Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

rb26 motor in a G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rb26 motor in a G35?

Has anyone heard or seen this? a rb26 motor in a G? my friend is thinkin bout goin this route... he thinks it'll b "original" his shop is goint o sponsor him and basically do the swap and everything else for him. The block can handle more power then the aluminum vq block which will be a big +++ later on when he reaches the big #'s. Just wanted to hear yall's opinions about the whole ordeal. QUestions, comments, concerns.... please post. I forgot the shop name but its not that big. Havent gone their yet but its in VA. Maybe a 30 minute drive outside of DC.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:15 AM
Premier Member

Yeah I've heard of it... In Japan there's a few done with the RB26DETT... But thats breaking the bank ...

Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
je import performance in rosedale md is almost finished with one.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
He would spend Way more money on the complete RB26 swap and build up (not to mention all the 'exciting' problems that will have to be tackled) than if he just built and TT'd the VQ.....And you'd end up at the same power levels....

... but then he could say "look guys, i have an RB in my G!" ........

Old 07-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'd love to put a motor that's probably 30-50% heavier and at least 50% longer in the front of my G!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
go for it if u have the money

Old 07-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rb26dett swap!!!

First , I like to say hello to everyone!!! I`m a long time reader of this forum,but this is my first time writting here.
Ok the swap will be cheaper that do a full build up on a VQ35DE + the turbo kit.Why I say is cheaper??? I have work my self on rb26dett engine ,I did 2 engine swap 1 rb26dett on my 1988 300zx and the other was a rb25det on my earlier 300zx(1986) Both with rb25det tranny.
If you use the stock rb26dett engine(no internals upgrade)this engine will handle 600rwhp with a good tune.I use a microthec ECU(standalone ECU)and a single turbo(to4R).I did the swap myself + istalled the microthec ecu.The tunnig was done by a friend.I`m sure tha the engine will have enough space inside the G35,the big question is the tranny I think here is where custom work need to be done.
Most of you will say "if you know so much why you dont do the swap in your G ?".Well, first if any of you know how much a G35 coupe with brembo package cost in Puerto Rico ($$$$48,000-52,000) .
I recomend to any thas is going to do the swap, Do IT if $$$ is a problen do the swap with a stand alone ECU to control fuel/ignition and leave the stock ecu to control all other stuff.Cost of parts alone, here in P.R.is rb26dett $3,200 ,rb25det tranny $800,microtech $ 1,500,some 750cc(if go big single turbo) injectors $98(each) custom intercooler $1,000 tunning $600 ,If you paid for custom work of swap(does not apply to me i do all my stuff)around $3,500 to $4,000. You have real engine that can withstand the heaviest beatting you can throw to it.That will REV to 8,500 without any kind of problem.
Stock turbos will support around 450whp.Go single turbo like I did and you have 600rwhp @20psi ,If not enough put some hks(272)cams package and you have a engine that will rev to 9,500 to 10,000 so list of parts keep going!!!!.the VQ35de is a real ligth and powerfull engine but rb26dett= GOD in in the world of engines , j2z engine = ANGELS .If any questions email me!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
SkyForce_2011 (11-16-2017)
Old 07-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Red Card Crew

IMHO, I'd much rather have a LS2 in there.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I say if you have the money and time then go for it. Even if there are a couple out there it would still be very unique.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
It can be done, but to do it 'right' it will cost some money. It will NOT be as easy as stated above. There will be a ton of custom fab work.

The biggest issue will be making all the guages work right, if that is important (and in a $35K car I would think that it would be).

You're best bet would be to leave the OEM ECU in place, and trick it in to thinking a VQ is still in there. This means custom sensor conversions (crank angle, cam angle, VSS, temps, etc). If the stock ECU still sees the correct signals it will operate as normal, but it won't do anything (fuel or spark). This will allow the BCM to function properly, and if the stock ECU still sees the correct data all the guages will still work.

To control the RB26 you can go the stand alone route. It's as easy as that.

The motor mounts and tranny coupler is going to be the hard part. You might as well swap a tranny that will mate up with the RB26 and custom make the driveshaft and rear axles, if needed.

After that, there would only be little things left to worry about, like interfacing the starter with the OEM wiring. I'm not sure exactly how that would work, but I would think with a stand alone ECU the immobilizer would be bypassed and out of the picture. Of course, if an incorrect key is seen who knows what the OEM ECU would do.

