G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   FAQ & DIY (https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy-11/)
-   -   Valentine One installation (https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy/5887-valentine-one-installation.html)

lebushaw 06-14-2003 09:38 PM

Valentine One installation

This information is very similar to the post by "Colonel".

My coupe does not have the powered Homelink rearview mirror. I have always mounted my Valentine One radar detectors above the mirror.

In reading through the service manual, I found that the power to the interior lights between the sun visors has a time out function. After the ignition has been off and a door has been closed for more than 30 minutes, power is cut off to the interior light circuit. This makes a great circuit for your radar detector.

Using a flat blade screwdriver or a putty knife carefully pry down the rear (car's rear direction) of the interior light assembly. There is a small white 3 wire connector on the passenger side of that assembly that you will need to unplug. Slide a very small screwdriver into the connector release catch and it will come apart easily.

This connector contains a black wire (ground), a red with black trace wire (+12 volts), and a purple wire (control circuit). My Valentine One uses an adapter that converts the wiring to standard RJ45 phone connectors. Just wire the Valentine One adapter red and black wires to this lighting circuit red/black and black wires. It does no good to try "bug" the wiring prior to hookup because the circuit does not work if it is unpluged from the light assembly.

I used some double stick tape to stick this adapter up into the headliner after fishing a short one foot telephone cord down thru the headliner notch at the windshield. This notch is there for the power cord to the Homelink transmitter (which I didn't have).

I have always just stuck my radar detectors on the top of the rearview mirrors with double stick tape (3M - love the stuff!). Speaking of mirrors, I thought the non-Homelink rearview mirror was kinda "cheap quality". I have been scrounging GM rearview mirrors from the salvage yards for years. The mirrors that I'm talking about have the two built in lights on the bottoms. These mirrors are excellent quality and when put into convertibles offer overhead light when none was available. I have no plans on wiring the mirror lights in my coupe. These mirrors are also about an inch wider than the standard G35 mirror. So my G35c has a GM mirror (don't tell anyone)!

Now - when you open a door, the interior lights and your radar detector comes on (assuming it was already turned on). As long as the ignition is ON, power flows to the interior light circuit. Turn the ignition OFF , exit, and close the door, and that power is cancelled at 30 minutes. There are two timing circuits - the lights will time out within a minute after closing the door but power will remain at the radar detector for those 30 minutes. Every time you open the door but leave the ignition OFF, that 30 minute timer restarts.

I tried shooting photos during the wiring but got so much glaring that they were pretty much useless.

Works great!

Larry Bushaw - 6MT coupe - "There's nothing a donut won't solve!"