G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   2003 Coupe won't start, and start randomly (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/333408-2003-coupe-wont-start-start-randomly.html)

laratta 04-14-2010 08:40 AM

2003 Coupe won't start, and start randomly

Hi all,
I have a 2003 Coupe, automatic. It act up lately. Some morning it won't start. I try to shift to N, and just move the shift a couple time, then it will start.
This morning it happen again, I tried to shift it to N, move the shift, ect... It still doesn't work, just make that clicking noise.
I just replace the battery about 6 month now. The battery is full, with full bright headlight.
I try to open and close the gas cap.
I try to jump it.
I try to start it with the spare key.
Still doesn't work.
Could this be a starter problem? It's a 2003 and I haven't have to replace the starter yet.
Please give me some suggestion. I search through the forum, and tried all the suggestion I listed above.
Thanks
LaRatta

Bauer418 04-14-2010 11:09 AM

No check engine light or any other problems after you have managed to get it to start?

Ryuusei 04-14-2010 11:18 AM

How many miles? Maybe alternator but if it starts you should drop it off asap to your mechanic

Bauer418 04-14-2010 11:20 AM

He should be able to get it to start even with a bad alternator, it will just have a rough idle if he/she keeps the A/C on or rolls down the windows, etc. You would also likely notice headlights dimming when engine RPMs increase or A/C turns on as the vehicle wouldn't be able to support the increased current. If you have a multimeter, and can get your car to start, check the voltage across the battery terminals. When first starting your car it should be just over 13, and stabilize around 12.5 when it reaches its normal idle. If it's below 12v, you most likely have a bad alternator. Which brings me to my next question: when you try to start the car, can you hear any clicking coming from under the hood or is it completely silent?

laratta 04-14-2010 11:40 AM

Bauer418, when it start, it just normal. No engine light or any other problem. The ac, and radio work just fine. Even when it doesn't start the radio, ac, and headline can be turn on at full bright. The battery was replace about 6 months ago, so it's still good. When it doesn't start, I hear clicking noise under the hood.
Ryuusei, my car is 2003, automatic, 69.5K, which is decent for 2003. If it's an alternator problem, I should be able to start it by jump. I live in Falls Church, Va and it's 70degree now. Weather shouldn't be the problem.
Could it be a starter problem?

Bauer418 04-14-2010 11:47 AM

Sounds like a starter. 70k is pretty early for a starter to go bad, but it can happen if you hold your key past when the engine has actually started. Even if you only do it for a second, that starter grinding over time can cause premature failure.

I'm not saying this is definitely what it is, but because you get no codes, and jumping it doesn't do anything, I'm going for a starter problem. Because you hear a clicking noise, that can almost eliminate a battery issue - I understand the voltage could be just barely too low, but I doubt that's the problem). In other words, the starter is clicking, which means it's getting power from your battery. The starter solenoid is probably failing and can't turn over the engine.

If this is the problem, a new starter is around $200 and shouldn't be more than an hour of labor to install it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

laratta 04-14-2010 12:56 PM

Bauer418, I hope that's what it is. But I dont know if it is common for it to start and not start ramdomly after I shift stick to N and back to park.
Somebody said it might be the gas cap is not closed right. I did try to open and closed the gas tank cap too.
Thanks for your response, I'll have it tow to the dealer and let you know what happen.
Thanks,
LaRatta

Bauer418 04-14-2010 01:08 PM

My guess is that it's coincidental. If you left the car in Park and tried to start it repeatedly I'm guessing eventually it would work out. The only thing related to your gear when the car is started (as far as I know) is the P/NP (Park/Neutral Position) Switch, but that's an immediate killswitch, meaning that the starter won't crank unless your gear shift is in Park or Neutral. If the gas cap wasn't closed tight, it should throw a Check Engine Light when you start the car (emissions leak).

laratta 04-14-2010 01:12 PM

I have happened for the past three weeks, every other days. I shifted the gear, and try to start it a couple times, then it will start. Today, I have no luck with that. How much to replace a starter at the dealer?

Bauer418 04-14-2010 01:17 PM

At the dealer, probably $250 for the part and $125 for labor (I believe $125/hr, someone correct me if I'm wrong). You'd be looking at around $400. It might be more than that, could be less, I rarely take my car to the dealer. Just because they sell the cars doesn't necessarily mean they know the most about them. I have had some not-so-great dealer experiences.

But that's beside the point. The fact that shifting between Park and Neutral no longer does anything indicates that it most likely was the starter, wearing down until it was completely gone. Again, I think the Park/Neutral gimmick you were having was just coincidental. Signs seem to point to starter, but let us know what the dealer says.

Ryuusei 04-14-2010 01:21 PM

Its about $125 to $150 an hour for labor. I wanted to say starter could be the next issue. Hopefully its a small and simple fix. Good luck on that.

laratta 04-14-2010 01:41 PM

thank you guys, for your response. I'll post the result, and hopefully it will help other in the future.
LaRatta

bythabay 04-15-2010 02:09 PM

It does sound like a bad starter. New remanufactured one can be had for Autozone around $150 or less with lifetime warranty. They reman them in Japan now, so the quality has gone up and they are pretty reliable. Very worth it especially with the lifetime warranty. The install is really easy too; just undo 2 connectors and unscrew 2 - 3 bolts and the starter comes right out.

laratta 04-15-2010 04:58 PM

It's the starter. Replaced it, and it start just fine now. Thank you all.
LaRatta

smallguy2020 05-20-2019 10:30 PM

this sounds exactly like the situation I'm in right now. I have a 2005 Infinti coupe doesn't want to turn over. I changed the oil, coolant/antifreeze doesn't want to start when I turn the key. Im gonna try and replace the starter tomorrow.