G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   How to fix: P0340 code, VDC on, SES on, and SLIP on (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/242356-how-fix-p0340-code-vdc-ses-slip.html)

mikev80 09-03-2008 07:16 PM

How to fix: P0340 code, VDC on, SES on, and SLIP on

n00b car guy here...been trolling this forum and others when I needed help, now I can finally contribute.

Last week my car 03 coupe threw a P0340 camshaft position sensor (Phase) bank one error. It had a hard time turning over and starting. The VDC, SES, SLIP lights were all on. Sometimes I can drive a few blocks before my car just loses power. Infinitiparts and Riverside Infiniti only lists their sensors as right or left, not bank one or bank two. From other postings, I was misinformed that bank one was the camshaft position sensor left. WRONG! Oh well, I replaced it anyway and gave me a reason to clean my throttle body.

P0340=Camshaft Position Sensor Right. It's connected to a green connector next to the firewall.

mIKE 09-03-2008 07:47 PM

+1 for good information :D

jakeup93 09-04-2008 12:28 AM

Hey mikev80,

I've had the same problem on my sedan. I did the same, replaced the cam sensor and bingo, no problems at all now. It's annoying that it went bad in the first place. I have a thread on this as well.

denverinfiniti 09-04-2008 10:59 AM

I just replaced the same sensor on a coupe yesterday here at work. Bank 1 is the left side if your standing in front of the car looking at the engine. Cylinders 1,3,5 are on your left and 2,4,6 are on the right. :)

AmateuRN 09-04-2008 03:48 PM

Good stuff. Thanks for the post!

mikev80 09-04-2008 08:13 PM

Most annoying part was not knowing whether bank one is right or left. Next annoying DIY, replacing my door actuator, had the part for 3 months now :)

JizZLe23 12-25-2009 07:34 AM

so i guess bank 2 would be on the right side if i was standin right in front of the engine?! coz my lights just turned on as well..

kmj1268 12-21-2010 01:33 PM

how to remove wiring harness from camshaft sensor

I have the dreaded P0340 error on bank 1 with my camshaft position sensor.
I am going to replace both sensors for the camshaft, since part store gave me the wrong part and I have already started on the driver side with the angled sensor. Anyways, I am having an extremely difficult time getting the harness to come loose. I see that there is a green clip that has to be dispressed and then you are supposed to pull back. I have also pulled the sensor out of the cylinder head with the harness attached and tried it that way, however I figure having it anchored securely in the case is the best way to remove. However, it is a PIA and will not come loose. Anyone else have an issue with this and how did you overcome it. I need to be careful since it is electrical and do not want to disrupt the electrical contacts of the harness. I imagine I am going to have the same problem when I get over to the bank 1 sensor which is on the passenger side. I really wish the engineers would design these cars with the mechanic in mind. Fat chance.. right???? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John

darnelled 07-28-2012 10:42 AM

Just had the same problem- SES , VDC and slip lights all came on and car shut off engine twice in traffic and started back up and ran a little rough. The sensor replacement fixed it all but costed $250.

miketyler 08-29-2012 07:33 PM

Just had mine come on today, with all three lights mentioned. My car is a 2003 coupe, with 113k miles. Runnning ok, slow starting though. Autozone pulled codes and am showing P0340 (bank 1 cam sensor) and P0327 (bank 1 knock sensor)

I read the knock sensor can go bad without noticeable signs and wont illuminate a check engine light. Funny they would both be on the same side and I just changed oil this weekend.

So to be sure, Bank 1 is understood to be passenger side, correct?

Tolboothwilley™ 08-29-2012 08:17 PM

Bank 1 = passenger
Bank 2 = driver

Scrildo 08-29-2012 08:52 PM

In for future reference.

Patriotsfan5660 10-16-2012 10:10 PM

i have an 03 sedan after the belt that goes to the ac compressor broke and i replace it. it wont crank untill after a few tries and the slip, traction and check engine came on soon too.. once it starts it runs fine. it just wont crank right it turns for a few seconds.. could it be the cam sensors or crank?

Extreme G 10-18-2012 10:23 PM

Need to replace mine today.

tigerG35SS 10-27-2012 05:41 PM

lolz, mine is 07 G35s sedan, 3 lights came on after installed the short ram intake, It was read code P1233 at bank 2, which I think the throttle body is something wrong? I need advice on this pls people...

