G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Engine Whine (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/465959-engine-whine.html)

Klutes 02-16-2019 08:10 PM

Engine Whine

Hey guys, hoping to get some answers here on a sound I’ve been hearing. I drive a 06’ coupe auto non revup 92,000 miles and since the day I’ve bought it, it’s made a faint whine noise. It’s more audiable on a cold engine and its barely audiable when warmed up. I uploaded a video of the sound I’m hearing on cold engine below. Ive already ruled out ac compressor, alternator, and power steering pump by removing the belts and starting the car. Sound was still there, if this is normal also please let me know! Thank you for any help!

cleric670 02-16-2019 08:17 PM

Upload it to youtube then post the link here.

Klutes 02-16-2019 08:23 PM

Klutes 02-16-2019 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7161719)
Upload it to youtube then post the link here.

done!

FreshLikeAG 02-16-2019 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Klutes (Post 7161722)

done!

Didnt work

Klutes 02-16-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG (Post 7161728)
Didnt work

eh sorry, YouTube’s security is a little too conservative, should be back up.

Blue Dream 02-17-2019 07:01 AM

The motor sounds normal to me, the VQ's aren't a super quiet motor. Add in the loud azz fans and it sounds like a damn jet motor lol.

cleric670 02-17-2019 12:12 PM

I don't hear anything abnormal aside from a little noise on the valvetrain which is expected from a 100k mile motor.

If you do think there's a problem take off the drive and accessory belt and spin each pulley by hand, should be 100% smooth, with a little resistance, zero noise. If you.can spin any of the and they just keep spinning for a dozen or more revolutions and have noise then they're worn and need replacing. If you've never replaced the adjuster pulleys for each belt I can almost guarantee they're shot with 100k on them.

Are you sure you're not hearing power steering whine? Does it get louder when you slightly turn the steering wheel with the hood open? If you havent replaced the PS fluid ever then buy a cheap turkey baster, suck the fluid out of the PS reservoir and refill it. Do that each week for a month and after 4 fluid swaps you've exchanged almost all the fluid which should he good for another 30k miles or so.

It's a good habit to just do a PS fluid exchange like that every 20-30k when you change fluid in the differential and transmission. It only holds 1qt of total volume

Klutes 02-17-2019 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7161743)
I don't hear anything abnormal aside from a little noise on the valvetrain which is expected from a 100k mile motor.

If you do think there's a problem take off the drive and accessory belt and spin each pulley by hand, should be 100% smooth, with a little resistance, zero noise. If you.can spin any of the and they just keep spinning for a dozen or more revolutions and have noise then they're worn and need replacing. If you've never replaced the adjuster pulleys for each belt I can almost guarantee they're shot with 100k on them.

Are you sure you're not hearing power steering whine? Does it get louder when you slightly turn the steering wheel with the hood open? If you havent replaced the PS fluid ever then buy a cheap turkey baster, suck the fluid out of the PS reservoir and refill it. Do that each week for a month and after 4 fluid swaps you've exchanged almost all the fluid which should he good for another 30k miles or so.

It's a good habit to just do a PS fluid exchange like that every 20-30k when you change fluid in the differential and transmission. It only holds 1qt of total volume

Ok great, definitely haven’t heard this noise on any other car that I’ve owned before but if you guys say it’s normal for the VQ I’ll take your word for it!

Actually in the video that I posted all the accessory belts are removed, so the car was just running off the battery for a few seconds while I filmed. I wanted to rule out all the pullys, alternator, power steering, and ac compressor from the start. It originally sounded like an old power steering pump or a bad alternator bearing to me but the car was still making the noise even without any of those components running.

To be thourogh ill take another video with revs this time and maybe some driving to see if I can better capture what im talking about.

Klutes 04-23-2019 06:00 PM

Sorry for reviving this but I’ve been busy! So I found out the whine happens when the engine is cold. After about 10-15 minutes of driving it’s a lot less audible to the point that I can’t hear it. I uploaded another video to show what I’m talking about. It’s the whine that goes with the revs. Let me know what y’all think!

Blue Dream 04-25-2019 11:04 AM

Sounds normal to me, it's probably belt related but nothing to be worried atm.