G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   HELP: full of oil in spark plug hole (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/196030-help-full-oil-spark-plug-hole.html)

AznRocBtm 01-05-2008 02:13 AM

HELP: full of oil in spark plug hole

Today when i was changing my spark plugs at 60k miles I pulled out the coil from the spark plug on the side nearest to the battery and there was a whole lot of oil dripping everywhere. There was full of oil in the hole, just that one.

Can you guys tell me what happened?

BTW: All stock, never touched a mod nor dismantled anything except for air filter, oil changes, and spark plug change. The rest are done by infiniti service.

AznRocBtm 01-05-2008 02:14 AM

I forgot to mention its an 04 G35 6MT.

in2win 01-05-2008 02:54 AM

I asked my brother who has a custom shop taht does engine builds, he said that you may have oil in the cylinders, and if that is the case, its not good. He said there shouldnt be oil pooling like that.

in2win 01-05-2008 02:54 AM

he said on the tip on the plug is fine, the valve covers may be leaking though.

Bimmer G 01-05-2008 11:38 AM

Yeah that normally right. Most cars that get oil in the spark plug holes is that the valve cover gasket is leaking. For most vehicles with between 60k and up can have leaky valve cover and other gaskets

g35rcr 01-05-2008 11:52 AM

i had blowby at 30k when i changed my plugs the first time in the same spot, when i changed them again at 70k there was no blowby...it might have just been the engine breaking in

AznRocBtm 01-05-2008 12:06 PM

thanks for your inputs guys. I just called infiniti and they are going to do a test on my car monday for the oil consumption and compression test.

ISMSOLUTIONS 01-05-2008 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by AznRocBtm
thanks for your inputs guys. I just called infiniti and they are going to do a test on my car monday for the oil consumption and compression test.

The upper seals in the covers, that actually seal around the coils, are known for going out - mostly though on modded cars. The real problem though, is that the entire valve cover must be replaced, as those specific gaskets are not available. If not covered under warranty, your looking at about $400 just for the valve covers.

The reason you'll get this on a non modded car can be two-fold:

1 - increased blowby - caused by a bad PCV valve, rings on their way out, improper ignition/timing/fuel delivery causing excess burden on the motor. Question though - how does it run? Perfectly, roughness at idle, and are there any CEL lights at all? Is it hard to start, at all, ever?

2 - the valve cover gaskets have just worn out, as these cars produce excessive blowby anyway.

Well...good luck..let us know what happens.

Rick

in2win 01-07-2008 03:51 AM

stupid infiniti, you pay $50 bucks and 4 trips to the dealership they can find out there product is bad.

Deezflip 01-07-2008 10:31 AM

pretty scary stuff...

I just saw a youtube clip with this exact problem on a VQ. Some member named bythebay or something like, that has quite a bit of DIY vids of the VQ on youtube

He happened to capture this oil in the sparkplug hole incident. He might be a member here as well.

Glex25 01-07-2008 10:42 AM

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/195342-lots-oil-spark-plug-tube-area-video.html

Try looking into that thread

joedaddy1 01-14-2008 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by in2win
I asked my brother who has a custom shop taht does engine builds, he said that you may have oil in the cylinders, and if that is the case, its not good. He said there shouldnt be oil pooling like that.

ur brother is a genius! :DOMO:

Boston 01-14-2008 04:31 PM

I have the same issue on the #6 cylinder which is opposite yours. The oil was on the coil tip. The car runs fine so I'm assuming at this point, my valve cover seal may be the culprit. After changing the plugs and noticing the oil, I soaked it up with a clean rag and ran the car over the weekend and pulled the plug again and there was a small trace of oil back in the socket.