G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Jwt twin turbo help. (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/466384-jwt-twin-turbo-help.html)

williwill0902 04-08-2019 01:37 PM

Jwt twin turbo help.

HI everyone I'm finally getting ready to go fi. Ive had my g for 13 years but kids and life kept me from pulling the trigger. Im planning on getting ready to order the Jim wolf twin turbo set up for my 04G35 coupe. Has anyone done the Instalation them selves? I was planning on doing it at home in my garage on jack stands....I was looking for the most common problems that anyone has ran into and what type if any special tools will be required for the hard to get spots. Ill have a ton of more questions before I get started but I believe this a be a good starting point. 04 g35 5at completely stock with 170k. How do you guys feel with my mileage and auto tranny? Worth it? I talked to Jwt they said it's very possible as long as I run low boost.I wanted to get 370- 400 rwhp. Any suggestions? Also the shop who does installation said it's difficult but can be done. But I was trying to save $2000 and also try and learn how to install myself for I've been wanting to learn for years. But at same time I want to make
sure it's done right. The shop also said I should get the valve body upgrade for my tranny, which I plan on having them install. Thanks

cleric670 04-08-2019 02:25 PM

I think with that many miles on the block it's not going to last long at all, but that depends a LOT on how you drive. I'd be surprised if you got 15k out of it though before you either smoked the clutches in the transmission or give the rings the death stroke. However if you're fine with replacing the motor when it goes out then that's not really a huge problem. You definitely won't be exceeding those estimated WHP numbers on the stock rods and if you try they will bend so definitely plan on lower boost, personally I'd shoot more for 5-6lbs and MAYBE 325whp considering the age of the powertrain unless you weren't really concerned with the short longevity.

Texasscout 04-08-2019 02:51 PM

I really think a better option is a LSx swap.

https://www.lojkits.com/products/350...lation-service

https://www.sikky.com/350z-g35-ls-build/

williwill0902 04-09-2019 02:09 AM

Sometimes the truth hurts

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7165337)
I think with that many miles on the block it's not going to last long at all, but that depends a LOT on how you drive. I'd be surprised if you got 15k out of it though before you either smoked the clutches in the transmission or give the rings the death stroke. However if you're fine with replacing the motor when it goes out then that's not really a huge problem. You definitely won't be exceeding those estimated WHP numbers on the stock rods and if you try they will bend so definitely plan on lower boost, personally I'd shoot more for 5-6lbs and MAYBE 325whp considering the age of the powertrain unless you weren't really concerned with the short longevity.

The plan is to have her last as long as possible. I have a bike as a daily driver and a family wagon for the kids but I still consider it my daily driver even though it's more like a weekend car. I've been dying to boost it since I got it 13 years ago but like I said before never got to it until now. I would hate to spend the $7k on the kit for only 15k miles. Plus a blown motor. How long do our motors last on stock internals boosted? Plus what's the rule of thumb to boost a stock motor before it's mileage is to high? Would you recommend rebuild first and what would need rebuilt? Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm looking for the expert advise before I spend my cash cause I'm no rich man. Thanks for the reply.

williwill0902 04-09-2019 02:13 AM

I will look into this

Originally Posted by Texasscout (Post 7165341)

I'm going to read into this more. I guess I could save up a little while longer to have this done bUT I really have no idea what it's all about. Is this too extreme for a daily driver looking for max 400rwhp? Plus I live in California and you know....

Pbfoot 04-09-2019 10:54 AM

Building an engine for boost involves low compression pistons, head studs, stronger rods. No way would I spend that kind of money on an engine with that many miles no matter how well it was taken care of. Supercharger would be the way to go. That being said no high mileage motor will live that long under any boost.

Texasscout 04-09-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by williwill0902 (Post 7165367)
The plan is to have her last as long as possible. I have a bike as a daily driver and a family wagon for the kids but I still consider it my daily driver even though it's more like a weekend car. I've been dying to boost it since I got it 13 years ago but like I said before never got to it until now. I would hate to spend the $7k on the kit for only 15k miles. Plus a blown motor. How long do our motors last on stock internals boosted? Plus what's the rule of thumb to boost a stock motor before it's mileage is to high? Would you recommend rebuild first and what would need rebuilt? Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm looking for the expert advise before I spend my cash cause I'm no rich man. Thanks for the reply.

These are not truck motors, they’re high strong and highly tuned. It is a known fact these motors will not put up with anything over 475 hp on stock internals. Take that as a warning.

herrschaft 04-09-2019 10:20 PM

Gotta pay to play. Turbos are a risky choice for a high mileage stock block. Spend the extra money and build the motor.

williwill0902 04-10-2019 07:33 AM

Looks like I'll have a lot more research and reading to do before I pull the trigger. My set back is if I plan on rebuilding the block and go fi is that I'm still limited with my 5at and with the money I end up dropping I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it in the end. I've read that the stock internals are good under boost up to 400hp but obviously not for a high mileage motor, which is why I was wanting to try boosting my ride but needed your guys feedback first. On a rebuilt motor, driven on low psi is it possible to get 100k out of it?

cleric670 04-10-2019 09:06 AM

It all depends on how hard you push the motor, driven hard you can expect around 60k (basically track use), driven mildly you can get well over 200k.

williwill0902 04-10-2019 09:55 AM

200k would be great

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7165464)
It all depends on how hard you push the motor, driven hard you can expect around 60k (basically track use), driven mildly you can get well over 200k.

I want it to last a while so I can enjoy it a little longer. I have body work done car looks mean, but at the end of the day it's all show and no go....

Urbanengineer 04-10-2019 10:36 AM

If you want to be fast for cheap, go get your motorcycle license!

Unfortunately adding power means you are gonna stress other components of the car too.

What is the condition of the diff bushings, suspension bushings, trans, etc?

Texasscout 04-10-2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by williwill0902 (Post 7165462)
Looks like I'll have a lot more research and reading to do before I pull the trigger. My set back is if I plan on rebuilding the block and go fi is that I'm still limited with my 5at and with the money I end up dropping I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it in the end. I've read that the stock internals are good under boost up to 400hp but obviously not for a high mileage motor, which is why I was wanting to try boosting my ride but needed your guys feedback first. On a rebuilt motor, driven on low psi is it possible to get 100k out of it?

It NEVER is. It must be a labor (and expense) of love. You will be lucky to get 10% of the value of what you will spend back.

cswlightning 04-10-2019 03:36 PM

My 2 cents, if you want to just get another couple fun years out of your G until you blow up the engine and part it out, a used nitrous kit sounds like what you're looking for. If you want to build your G to be a fast "forever car", LS swap is the practical way to go... there's a reason you never see turbo VQs around and they're always on baller builds when you do see 'em....

Texasscout 04-10-2019 04:00 PM

I think I can recall only 3-4 Turbo builds on here that lasted. They spent well into $30K doing it.