G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Help! Flucuating Temperature/No Heat after Coolant Flush & Thermostat Change (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/202741-help-flucuating-temperature-no-heat-after-coolant-flush-thermostat-change.html)

RiCeBrNr 02-13-2008 05:58 PM

Help! Flucuating Temperature/No Heat after Coolant Flush & Thermostat Change

Hi Guys

Every winter I notice my heat becomes a bit cooler when at a full stop, but regains its heat when the car is moving/reving.

Infiniti said I should start with a thermostat change so I bought a thermostat and took it to my local garage to go along a coolant flush.

After receiving my car from the shop I noticed even though the car wasn't moving the heating was ice cold.

As I drove the temperature sky rocketed and is going up/down between 3/4 to hot (i'd shut her down before it got to the last bar). I drove 2 minutes to my house called the garage and the mechanic said that I need to run the car in order for the coolant to circulate. Quite frankly I have a hard time letting the car run at that temperature.

Can anyone comment on the possibilities here? The temperature always stayed in the middle before the flush/thermostat change.

rcdash 02-13-2008 06:29 PM

jeez - there are 3 threads in the top 20 all on the exact same topic - and I've provided the same answer each time: you have air in your coolant system. Check down the first page of threads in this forum - one of them has the procedure to bleed the air...

I don't know what mechanic wouldn't bleed the system or even think to tell you to do it if he forgot when it exhibits this classic symptom.

AmateuRN 02-13-2008 06:59 PM

^^ For real. This topic is getting crazy. Next one should be locked/deleted.

RiCeBrNr 02-13-2008 07:01 PM

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the redundancy, should have done my due diligence prior to posting.

RiCeBrNr 02-13-2008 07:05 PM

Heating aside, given the drastic rise in temperature should I have the system reflushed? Or should the air relief plug be sufficient?

AmateuRN 02-13-2008 07:16 PM

Air relief should be fine. But then check the level, you may need to have the valve off/open while pouring.

RiCeBrNr 02-19-2008 02:50 AM

Hi Guys

I took my vehicle over to the stealership. They bled the system twice, overheating issue is now fixed, but the heating is still cool at idle and toasty when driving.

They dont seem to have an idea as to whats going on. Is it possible there are still air pockets? Could anything else cause this ? Btw, thermostat has been changed.

Another mechanic suggested I jack the front of the vehicle and remove the bleeder overnight. Is this a worthwhile attempt?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

AmateuRN 02-19-2008 10:07 AM

I would say yes. Putting the vehicle on different inclines while trying to get a air pocket out would be worth it. You may need to try several, front, back side to side (don't take that the wrong way :p)

If that doesn't help any then could it be the heater core?