Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Nitrous Etiquette?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrous Etiquette?

Is there such a thing?
If you set up a race with someone.....is it the right thing to do .....to tell him that you have recently put nitrous on your car? Or is it just race what you bring? Just curious

Would not telling them you have nitrous be like a TT G racing a stock G and not telling them?

1-800-ILOANBOTTLES or www.INEEDTOBORROWABOTTLE.com

Last edited by Ninja350Z; 03-16-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my theory, but it is rooted in the traditional street-racing philosophy:

If you think your car is faster, you line up to see. Are you confident that your car is fast enough to hold it's own against most others, or are you only confident that your car is fast enough to beat the (insert car) next to you, because your quoted (manufacturer or magazine) 0-60 or 1/4 mile is less than his? You find out by running and winning or getting your *** handed to you.

We're not talking about independent testing of two OEM cars. It's usually about my car is faster than yours. So, for all concerned, shut up and prove it.

I hate the negotiating aspect of street racing. You have a slower car getting an advantage just to run with the faster car. Any and all discussion should have ended at '...slower car'.

It would only be if you were talking about a race for a significant amount of money that I would possibly consider it a good idea to mention. Used to be each guy would pop his hood and allow the other to take a look at most. Hence the reason all those sneaky mounting methods and, of course, the Sneaky Pete came to be.

Nitrous has long been a rude surprise to many a losing racer... ...which is why many consider it cheating of some sort. It's too easy, they'll say.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 03-16-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:47 PM
run what you brung

Old 03-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned
Yeah.............. I like the " You give 1/8 mile head start and I'll kick your sorry ***" LOL Like Ron said, if you can't run with the big boys, stay in the sandbox!!!!

Old 03-16-2006, 09:14 PM
What is it, The Fast & the Furious? Everyone pops their hoods. If it's friendly yes but if not just bring what you have IMO.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:02 PM
If it's between friends I say be straight up. Especially if you just want to see how your car does against your buddies.
If not it's up to the people racing to find out about each others cars before hand especially if there is money on the line.
Between friends just messing around asking the question should be enough a real sportsman/friend will let you know if they have it or not.
A guy I work with and I had this conversation a while back, he has one of the most well hidden kits I have ever seen, but said if it's a buddy race he always tells the other guy ahead of time just to be fair. If it's for $$ run what ya brung.
My personal opinion is that NO2 (or at least hiding the fact that you have it) is for folks that can't win any other way, kind of a desperation thing, on the other hand it is a really cheap power adder for the $$.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
just smoke him and laugh the whole time while doing it...

Old 03-18-2006, 06:14 PM
unless it was a friend of mine at best, if I have nitrous, thats my business. Its not cheating, its doing the exact thing that every other mod does to increase power. Its adding more oxygen to the combustion mixture. Also, 90% of the people who think of it as cheating are people that are uninformed in terms of car modifications. Almost every female I've ever spoken with on this topic says, "nitrous is cheating! anyone with nitrous can win." Flat out untrue. People watch fast n furious crap and think that nitrous is some magical bottle that automatically gives a car blinding speed (blurry vision!). Flat out ridiculous hollywood BS. One of my huge pet peeves.

With that said, I don't even use nitrous, but I dont see it as any different from any other modification. ****, its not even a cheap mod as people like to think it is. Typical nitrous bottles are 10 lbs. Most places charge $5+ dollars per pound. Usually people end up spending $55-60 per fill up of the tank. And guess what? The bigger the nitrous shot you're using, the more often you have to fill up! In the long run, if you use the nitrous oin a frequent basis, its very costly.

Now, if you only use nitrous to say...win races for money, it might pay off as a bit of extra insurance.

Edit: I love the people who are only cocky about their cars if they think the opposing car is bone stock. After the opposer wins, and they find out that the person actually has mods (nitrous, turbo, whatever), then they are like "Oh, well, if I would have known that, I wouldn't have even raced you! You have (insert mod)!"

I used to race my Plymouth Laser (turbo AWD) all the time because it was a sleeper. People would challenge me all the time and I'd walk all over them. After the race they would say that I "cheated" because I have turbo and didn't tell them about that fact.

Last edited by Keaka26; 03-18-2006 at 06:19 PM.