Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

high Idle, P0507

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high Idle, P0507

Help!!! I have a 2003 G35 coupe. It had been running fine but had oil leaking from both valve covers onto the exhaust manifolds. So, I replaced both valve cover gaskets, pcv valve and spark plugs. I also cleaned the throttle body while I had it apart. I did the throttle valve closed position learning, Idle air volume learning and pedal position learning many times.
Could it be from cleaning the throttle body as i read, after the fact, not to do it. Or could it be an intake leak somewhere as i didn't change the intake gaskets. I have been told they can be reused as long as they aren't damaged. I found alot of info on this but most of it is old and isn't working for me. What should be my next step?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:34 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Probably didn't work right when you did the throttle reset. It literally took me about 50 tries to get it right. Also, have to make sure all eletrical loads are off and then turn it off and then back on right away after it drops down. Some of those steps were missing on the procedures I was following after I did that it worked.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean by it being hard to get into the mode. I have done it successful about 4 times. The last time I did it I had my odb2 scanner plugged in with torque pro app. The lowest I've seen the rpm was 788. I have read that it needs to be below 700 to take. What do you mean by turn it off and back on after the idle drops down? Usually I let it idle for 20 sec. Then rev it up a few times and turn it off. If I restart after that it usually goes up to about 1000 to 1200 eventually it will go down to 800 on its own. But after about the 3rd restart the p0507 comes back.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Well, the RPM should be about 650 +- 50 without the AC on, so you're running pretty high. When the idle drops to the correct zone you need to turn the car off and on again immediately.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Thanks again. I noticed when I first start it at the end of the relearn the idle is all over the place and then settles down to about 800. The book said to let it idle at least 20 sec. Then rev it up a couple of times before turning it off. But that isn't working. I will try it your way, maybe that is the key. I read in the maxima forum to unplug 2 or 3 fuel injectors when you do the relearn to get the rpm down to 650. But I can't get to the injectors with the plenum on.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't go unplugging fuel injectors. Make sure all electronic loads are off, headlights in off position not auto, steering wheel center, and then you do the pedal dance. It will drop down to 650 on it's own and then that's when you turn it off and on again. If I remember correctly those were the missing steps to get it to work for me.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Been trying this for over an hour and can't get the ses light to flash. I've never had this much of a problem getting it to work. Just checked the battery voltage and it is at 12.6V. Thats probably why it's not working. Now I have the battery charger on it to get it over 12.9V to try again. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Still no ses light flashing. thought it was voltage but then i reread the instructions and it should be above 12.9v at idle. I was checking it off, so thats not it. The only other thing I did since last time it worked was disconnect the battery overnight. don't know why that would make a difference. I would just leave it alone because the car is driveable, but it will fail inspection with the ses light on.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by tripletrouble
Still no ses light flashing. thought it was voltage but then i reread the instructions and it should be above 12.9v at idle. I was checking it off, so thats not it. The only other thing I did since last time it worked was disconnect the battery overnight. don't know why that would make a difference. I would just leave it alone because the car is driveable, but it will fail inspection with the ses light on.
You must not be getting the time correctly it needs to be exact.

PREPARATION
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.
Battery voltage: More than 12.9 V (At idle)
Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100 degrees C (158 - 212 degrees F)
Park/neutral position (PNP) switch: ON
Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is started, the headlamp will not be illuminated.

Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
Vehicle speed: Stopped
Transmission: Warmed-up
For A/T models with CONSULT-II
Drive vehicle until "ATF TEMP SE 1" in "DATA MONITOR" mode of "A/T" system indicates less than 0.9 V .
For A/T models without CONSULT-II and M/T models
Drive vehicle for 10 minutes .

Without CONSULT-II

NOTE:
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit has a malfunction.
Perform EC-78, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning". See: Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor\Testing and Inspection
Perform EC-79, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning". See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning\Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds .
Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds .
Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds .
Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
Fully release the accelerator pedal.
Wait 7 seconds , fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
Start engine and let it idle.

Wait 20 seconds .

Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, Idle Air Volume Learning will not be carried out successfully. In this case, find the cause of the incident by referring to the DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE.

The following users liked this post:
ErikNYC (10-21-2016)
Old 07-27-2022, 01:12 AM
i have a slammed/cambered silver 2007 g35 coup base model with a DE
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Well, the RPM should be about 650 +- 50 without the AC on, so you're running pretty high. When the idle drops to the correct zone you need to turn the car off and on again immediately.
so after i do the idle reset stuff and i turn it on and the rpm’s return to normal then i turn the car off and turn it back on immediately correct?

Old 07-29-2022, 11:06 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Just follow the steps in the FSM, section EC - Engine Controls under "basic service procedures".

Same stuff in post # 9 of this thread.

https://www.nicoclub.com/infiniti-service-manuals