G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Oem green coolant vs blue (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/437576-oem-green-coolant-vs-blue.html)

TheBay 02-14-2014 03:23 AM

Oem green coolant vs blue

I was recently checking my fluids on my 06 coupe and decided to do my change my coolant. I went over to Nissan dealer ship and bought 2 gallons of the new blue long life pre-mixed coolant. This is the new coolant that Nissan and Infinity have supposedly been putting in the new cars ever since 2009. Even though you can buy the green coolant still the blue is long-life.

The coolant I have in it right now is green. I haven't changed the coolant since I purchased the G 2 years ago. I was reading on how to do the complete coolant flush to get rid most of the old green coolant out and I'm going to have to get get to the drain plugs. This seems like a pain and was wondering if I could just flush the coolant with distilled water. But I was wondering if I was putting in distilled water in when flushing out the old fluid wouldn't there be an uneven ratio when I put my premixed 50-50 solution in. I don't know if mixing the old green and blue coolant is good so I would like to get most of the green coolant out.

If anyone with experience with this can help me I will appreciate it alot! Thanks!

joedaddy1 02-14-2014 01:34 PM

Just use the green. Problem solved. Teehee

Frankieg35 02-14-2014 01:54 PM

Flush it with distilled water will get the old green out.. Then fill it with the blue..

TheBay 02-14-2014 02:04 PM

I would like to use the blue coolant instead of the green because it is long-life.

Originally Posted by Frankieg35 (Post 6872599)
Flush it with distilled water will get the old green out.. Then fill it with the blue..

When I flush it with distilled water, wouldn't there be an uneven ratio of distilled water and coolant when I pour in the blue coolant. More distiled water than the pre-mixed blue coolant since some of the distilled water stays back in the block. Or do i make sure i flush out all the distilled water? I was confused on this as people were saying some stays back in the block.

Frankieg35 02-14-2014 02:22 PM

Im sure a little bit will stay in but it shouldnt make a difference.. Either way u would use a 50/50 mix if it is blue or green.. Dont forget to take out your ocerflow bottle and wash it out also.. I gotta flush mine and am gonna put the blue in..

TheBay 02-14-2014 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Frankieg35 (Post 6872612)
Im sure a little bit will stay in but it shouldnt make a difference.. Either way u would use a 50/50 mix if it is blue or green.. Dont forget to take out your ocerflow bottle and wash it out also.. I gotta flush mine and am gonna put the blue in..

So I just gave my local infinity dealership a call and talked to one of the technicians there. I asked him if they did a flush when doing the coolant.. He said they don't flush out the coolant from the block and that if my car has the green coolant in that I should stick with the green coolant and not mix with the blue.

I don't know how to take in this information as everywhere I go someone tells me something different. Now I'm thinking about switching the blue for the green.

TheBay 02-14-2014 02:42 PM

Anyone have experiencing changing from the green oem coolant to the blue oem coolant?

I also have a question about the coolant flush. When flushing the coolant, do I put distilled water in the tank and then plug up all the drains and then run the car and then drain again. Or do I not put back the drain plugs and let the distilled water run out the bottom. Sorry for the newbie questions, I'm just starting to do some maintenance work myself.

Frankieg35 02-14-2014 02:45 PM

If its been a while since your last coolant change then flush it if not just drain and fill..

Frankieg35 02-14-2014 02:48 PM

Drain all the coolant then just pour in the water till it runs clear out of the drain plug while the car is running, put the heat on to open the thermostat.. Turn the car off and let the water drain out then put the plug back in and refill and burp the system to let the air out..

TheBay 02-14-2014 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Frankieg35 (Post 6872622)
Drain all the coolant then just pour in the water till it runs clear out of the drain plug while the car is running, put the heat on to open the thermostat.. Turn the car off and let the water drain out then put the plug back in and refill and burp the system to let the air out..

Thanks for all the help Frankie, hopefully other drivers fine this thread useful in the future.

Frankieg35 02-14-2014 02:52 PM

This will help a lil..

Watch "Infiniti G35 Coolant Replacement" on YouTube

TheBay 02-14-2014 02:58 PM

Hey Frankie,

I just called another infinity dealership and they said not to switch the green with the blue if you already have the green in it. Just thought I'd post it.

Frankieg35 02-14-2014 03:15 PM

Hmm, I wonder why.. Oh well guess I will use the green then.. Thanks

anthony636 02-16-2014 11:43 AM

Geez some of these other dealerships are so afraid of work. I work at an Infiniti dealer, and I get customers making the request all the time. We have a coolant flush machine that'll swap the fluid. It's a little costly but that's what you get. You get what you pay for. I did it on my coupe. I ran the machine until only clear fluid came out. While the machine was doing the transfer I sat in the car and gave it sharp revs to try and push what's left in the block out. Once it was completely clear I ran 5 gallons through it. There's nothing wrong with switching. It's only blue to signify that is 50/50 long life. Why is it long life? Cause it's premixed from the factory with distilled water. Green blue, same same. One premixed one concentrate.

badazzg 02-16-2014 03:55 PM

I work at a Nissan dealer and we have not had any issues replacing green with blue. Not sure why anyone is telling you not to. Like others have said if possible flush with distilled then change to whatever you want.