G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Only half a qt came out (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/464919-only-half-qt-came-out.html)

Sean McCants 10-10-2018 04:23 AM

Only half a qt came out

300 miles ago I changed my oil with only this bottle coming out.ice replaced it with 4.7 qts of full synthetic oil.i didn’t take off the oil cap when draming.the same oil that came out of the filter came from the drain plug so it’s the right plug
any tips and suggestions should I flush and fill again
why did no oil come out
car fax says the car gets oil change frequently
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...8c3de8e352.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...8c3de8e352.jpg

telcoman 10-10-2018 08:58 AM

^^^

Who changes/drains their own oil without removing the oil filler cap?
You don't appear qualified to do your own oil changes.?

Telcoman

Urbanengineer 10-10-2018 10:02 AM

You better check your oil level you may be grossly over filled.

Or you burn oil and need to regularly keep an eye on the level, which is not uncommon.

cleric670 10-10-2018 12:10 PM

It's very possible you only had 1/2 qt left in the crankcase. How often do you check your oil level? You should be checking weekly, it takes 10 seconds, always check on a cold engine before starting.

Hall Stevenson 10-10-2018 12:18 PM

Is this an AWD model, i.e. G35X ? Just wondering 'cause the front differential drain plug is close to the oil filter and it holds just a little over a 1/2 quart.

Did you just buy this (recently) ?

cleric670 10-10-2018 03:14 PM

Excellent thought Hall.

Sean McCants 10-10-2018 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7151985)
It's very possible you only had 1/2 qt left in the crankcase. How often do you check your oil level? You should be checking weekly, it takes 10 seconds, always check on a cold engine before starting.

now I check it every day because it’s hard to read the dipstick and I’m tryna find the average level

Sean McCants 10-10-2018 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson (Post 7151991)
Is this an AWD model, i.e. G35X ? Just wondering 'cause the front differential drain plug is close to the oil filter and it holds just a little over a 1/2 quart.

Did you just buy this (recently) ?

it’s a 05 6mt coupe,i did reciently buy the car and when I got it inspected they said I need a oil change soon and reciently when braking hard my oil light pops on so I decided to change my oil which fixed the problem

Hall Stevenson 10-10-2018 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sean McCants (Post 7152019)
...and when I got it inspected they said I need a oil change soon...

I have to believe it was fairly low when they checked it too. That should have been a 'red flag' to the inspector that has been ran with low oil levels. They just mentioned that it needed an oil change ? I'm surprised they didn't put a quart or two of oil in just to be nice.

Originally Posted by Sean McCants (Post 7152019)
...and reciently when braking hard my oil light pops on so I decided to change my oil which fixed the problem

Definitely sounds like it was very, very low. Oh well, no point dwelling on it now. Check it every day or every two days for a couple of weeks and see how the level changes. You may be able to get away with checking it once a week or once every two weeks if it's not losing oil too fast. Is it leaving oil spots when you park it ?

Hall Stevenson 10-10-2018 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sean McCants (Post 7152018)
now I check it every day because it’s hard to read the dipstick and I’m tryna find the average level

New/fresh oil can be hard to read on dipsticks. As others have said, check it when it has sat for hours - the longer the better. My tips:

1) Remove the dipstick, wipe it off, and leave it out. Cover the dipstick tube if you want to be extra cautious. Wait 5 minutes (??), re-insert it, pull it out and check the level. I suggest leaving it out because it seems that when you pull the dipstick out, it can 'drag' oil up the tube and when you quickly re-insert it, some of that oil can get on the dipstick, making it hard to get a clear reading. The thinner the dipstick tube the worse this is.
2) Before you remove the dipstick for your reading, take a paper towel and lay it flat somewhere on the engine. Remove the dipstick, lay the end with oil on the towel and press it down. Pull the dipstick towards you, only move it a 1/2", and keep it "straight". It should leave a "trail" on the paper towel. Where the trail stops, where does it line up on the dipstick ? That's your reading.

Sean McCants 10-10-2018 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson (Post 7152023)
I have to believe it was fairly low when they checked it too. That should have been a 'red flag' to the inspector that has been ran with low oil levels. They just mentioned that it needed an oil change ? I'm surprised they didn't put a quart or two of oil in just to be nice.

Definitely sounds like it was very, very low. Oh well, no point dwelling on it now. Check it every day or every two days for a couple of weeks and see how the level changes. You may be able to get away with checking it once a week or once every two weeks if it's not losing oil too fast. Is it leaving oil spots when you park it ?

the inspection people recommended I changed it early because the oil was dirty not low.i never get oil stains any where.do you think I should do another oil change

Hall Stevenson 10-11-2018 07:06 AM

No, change it again in a few thousand miles.

Mignav01 10-11-2018 03:48 PM

The oil light is pretty much useless I've found and if it comes on you're pretty much empty. Source - ran an 03 coupe down to 2 quarts ish once as an uninformed driver. Every time I hit the brakes hard the light would come on. Keep a really close eye on the level from now on and pray that the engine is alright

cleric670 10-11-2018 05:33 PM

I think it's more a testament to how well the oil pump design is, that it takes such a drastic loss of volume to trigger the dummy light means it's incredibly well designed to scavenge every last drop from the pan.

That light is really only there in case of a hemorrhage situation anyways, you're SUPPOSED to check oil regularly but if you hit debris on the highway or rupture the oil filter gaskeat and dump your crankcase quickly you need the light so your motor doesn't seize.

Mignav01 10-11-2018 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7152093)
I think it's more a testament to how well the oil pump design is, that it takes such a drastic loss of volume to trigger the dummy light means it's incredibly well designed to scavenge every last drop from the pan.

That light is really only there in case of a hemorrhage situation anyways, you're SUPPOSED to check oil regularly but if you hit debris on the highway or rupture the oil filter gaskeat and dump your crankcase quickly you need the light so your motor doesn't seize.

I definitely agree, wasn't intending to bag on the oil pump. Was just saying that going off of the light is pointless Lol, but considering the fact I ran down to sub 2 quarts with no engine damage whatsoever is really impressive