G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Car won’t start... (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/463238-car-wonit-start.html)

Natmats 04-10-2018 11:25 PM

Car won’t start...

99,500 miles
6MT

Here’s some back story of the last couple months w Melody:
- driving in traffic, car died (thought I stalled the car)
- slow to start; about 5 seconds
- self diagnostic showed cam shaft pos sensor
- finally replaced it after a month
- started better. For a while...
- slow start up so thought it was batt
- took it to pep boys, told to charge the batt and hve retested
- charged it by idling car for 1 hour
- started up much faster
- slow start weeks later and didn’t turn over or even crank this am
- bought installed new batt and I hear this noise (link below)

any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

cleric670 04-10-2018 11:57 PM

Pull off the starter and take it down to have it tested, check the starter drive gear to make sure it's not missing a tooth, sounds like it's not engaging the flywheel though.

Sluggish start problems can be the starter and not just the battery. Make sure to disconnect your battery first so you don't celebrate the 4th of july under your vehicle.

Natmats 04-11-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7136055)
Pull off the starter and take it down to have it tested, check the starter drive gear to make sure it's not missing a tooth, sounds like it's not engaging the flywheel though.

Sluggish start problems can be the starter and not just the battery. Make sure to disconnect your battery first so you don't celebrate the 4th of july under your vehicle.

Thank you! i'm going to pick up a replacement starter today and swap it out tonight. i hope it resolves all these issues!!

i'll keep you posted (haha) :hello:

cleric670 04-11-2018 12:47 PM

I'd test the existing one first before throwing parts at the car, it might be something as simple as a corroded battery wire or something.

Natmats 04-11-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7136107)
I'd test the existing one first before throwing parts at the car, it might be something as simple as a corroded battery wire or something.

i checked and cleaned the battery terminals a few months back thinking it was the original issue but to no avail... or are you talking about something different that i would have to investigate underneath the car where the starter is?

thanks,

cleric670 04-11-2018 01:12 PM

I mean the connection on the starter might just be all corroded, or the battery cable itself might have a pinhole and the copper is all rotted out somewhere. You can disconnect the cable and use a digital multimeter to read resistance (ohms) across the two ends, the meter should read 0-1 ohm resistance. There's a really good chance it's just the starter though, sluggish starts seems to be a common indicator of wear for them.

Urbanengineer 04-11-2018 02:03 PM

^ I agree.

But the new starter makes the car sound like a race car when it starts :8:. It's the Denso branded starter, I think. $600 less than dealer cost for one less sticker.

cleric670 04-11-2018 05:55 PM

I was thinking of just having mine rebuilt when I pull the transmission in a couple months to put in the rebuilt CD009 but I just realized the spec on the Denso starter has an almost 30% higher kW rating...

Natmats 04-11-2018 11:07 PM

Natmats 04-12-2018 02:47 AM

Update!

swapped out the starter and she’s running like it’s 2003!

thanks for all the replies y’all! Can’t thank you enough!

cleric670 04-12-2018 01:35 PM

Yeah there is a TON of debris on that starter, if you're a 6MT on the stock clutch you might start preparing for a new one in the near future. Glad everything is working good now.