G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   plenum spacer trouble (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/372705-plenum-spacer-trouble.html)

chink-ah-saur 04-05-2011 01:39 AM

plenum spacer trouble

so I just installed a skunk2 Plenum spacer and during warm start ups,
it will turn over but hesitates a little.
like it will flow smooth, then dip then flow smooth agin.
Im thinking vacuum leak, but idk i cant look at it till tomrrow.

kennymo 04-05-2011 01:45 AM

make sure all the bolts are tight and make sure the rubber peice that goes around the filler neck for the oil isnt stuck between the spacer and plenum

chink-ah-saur 04-05-2011 01:51 AM

its not the rubber neck but ill see about all the bolts thanks :biggthumpup:

chink-ah-saur 04-05-2011 03:33 PM

Ok so I went over all the bolts agin, still the same.
Anyother ideas?

JOKER 04-05-2011 03:47 PM

when installing spacer make sure you tighten the outside bolts first before you even touch bolts in the middle.

If you tighten middle bolts first it will warp your plenum and prevent it from sealing tightly all around.

So just loosen up all the bolts, tighten up outside bolts first (properly) and then just lightly tighten middle ones.

Cheezycheeto 05-24-2011 08:45 PM

Mine was like that at first when I installed my motordyne Plenum spacer but now its fine. I cudnt figure out why it was doing that too.

PhGit 05-24-2011 09:51 PM

Did you disconnect the neg battery connection when you did it? Even if you did though, the idle control could get out of wack. You should do the procedures to reset the throttle body... this is on the last page of:
http://www.motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf

I know it's a skunk, but the same procedure applies and the motordyne instructions were most handy to me since I just did the spacer install last weekend.

chink-ah-saur 05-24-2011 10:49 PM

^yea ,I did that and did all the resets but
This was the fix

Originally Posted by JOKER (Post 5792145)
when installing spacer make sure you tighten the outside bolts first before you even touch bolts in the middle.

If you tighten middle bolts first it will warp your plenum and prevent it from sealing tightly all around.

So just loosen up all the bolts, tighten up outside bolts first (properly) and then just lightly tighten middle ones.

DomeP1ece 05-24-2011 10:59 PM

Torque wrenches are your friend. they are a very very valuable tool to have.

JOKER 05-24-2011 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by DomeP1ece (Post 5894044)
Torque wrenches are your friend. they are a very very valuable tool to have.

torque wrench is not going to help if you tighten inside bolts first

G. Dizzle #2 05-26-2011 09:33 AM

Good info. How is that Skunk2 Plenum spacer *****? i was thinking about getting one.

chink-ah-saur 05-26-2011 10:00 AM

^not bad. Lol I got it for a steal so I couldnt pass it up. But I do like it.

I think any spacer will do, so look for a used one

G. Dizzle #2 05-26-2011 10:31 AM

used?... iownknow about that. i dont like the idea of using used engine parts. I never done it, but it just doesnt seem right. it seems like the part is half worn out already, you also dont know what condition its in. it may look good but.... iownkno.
i saw one for 2 bills. i might cop dat.

Invictus_Caelumfunis 05-26-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by kennymo (Post 5790934)
make sure all the bolts are tight and make sure the rubber peice that goes around the filler neck for the oil isnt stuck between the spacer and plenum

hahaha yeah i def did this as well.

JOKER 05-26-2011 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by G. Dizzle #2 (Post 5897356)
used?... iownknow about that. i dont like the idea of using used engine parts. I never done it, but it just doesnt seem right. it seems like the part is half worn out already, you also dont know what condition its in. it may look good but.... iownkno.
i saw one for 2 bills. i might cop dat.

:bowrofl::bowrofl:you funny.

its not like you buying a used oil filter or anything. Spacer is just a piece of aluminum, there is no such thing as "used spacer" there is only "tested and proven to be in proper working condition" spacer