looking at the data it looks like there is very little difference b/w the Mobil1, Penzoil, and Amsoil to make a real difference. In other words if you choose to use any of these 3 products you will not be disappointed.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Steel Blue
I appreciate the wealth of information within this thread, and in the end it is up to the owner which oil they use.

Looking at the data it looks like there is very little difference b/w the Mobil1, Penzoil, and Amsoil to make a real difference. In other words if you choose to use any of these 3 products you will not be disappointed.
If you look at the percentage of the difference, that's where you see that there are substantial differences amongst oils. If a given oil was 10% better than another, that's huge!

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 05-18-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:47 AM
so is there an answer to all this crap or what...is this totally up to me as a consumer...is there a better oil for certain applications...Steve what to you recommend for a boosted application? Feel free to Pm me. PS going back and forth between threads is such a nose bleed.

Last edited by Iceman8; 05-18-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Derek173
I have been in several threads disccusing oil so I felt I needed to make a post for M1 users. I am not bashing M1 just hoping to educate my fellow VQ people.

After I started to track my car, I began looking into information about the best oil to use. During my research I found several examples of M1 showing high lead content (bearing wear) in used oil analysis on Vq35 engines.

I know M1 is considered to be the best oil, but it never was a good oil for the Vq35 engine. Another reason to not use M1 would be that it is no longer a true synthetic. Several months ago they changed their formula.

Mobile1 is no longer a true synthetic

Mobil sued Castrol for calling their oil a full synthetic. Which according to Mobil it wasnt a full synthetic like M1 since its not made from a Group IV base stock.

They lost the case, so they decided to start using the cheaper base stock just like Castrol,pennzoil etc. Why make a real synthetic that costs you more money to make then the competition who is charging the same price for their fake synthetic?

German Castrol Syntec 0w-30, Amsoil, redline are some of the few remaining TRUE synthetics( Group IV). The other Castrol syntecs, penzzoil platinum and now Mobile 1 are not TRUE synthetics. They are hydrolocked Group III oils.

Here is an example of how even yellow bottled Pennzoil Dino outperformed M1 in our engine.

M1 used to be a great oil, now its an overpriced fake synthetic. My current fill is German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (auto-zone only). Unlike the other castrol syntecs it is a true Group IV oil, here is an oil analysis on a G35 coupe. As you can see this oil shows very little wear after 7500 miles.

Element This Last 2nd to Last Universal
Sample Sample Sample Averages

Aluminum 2 1 2 3
Chromium 0 0 0 1
Iron 5 2 7 11
Copper 5 3 6 7
Lead 2 1 3 5
Tin 0 0 1 1
Moly 4 3 1 75
Nickel 0 0 0 0
Manganese 0 0 1 0
Silver 0 0 0 0
Titanium 0 0 0 0
Potassium 1 0 7 1
Boron 0 1 1 64
Silicon 8 7 9 11
Sodium 9 8 1 7
Calcium 2643 2504 2520 2296
Magnesium 106 111 103 115
Phosphorus 687 660 635 705
Zinc 857 762 789 840
Barium 0 0 0 0
- - -
TBN 2.6

==========================

Test : Vis Flash Fuel AFZ H2O INSOL
@210F Deg F % % % %

Shd Be: 58-65 >385 <2.0 0 <0.1 <0.6

This: 61.9 415 <0.5 0.0 0 0.3
Sampl

Old 05-18-2007, 11:56 AM
This is precisely the disinformation BS I was referring to Jeff! Why do you keep sreading this drivel? Who do you work for? Why do you have so much free time to spread this disinformation?

I will politely tear the disinformation to shreds. Thank you.

First off folks, don't believe everything you read on the Internet and I will demonstrate this below. In no way, shape or form is it my intent to attempt to embarrass the original poster of this, "information", but it is woefully inaccurate and so much so it does make me wonder regarding its true source.
This is especially so when the name of the oil analysis laboratory that performed the tests was mysteriously left out and there are two TBN numbers for Mobil 1 out that were also somehow left out.

[quote=Derek173]I have been in several threads disccusing oil so I felt I needed to make a post for M1 users. I am not bashing M1 just hoping to educate my fellow VQ people.

After I started to track my car, I began looking into information about the best oil to use. During my research I found several examples of M1 showing high lead content (bearing wear) in used oil analysis on Vq35 engines. >>

This is not so.

<< I know M1 is considered to be the best oil>>

This is not so either. The pioneering leader in the synthetic lubricants industry is AMSOIL. Even a casual look at the Product Data Sheets from each company will clearly show AMSOIL's superiority. As an almost 20 year AMSOIL dealer, I know of what I speak.

<< but it never was a good oil for the Vq35 engine. >>>

Mobil 1 makes an excellent product that knocks the socks off of most of the competition and is good for any engine, as long as the engine is made out of metal.

<< Another reason to not use M1 would be that it is no longer a true synthetic. Several months ago they changed their formula. >>

This is not so. As best I can determine, this is nothing more than a wild rumor started on the Internet, (probably by a competing Big Oil company, imagine that!), as I contacted Exxon/Mobil regarding this very issue, finding it hard to believe that they would cheapen their very fine product and I asked them point blank about this rumor. I was told repeatedly that Mobil 1 synthetic oil is a true synthetic oil manufactured from a PAO base stock, or group IV base stock. The standard industry test results printed on the Product Data Sheet of their oils substantiates this as well, as Mobil 1 synthetic oil is still a very good peforming oil and again can blow the doors off of most competing oils.

<< Mobile1 is no longer a true synthetic >>

False.

