G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Motordyne Spacer dyno test results (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/44970-motordyne-spacer-dyno-test-results.html)

nuttyprof 02-20-2005 02:11 PM

Motordyne Spacer dyno test results

DYNO DAY RESULTS: MOTORDYNE SPACER MADE POWER

On my car, which is modded with:

TS ECU
K&N filter
z-tube
kinetix hf cats
stillen dual cat-back exhaust
ground kit
crank pulley

got about a 5 hp gain on a mustang dyno. my before numbers were about 220 and my after numbers were about 226. after you calculate a 30-35 percent drivetrain loss(for the mustang dyno plus drivetrain loss for 6mt) we gained about 8 hp with the spacer. we are speculating that at redline, the spacer would gain even more, but the dyno did not get up that far.

hydrazine will have the complete results of everyone's dyno on file in a few days.

btw, Dizz also tested a spacer and he gained about the same power as I did.

as for my impression, it was wet on the streets so i couldnt floor it completely, but i did step on it a bit and (yes all you guys call BS on my butt dyno but i know what i felt) it definitely breathes better, has better throttle response, and pickup is noticibly better(by noticibly, i mean i could notice it hahahaa)

maxpower 02-20-2005 03:19 PM

when you add the 3/8" spacer, does the infiniti engine cover still fit?

G352NV 02-20-2005 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info!

jjellyneck 02-20-2005 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by maxpower
when you add the 3/8" spacer, does the infiniti engine cover still fit?

It's supposed to, but mine has not arrived yet, so I don't know for sure.

skyline350 02-20-2005 05:30 PM

I have the 3/8" spacer installed and yes, the engine cover does fit.

maxpower 02-20-2005 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by skyline350
I have the 3/8" spacer installed and yes, the engine cover does fit.

what are your initial feelings on added performance? was it worth the price? I missed the group buy but am considering adding the spacer if it truly adds 5-6 hp.

thanks for your reply,

max

Sickone 02-20-2005 08:33 PM

maxpower

I also want one of the spacers, and did finally make contact to get one.
(fisrt attempts failed since website is down, and his isp was having trouble so it bounced the email)

I am now waiting for details to actually get it - I am hoping to just go pick it up since I am also in SoCal.

Your car is very similar to mine, and would suggest this to consider also.
- Replace the stock paper air filter with a K&N (I did it only cause it was a better filter, but that engine is clearly hungry for air, the additional flow made a difference)
- Get a grounding kit - I think this is truely useful on an AT
- get the spacer - no doubt based on what I found with the air filter, it will make a noticable difference. The front cylinders are starved for air.

Msedanman 02-20-2005 09:20 PM

Looks like a good alternative to a plenum mod.
Good power gains and 'stealth' too. :)

maxpower 02-20-2005 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sickone
maxpower

I also want one of the spacers, and did finally make contact to get one.
(fisrt attempts failed since website is down, and his isp was having trouble so it bounced the email)

I am now waiting for details to actually get it - I am hoping to just go pick it up since I am also in SoCal.

Your car is very similar to mine, and would suggest this to consider also.
- Replace the stock paper air filter with a K&N (I did it only cause it was a better filter, but that engine is clearly hungry for air, the additional flow made a difference)
- Get a grounding kit - I think this is truely useful on an AT
- get the spacer - no doubt based on what I found with the air filter, it will make a noticable difference. The front cylinders are starved for air.

thanks for the info, the k&n was next on my list. I am not as sure about the 10 wire kit (which kit did you get?) as there seems to be some doubt about the benefits....although I have heard more positive comments about it than negative.

do you have a link to his site? what is the 'regular' price since we missed the group buy.

thanks

max

Trik69 02-20-2005 10:15 PM

nuttyprof,

You said that you had gained 5 hp, was it low or high in the rpm's? I have a 1/2" on order and I was just curious.

Thanks

Dizz 02-21-2005 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by nuttyprof

btw, Dizz also tested a spacer and he gained about the same power as I did.

as for my impression, it was wet on the streets so i couldnt floor it completely, but i did step on it a bit and (yes all you guys call BS on my butt dyno but i know what i felt) it definitely breathes better, has better throttle response, and pickup is noticibly better(by noticibly, i mean i could notice it hahahaa)

I think you gained more than 5hp Pat.
My first baseline run was 202hp. My first spacer run was 210hp.
I remember your baseline being 217hp and one of your spacer runs was at 226hp.

Throttle response and pickup has improved immensely on my car.

You know there's always going to be someone that's gonna call BS, but it doesn't really matter because we will have the plots posted soon and videos to follow. :D And if that still isn't enough, there were 7-8 people who saw it for themselves.

nuttyprof 02-21-2005 04:16 AM

well, basing on my highest recorded baseline run (total of 4) and my highest spacer run (total of 4 as well), i actually recorded 6 hp gained in the upper rpms. this 6, however, when calculated to hp at the crank, equals to about 8 hp.

so not 5, but 8.

SteveAreno 02-21-2005 06:09 AM

I dont know about you, but i dont remember the last time I felt a noticeable difference with a 5hp gain. Also, why couldnt the dyno go to redline?

GlenRoseFireFighter 02-21-2005 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by SteveAreno
I dont know about you, but i dont remember the last time I felt a noticeable difference with a 5hp gain. Also, why couldnt the dyno go to redline?

Steve, I don't know if that is true. So when you added the Z-tube, you didn't notice a dif? That's only about 5-7 ponies.

THX723 02-21-2005 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by SteveAreno

That statement is needs to be clearified ... it' has been so loosely called out most everyone.

In the world of abundant horsepower ... 5 mere horsies means jack. But, the reality is 5 horsepower is no chump change by a long shot! 1 hp is equal to work of 33,000 ft.-lb. in 1 minute. Now multiply that by 5!!! 1000 Governators couldn't even do that much work in a day.

The question one need to ask is where the 5 additional hp is found. If it was applied significantly across the board, you bet most butt dyno will have no problem detecting it. If however the additional horses is only made briefly (say within a narrow band of 500rpm or less) then the answer is NO. Most of us, short of a dyno, will not be likely to feel anything and there will have been little to no real world performance gain either.

In the case of the spacer or plenum (Kinetix, Crawford, etc.) ... the gain is consistant across the board with most significant gain from 5000rpm to redline. That's enough for most of us to feel.

Randy,
I seriously doubt Z-tube is worth 5-7hp. It is largely a noise maker and one's lucky if they found a 1 or 2 hp from it. Anything upstream of the throttle body has minimal impact to the engine aspiration. Guess what, I didn't feel (nor expected) a darn thing after installing one. They sure sound cool though.