3maxima 02-07-2013 10:01 AM

Just to further clarify this thread:
Code P0340 is the camshaft postion sensor on the passenger side (bank one). It is a straight sensor with a green connector going to it on the back of the motor. It is real close to the transmission dip stick.
Code P0345 is the camshft postion sensor on the drivers side (bank two). The sensor is angled, also with a green connector plug. It is easy to get to if you remove the throttle body and the hose under the throttle body. The plug is hard to get off. Squeeze the tab with a pair of needle nose and pull like hell.
Both of these sensors are held on with a single 10mm bolt.
The symptoms are the same, VDC, slip and SES light all on, long crank to start.

miketyler 02-07-2013 11:04 AM

On a related note, while P0011 is intake valve timing (IVT) the diagnostic path has you checking crank sensor and then cam sensors. This suggests that while not getting a specific cam sensor code, they can be bad or something related to their function is causing this code.

I replaced my bank 1 CPS with a cheapie unit and although it put out all my VDC, SLIP, and CEL, my CEL later retruned and have new P0011 code. Has anyone got this and found that it was the cheap 3rd party replacement sensor?

GirlyG35<3 02-07-2013 11:08 AM

My car has that light on randomly too. Is it common in these cars ? I just bought mine I had a 350z before but it's different

miketyler 02-07-2013 11:35 AM

if you are saying you are seeing all three lights on its probably one of the CPS. You should probably pull codes and see what is stored in the EC before doing anything.

GirlyG35<3 02-08-2013 01:07 AM

@miketyler thank you I'm going to look up the codes tomorrow !

GirlyG35<3 02-09-2013 04:32 PM

Is anyone from so cal ? That knows how to work in this ?

miketyler 02-09-2013 04:35 PM

hey GG - did you take to AutoZone to find out what codes were stored in the ECU?

trini868 02-10-2013 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by mIKE (Post 3395586)
+1 for good information :D

Hey do u have a any idea why my vdc switch not turning on my vdc and my slip light is on?

brakes fluid is at medium and tires good.

3maxima 02-11-2013 12:28 PM

Hook up a scanner and check for codes.

manunitk 01-15-2014 01:54 PM

Thanks for the information

All,

My hearty thanks to all of you to take time and share information on this forum regarding P0340 error. I was having a similar trouble when my car almost stalled on me on I-95 and VDC light Slip Light turned on.. Took it to a Japanese car expert and paid $227 for Cam Shaft Sensor Replacement. The car is starting again without a problem and no noticeable problems. :JAMIN:

kdolores 10-01-2014 03:00 PM

How much to fix

my slip, VDC, and engine light came on. i know what the problem is but i dont know how much it would be to fix it, i cant fix it myself so does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to pay a mechanic. i have an 03 G35 coupe

christopherv5 11-08-2014 11:29 PM

Hey guys, this morning around 3am i was driving home and the slip, vdc, ses, oil, and battery light came on.
The car stalled and i was able to park it into a small street. About two hours later i went to go pick it up and it turned on and i drove it home. I ran the OBD2 and pulled up P0340.
I changed the sensor just about an hour ago and it lagged to turn on but it did.
Drove it and it felt different as in it gained some throttle. Besides that, it wont turn on as fast as it did before all this happened? Is there something else wrong?

Blue Dream 11-09-2014 03:26 PM

Did you buy an OEM sensor or aftermarket? The cam sensors are notorious for causing issues if you don't go with OEM.

christopherv5 11-09-2014 03:51 PM

I bought an aftermarket. Nappa to be exact.
I didnt have 160 for the oem at the dealer.
Update. i got home and it threw P0011.
I went back to the p0340 sensor and turns out it wasnt fastened tight enough. the car runs and turns on fine. But i cleared the code p0011 . should i get that checked?

Duinit 11-14-2014 03:09 PM

sounds like my problem. Gonna have code read

Duinit 11-15-2014 11:10 AM

Is the part for both sides the same???

Duinit 11-15-2014 11:41 AM

are bank one and two sensors the same or different???

DragonBoas 11-17-2014 02:33 PM

I had that same error code, replaced the sensor and the problem was still there. Thought I got a faulty sensor so I took it back and exchanged it. Multiple sensors later I found out the actual problem was my crankshaft had a chip in the front where it met the pully so they didn't connect properly.

Joel17 05-09-2015 10:09 AM

😦

I just replace my bank1 sensor but the "engine service soon" light still on?

user 4560487 08-16-2015 06:47 PM

couple links that helped me, haven't installed yet, waiting for part, hopefully will get done for under $40.

http://www.1aauto.com/camshaft-posit...00034?f=683604

user 4560487 08-22-2015 11:55 AM

any tricks to getting the old bank 1 sensor out? I removed the 10mm bolt, is that it? I can't get the old one out...

Ready4aG 08-22-2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by cwmizner (Post 7016371)
any tricks to getting the old bank 1 sensor out? I removed the 10mm bolt, is that it? I can't get the old one out...

You dont have to squeez the green tab but more so slide the tab as far forward as you can toward the camshaft position sensor. As you slide the tab forward you will hear/feel a click. Then if you continue to push past that first stop you will hear/feel a second click. At this point you will see about four green tabs protruding from the front of the clip that is facing the sensor. This is the open position for the clip. Now you can simply wiggle and pull the sensor from out of the clip with a little force.

When you put your new sensor in push the green tab backwards away from the can sensor until it can go any further.

Then your done. Don't forget to run so e fresh oil around the rubber seal on the new sensor. I will post a quick video I made last night once I get back home.

alclot 10-01-2015 04:21 AM

Hi friends. I have same problem in my car. Car no start. I change crankshaft sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor but i have same DTC P0340. Can you help me here?
Thanks in advance ;)

JDLu 04-21-2016 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by jakeup93 (Post 3396458)
Hey mikev80,

I've had the same problem on my sedan. I did the same, replaced the cam sensor and bingo, no problems at all now. It's annoying that it went bad in the first place. I have a thread on this as well.

Well, our G35x now has 120,000 on it. Just popped the P0340 code. Thankfully we have a couple of other vehicles ... in fact I JUST took the Blizzaks off the Infi -- my wife was using it as her winter car. I took the old sensor out -- not hard except that I have big hands, and it's a little tight. THE QUESTION ??? Where to buy a new one? $$$$ I mean. The Infiniti store wants $138 !!! The CarQuest store -- with my company discount -- says $74 for a Borg-Warner and $57 for a Dorman brand. SOMEBODY in this thread said to get the "Infiniti sensor" ... but we all know that Nissan doesn't MAKE little stuff like this -- THEY buy from some other source. On-line, I see prices from $12 ... yeah TWELVE ... to $15, to 35, to 55, and to $81 !!! It's easy to put in. I'm tempted to go with a $30 CPS and see if it works. WHAT DID OTHER PEOPLE USE?? Thanks. JD

Lukeg35 11-05-2018 04:58 PM

Need help asap

Has anybody on here replaced all three sensors camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensor at the same time and when you get done clear the code and crank the car and service engine soon light came back on and I had a camshaft code still

Blue Dream 11-05-2018 08:21 PM

The million dollar question is did you buy Nissan OEM sensors or some cheap aftermarket ones? Hitachi makes the Nissan sensors and most G's don't play nice with any others. Rockauto has both cam sensors for under $50 each.

Lukeg35 11-05-2018 08:31 PM

Yes I order genuine Nissan parts they even came in a little Nissan bag

Blue Dream 11-06-2018 06:40 AM

What other code popped up? Until then I have no idea what might be wrong. Check your wiring, all harnesses and grounds. Make sure the grounds are clean, the harnesses are tight and not missing pins and you have no frayed or damaged wires.

ToInfiniti 07-28-2019 02:57 AM

I am having the exact same problem as the OP. When I was driving, the Slip light, the VDC light, and the SES light all turned on. After turning the car off, and trying to turn it back on, it has a hard time turning over. I tested it, and got the throw code P0340. I am not sure if it's just the sensor or if it's the battery, too. Also, does anyone know what the exact OEM part number is to fix the cam shaft sensor for P0340? And a inexpensive and reputable place to buy it online? I hear people sometimes have problems with the sensors if they aren't OEM.

Blue Dream 07-28-2019 08:00 AM

Look in Amazon and Rockauto for the replacement sensors. If they're not branded genuine Nissan you can also buy Hitachi, that's who makes the OEM sensors. The part number is 23731-6J90B. The Hitachi sensor on Rockauto is $42 at the moment, you'll probably find searching that this is the lowest price out there.

James Park 04-08-2020 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Joel17 (Post 6995075)
I just replace my bank1 sensor but the "engine service soon" light still on?

Same result here but the viv, slip went off. Did check engine soon light turn off eventually?

cleric670 04-10-2020 01:49 PM

It will turn off immediately when it has the correct signal from the cam phase sensor. If you didn't use either a Hitachi or Genuine Nissan OEM sensor then that's probably the issue. These cars don't like aftermarket sensors, Hitachi was the OEM manufacturer.

You can always OBD2 clear the code and see if it returns but it should clear itself immediately.

EDIT: If it still doesn't clear with a good sensor it's possible you got a defect, it does happen. The issue might also be something like a bad harness, burnt wiring, etc. Sometimes a really dead battery or really corroded battery terminals will cause problems like this as well.