G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   FAQ & DIY (https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy-11/)
-   -   Has anybody installed the "Nissan" Steering wheel? **pics** (https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy/50857-has-anybody-installed-nissan-steering-wheel-pics.html)

_G_ 04-15-2005 01:01 AM

How to install the "Nissan" airbag module/Steering wheel. **pics**

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
I just want to emphasize that I am not a professional for this type of work, so by using this DIY, I will NOT be responsible for any malfunctions, damage, warranty and/or insurance issues, etc., to you or anybody else or your vehicle. This is simply a step by step of how I did it. By using this DIY, you agree to accepting full responsiblity for any and all malfunctions, damage, warranty and/or insurance issues, etc. to you or anybody else or your vehicle. Do this DIY at your own risk!

TO VIEW THE DIY PORTION, JUMP TO PAGE 3 OF THIS THREAD

skylinelikewhoa 04-15-2005 01:26 AM

Where would the steering wheel controls go?

MportPunk 04-15-2005 01:50 AM

hmmm... this is JDM from the nissan skyline, right? yeah, where are the steering wheel controls? this kind of looks like the 350z's steering wheel, only because that model is so bare-bones it doesn't have anything on it.
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/V35...00gtp_img1.jpg

HipHopPro 04-15-2005 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by _G_
I'm finally able to get my hands on a JDM "Nissan" steering wheel, but I'm wondering how hard is it to take off the old one and install the new one. Should I just take it somewhere to get it installed? What's easiest. Any ideas will help.

Thanks.

Nice. Where did you get it from? I want one. If you don't put that on your G, PM me I'll buy it from you if the price is right. I don't have to have the steering wheel controls.

PhxBlue 04-15-2005 02:16 AM

No controls no care.

xswl0931 04-15-2005 02:24 AM

If you're going with a JDM steering wheel, I think this would have been a better choice:

http://www.japanparts.com/NissanPart...221leather.JPG

BirdMan 04-15-2005 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've actually seen just the center piece of the steering wheel for sale off the Skyline V35. Supposedly it fits right in place and is just plug and play, however I think the airbag system has to be turned off to do the instal. Only downside of this was it was the $250 starting price, which is quite a lot to pay for a JDM look. The full steering wheel with airbag was listed somewhere in the $400-$500. Don't get me wrong, I'm down with the whole JDM conversion and all, but thats quite a hefty chunk of change that can be put towards much better things.

*Just for clarification, I outlined what I'm talking about in the pic but you'll need to click and see the larger image to tell*

GTT 04-15-2005 05:26 AM

I am wondering why do u guys buy nissan steering wheel, it's not going to make your car faster. Infiniti sign looks better than nissan

Speedoholic 04-15-2005 07:21 AM

You brought up the most important point yourself. Don't mess with the airbag. First thing I would do is disconnect the battery to prevent this thing from blowing up right in your face. But even with the battery disconnected, I would still think twice before doing it myself. You might end up screwing the airbag system and it might not work next time when you "really need it" (god forbid).

HipHopPro 04-15-2005 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by BirdMan
I've actually seen just the center piece of the steering wheel for sale off the Skyline V35. Supposedly it fits right in place and is just plug and play, however I think the airbag system has to be turned off to do the instal. Only downside of this was it was the $250 starting price, which is quite a lot to pay for a JDM look. The full steering wheel with airbag was listed somewhere in the $400-$500. Don't get me wrong, I'm down with the whole JDM conversion and all, but thats quite a hefty chunk of change that can be put towards much better things.

*Just for clarification, I outlined what I'm talking about in the pic but you'll need to click and see the larger image to tell*

Bridman,
Where did you see it for sale? (web/store) can you let me know. Thanx.

masetodd 04-15-2005 11:47 AM

I would never give up my steering wheel controls. I LOVE THEM! YOU CAN'T HAVE THEM. STAY AWAY!!!! MINE! MINE! MINE!

BirdMan 04-15-2005 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by HipHopPro
Bridman,
Where did you see it for sale? (web/store) can you let me know. Thanx.

HipHop its kind of a hit or miss with this one. Its not really a specific vendor but basically is an individual over in Japan who occassionally posts JDM stuff on Ebay to sell them to specific interests. Obviously he doesn't have a regular stock, its just random. I did a search and couldn't find anything, but your best bet would be too occassional search Ebay and see what happens. Sorry I couldn't help out more.

xkoraznboix 04-15-2005 02:43 PM

nice! JDM eh? try to take the center piece off, i dont kno how, i hope the air bag doesnt pop out on you! haha jk def try to keep wheel controls.

BlackM6C 04-15-2005 06:21 PM

I wouldent touch the airbag..Not smart..And as mentioned above..Why? Its not any nicer, and probably not worth the hundreds of dollars and possible install issues...

Gee Im Fast 04-15-2005 07:19 PM

Tampering with airbags or replacing an airbag steering wheel with one without an airbag can your cause the insurance company not to pay a dime if something happens to you in an accident...