Good luck, and plan on spending some time and money on this project.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Well I never said that is a piece of cake dropping a rb26dett engine , making the engine fit in a g35 is not that hard ,just a custom engine mounts thats not big deal,electrical parts are!! thats why I recomend going stand alone.
Someone said custom sensors conversion, You will be surprise because many of nissan sensors are the same just installed in a different engine. In my opinion if someone whats to be different and do the swap this is the engine have to be USE!!!!!!
If someone wants 550whp from G35 I will said keep the VQ35de build a short block install turbonetics stage 1.5 or stage 2 when it comes out, but if want more than that I recomend the swap will be cheaper and more reliable in the long term.Check the price for a fully build sleeve VQ35DE long block + removal + installation+ tunnig+ parts will be more expensive than do the swap.With the rb26dett theres no head lift above 550whp + still have even more room to grow than a fully built VQ35.Belive me I extracted 537whp from a Rb25det with a T66 turbo stock block and 603rwhp from a stock RB26dett with a Hks TO4R single turbo kit.By no means I`m saying the VQ35 does not have potential,is just that the Rb26dett engine is a detuned race engine!!!!!!

Last edited by Javier; 07-19-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Look, these guys are Not doing the work themselves.
I Too have swapped an RB into a 240 and as "easy" as that was, it is Surely Not for the faint at heart!

This converstation is going nowhere, ... but hey, ... I'm in f-en iraq and have nothing better to do than write more crap to prove a point.

WHY would ANYONE who wanted serious HP put a Single kit on a V6??
Do you not go to the 350Z boards??? Do you not see how many people are running upwards of 600HP reliably?? You make it sound difficult, and it is not.
Keeping the original motor in the car WILL be less expensive. Period.

The prices you quoted for the RB stuff, too low. And let's add in the Fact that they are used motors and you don't know what you're getting unless you "know" the person you're dealing with. One of the RB swaps we did was fine, the other, not-so-fine. You talk about going single turbo, there's More money, ... again, all the things you add in there drive the cost up more and more.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the RBs! ... but, IMHO, you don't give that kind of advice to someone that really doesn't know any better. He's going to "hand his car over" to some shop. He'll be paying out the a$$.
I know what it's like living on an island and getting hookups with almost everything, but it's definitely not like that for the average guy here.

If he were to do the work himself on the VQ as well, he'd be saving even more money. If he did the work on the RB swap, he wouldn't be in bad shape, but would have to fabricate a lot of stuff, plus figure ou the wiring, which is Not easy. The RB swaps we did back in 2002 were more difficult b/c there was No info on the internet like there is now....

Can it be done, absolutely. Would it be sweet, definitely. Would it be cheap, or even the 'cheaper' route to 600-700hp, ... not really.
that's my point
Look at all the Japanese Tuners that have already done it in 350's and G's... look at all the 'free' custom fab they did themselves.

Last edited by NoLimit; 07-19-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Hey nolimit!!!!!

I said to put a single turbo in a V6 for less than 550whp wich turbonetics kit is good for and cheaper than many twins kit out there. I said single turbo in the RB26!!wich will make working in the car easier + more HP potential.As going to my350z board I been there tons of turbo VQ enines with head lif issues ,and there someone ask the same question of the RBswap ,ok.If the prices I said are too low use the search in the internet and you will find good prices also in the U.S.A
If more power(more than 550whp)needed for the amount of money need to be invested to be so call "reliable" with the Vq35 will be more expensive than do the swap period.A fully sleeve Vq engine will have huge power potential equally as a stock rb26dett,imagine what a Rb26 with just piston ,rods and cams will do!!more than the VQ period.Like I said before !!!VQ HAS POWER PONTENTIAL BUT THE RB26DETT IS A RACE DETUNED ENGINE"easy as that
P.S. !If you think that to have serious power you need twins,just search and see the TO4R.com website + search for early 300zx (1984 to 1989) and see how much power they are making CESAR Febus .Lazcano both broke all records with single turbos( too bad they swich to twins now)check how many supra dump the twins for single cheaper but still efective

Last edited by Javier; 07-19-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
yeah, when i mentioned the twin vs single issue, that was b/c you were talking about big power....
I know most guys use single turbos on the straight six's, ..... those are drag cars too, .... and one of the reasons for the switch to a single is Cost! Try buying two Garrett turbos after the ones you just bought were not what you expected and need something larger, ... or more appropriate for your application. That **** ain't cool!

As far as the head lift issues, ... that has Already been addressed, ... a head will lift on almost any car if it ain't tuned properly. (too much timing) Plus with the L19 head studs, it's even more of a thing of the past....

anyway, ....... whatever
this kid ain't getting either anyhow...........

Old 07-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Red Card Crew

Who needs turbos or heavy iron blocks? 505hp na. 475ftlbs torque na

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: rb26 motor in a G35?