Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Crank pulley replacement problems

Old 11-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crank pulley replacement problems

Hey everyone. Bought a lightweight crank pulley from Z1 and went to replace it this weekend. Followed the service manual and got to the part where I need to break the crank pulley bolt free.
  1. Tried my 450ft/lb 1/2" Impact Wrench. No go. Won't budge the bolt.
  2. Tried the trick people have mentioned on the forums of putting a breaker bar on it & bracing it against the ground and cranking the engine. Tried that 3 times and each time it just lifted the car into the air to where it was almost coming off the jack stands.
  3. Sprayed the bolt down with WD40 and Liquid Wrench and heated it with a torch, then tried the breaker bar trick again. Still didn't break free and I started to get worried about damaging my starter.

OK, so now where do I go from here? This bolt is not moving. I'm thinking the next step is to use the tool specified in the service manual (J-44716) and then with the flywheel locked I could put a pipe on the end of my breaker bar and reef on this thing and I hope that will do it. The only problem is the internet sources I've found so far for this flywheel tool are $200+. Can anyone suggest anything else for me?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
check with autozone. They might have something similar that you can borrow for free.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:14 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan0myte
Hey everyone. Bought a lightweight crank pulley from Z1 and went to replace it this weekend. Followed the service manual and got to the part where I need to break the crank pulley bolt free.
  1. Tried my 450ft/lb 1/2" Impact Wrench. No go. Won't budge the bolt.
  2. Tried the trick people have mentioned on the forums of putting a breaker bar on it & bracing it against the ground and cranking the engine. Tried that 3 times and each time it just lifted the car into the air to where it was almost coming off the jack stands.
  3. Sprayed the bolt down with WD40 and Liquid Wrench and heated it with a torch, then tried the breaker bar trick again. Still didn't break free and I started to get worried about damaging my starter.

OK, so now where do I go from here? This bolt is not moving. I'm thinking the next step is to use the tool specified in the service manual (J-44716) and then with the flywheel locked I could put a pipe on the end of my breaker bar and reef on this thing and I hope that will do it. The only problem is the internet sources I've found so far for this flywheel tool are $200+. Can anyone suggest anything else for me?
I did the following to my crank pulley when doing the timing chain. It requires the idle pulley mount usually found on

Old 05-23-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by coffeysm
I did the following to my crank pulley when doing the timing chain. It requires the idle pulley mount usually found on
What was it you did? You say "I did the following" with nothing to follow that. Am I missing something?