<< Mobil sued Castrol for calling their oil a full synthetic. Which according to Mobil it wasnt a full synthetic like M1 since its not made from a Group IV base stock. >>

True.

<< They lost the case, so they decided to start using the cheaper base stock just like Castrol,pennzoil etc. Why make a real synthetic that costs you more money to make then the competition who is charging the same price for their fake synthetic? >>

False.

<< Here is an example of how even yellow bottled Pennzoil Dino outperformed M1 in our engine.

>>>

Pennzoil petroleum did not outperform Mobil 1 on these oil analysis samples!
The Pennzoil petroleum oil did not fare very well at all compared to the Mobil 1synthetic. We have to look at the oil analysis report closely to see what it is actually saying. The condition of the Mobil 1 synthetic oil shows it to be in far better shape than the petroleum oil.
The TBN, (Total Base Number), of the Mobil 1 synthetic oil was much, much better than the Pennzoil petroleum oil. The Pennzoil petroleum oil sample actually failed the test! TBN indicates how much of the additive package in the oil is left to attack and neutralize blowby contaminants and protect the engine from acidic corrosion. Even though most of the Mobil 1 oil samples had much greater accumulated mileage on the oil sample, the Mobil 1 TBN was 2-3 times, (or even greater!), as high as the Pennzoil petroleum oil samples, even though the petroleum oil samples had less accumulated mileage. It wasn't even close! The oil should be changed when the TBN falls below 2, (if anyone reading this is a cynic, , please consult an oil analysis laboratory for verification), and in the case of the Pennzoil petroleum sample, it fell flat on its face with a miersable TBN of only 1 and 1.5 and needed changing far before the mileage indicated on the oil sample! Whereas the Mobil 1 synthetic oil samples did not need changing for TBN, even though the Mobil 1 samples had accumulated more mileage. The other petroleum oil samples did not fair well in TBN either. This is a significant superiority for the synthetic oil. Synthetic oil = 1 vs Petroleum oil = 0.

The SUS Viscosity @ 210 F. for a 10W-30 should fall in the range of 59-68. This indicates the, "thickness", of the oil film protecting your expensive engine. The Mobil 1 synthetic stayed in grade and was fairly consistent in all the oil samples tested. However, the Pennzoil petroleum fell flat on its face again and actually sheared back and fell out of viscosity, failing again, even though it had been in service for less mileage than the Mobil 1 synthetic! The other petroleum oil samples did the same thing, again, even though the petroleum oil samples had less accumulated mileage. This is significant. The petroleum oil samples show the oil to be in very, very poor condition, whereas the Mobil 1 synthetic, even with much more accumulated mileage, proves to be in very good condition and suitable for continued use. Synthetic oil = 2. Petroleum oil = 0.

Wear metals across the board, tin, aluminum, iron, lead, chromium, were all very good. It should be noted however that although some of the wear metals listed while using the Mobil 1 synthetic oil were higher than with the comparatively poor Pennzoil petroleum oil, the Mobil 1 synthetic oil had in general accumulated much more mileage than the Pennzoil petroleum oil sample. Meaning, the rate of wear was actually not higher. It should also be noted that as the vehicle accumulated mileage and the engine became more and more broken in, correspondingly the wear metals went down, which is normal.

These oil analysis reports clearly show the vast superiority of a decent synthetic oil like Mobil 1 to totally put to shame the dead dinosaur technology oil. There will be cynics who will be very upset with this, but oh well!

<< M1 used to be a great oil, now its an overpriced fake synthetic. >>

False.

<< My current fill is German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (auto-zone only). Unlike the other castrol syntecs it is a true Group IV oil, here is an oil analysis on a G35 coupe. As you can see this oil shows very little wear after 7500 miles. >>

As there shouldn't be. You are overlooking the comparatively poor TBN number though. Only 2.6, almost to the point of needing changing, whereas the Mobil 1 in your other posted oil analysis had a vastly superior TBN of 4.1 after 7,333 miles. Mobil's TBN is a whopping 58% better than Castrol! Again, substantiating that Mobil 1 is a true PAO based synthetic oil.
You wouldn't happen to work for Castrol, would you?

If anyone would like further accurate information regarding synthetic oils, freel free to e-mail me at the address listed in my profile.

Have a great day everyone!

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Red Card Crew

Um you said it yourself. M1 is a blend. So it CAN'T be 100% Group IV. AND since my email from MOBIL 1 themselves ADMIT they dont' use 100% group IV, the question is done.

Now they list the "synthetics" FIRST, THEN state they add group IV. Therefore Mobil 1 MOSTLY GROUP III WITH "some" group IV.

Debate done. Thanks

The better performing synthetic oils on the market are indeed a blend of synthetic base stocks, to enhance their performance capabilities.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Red Card Crew

I quoted WHAT MOBIL 1 SAID VERBATIM.

Who pays you to attempt to twist words? You are spreading disinformation and a lot of it. No oil company uses 100% of anything in their oil.
You KNOW that ain't the point and you KNOW I wasn't trying to dispute it. I was questioning the main CONTENT. Which MOBIL 1 themselves confirmed. If you have a problem with that, take it up with them. I got it in writing. How about you?

What's going on Jeff? Why the lies? Who is paying your salary? Why do you have all this time to spread disinformation? Where is the original poster, Derek, or are YOU Derek?
You always this nuts?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Red Card Crew

The point IS Jeff, you spend an inordinate amount of time on here bashing Mobil 1,
And you don't? Exactly when did I bash Mobil 1? Got link? Try it, I dare you

with inuendo, disinformation, altered oil analysis test results, etc.
Again, post the link.

WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?
cia, nsa, take your pick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil users