Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455

Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455

Hey guys,

i took my car in for the SES light and they told me its the EVAP vent control valve that is bad and they quoted me a nice $350 to replace it. Ive read that its not very hard to do but i cant find any pictures or diagrams of where the canister / valve is located on the car..... and also how exactly you replace the valve?

I believe the part i need is:
VALVE ASSY - CONTROL 14935-AM60B

and i forgot to ask them for how much the part is but i know it has to be cheaper to do myself......

Just looking for any help from anyone who has had this problem....
thanks!!
Rick

Old 08-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Location: Currently stationed at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City have orders to Birmingham, AL
I have the same problem on my 05 Sedan. Autozone told me it could be one of the following EVAP purge solenoid faulty, Canister vent solenoid faulty, Blocked vapor canister, Faulty EVAP pressure sensor, Loose or defective fuel cap. I bought a new fuel cap and I really don't want to take the car in. If anyone knows this is a common problem and I can go buy the part that would be great thanks.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Location: Currently stationed at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City have orders to Birmingham, AL
The part is $127.50

Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
1st step is to clear the code and make sure your gas cap is on tight. See if the code comes back.

If you have to replace it, it's under the passenger side rear.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Also does anyone know if the valve is the same for a 350z, altima, or maxima? I bet the part is $50 less through Nissan! lol

Old 08-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
i had the same problem on my 05. My SES light came on after going over a rough train crossing and after clearing it, it stayed off for a few months until it came back. The dealer replaced that same valve which fixed it. It was covered under warranty, though im not sure if it would be covered under powertrain.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Just picked up the part from Nissan same part # cost was $98.76

Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Part took all of 10 minutes to replace. It is a rinky dink plastic part that plugs into the back of your charcole canister. If you look on the very back passenger side of your car behind the rear tire there is a plastic plate that has 4 10mm bolts holding it up. Take the cover down and the charcole canister will be underneath it. The valve is plugged into the canister it is located on the tire side of the canister and it is on the right side. The valve will have a hose plugged into it and one electrical connection. Remove both the hose and connector then turn the valve to the passenger side. Once the valve is turned to the side pull out on it and remove.

The following users liked this post:
Aredubu (03-06-2014)
Old 08-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys for all of the info.... i called Infiniti and they quoted $102 for the part i think, but ill try Nissan to see if they are any cheaper. It was the nissan dealer who originally quoted me the $350 to fix this part.... which after reading the last reply seems downright outrageous for that amount of work.... unless they were quoting me to replace the whole canister and valve...

Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi guys are there any photos or DIY for this? I had the code, cleared it. A few days later I filled up and made sure I heard 3 clicks when tightening the gas cap. Then I drove around and the SES light came on again. What are the ramifications if anything, of just continuing to drive around with this issue?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Quick DIY -

1) remove cover on passenger side rear of car
2) drop down the evap box
3) turn and remove valve
4) re-install new valve and parts in reverse order.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I would say that anyone could do this part replacement. Like previous people have stated all you have to do is lay on the ground an remove 4 screws that hold up the plastic cover behind the back passenger tire. Once removed just look up and you will see the part with a rubber hose and an electrical clip on it. Just pull the hose off and squeeze the electrical clip and it comes off too. Then just turn the part counter clockwise I believe and it pulls off. Install is just reverse. I didn't have to drop the evap box down or anything I just reached up and did the work. Very easy. And you can't miss the plastic cover. I think it's the only cover like it on the rear end underside.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Cool thanks guys, I'll check it when I get home tonight.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Also I'm not sure if there is anything "bad" about driing and not replaing the part. For me I got tired of seeing the ses light and also if something else was to malfunction I wouldn't know because te light would already be on from the bad control valve.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Ok obviously I can't even do something that should be simple. What am I doing wrong here? I have the panel off and the hose off, but I can't get the stupid electrical plug off or get the valve itself off. I have the valve turned about 90 degrees counter clockwise and the thing won't budge, I've tried it at different angles also and nothing. Also I been trying to unclip the electrical connector and I can't get it to budge either, There isn't enough room to fit needle nose pliers under there.

Attached Thumbnails Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455-dsc_6241.jpg  

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455