Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

STS Turbo Kit Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
His car sounds like how I'd like mine. Quiet exhaust and just enough spool and BOV sound to know its a turbo car at the right RPMs. Let me ask you this, since both of your cars sound a little different on the dyno, what's the difference between the first gen kits and the revised one he's running now?

As for the STS thread digging, FI'ed, don't be surprised if you see me find those threads lol. I'm usually good at locating these things

Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sillief00l went through so many upgrade that it is hard to keep up with him. I believe that video is with the FI HFC so it should be quieter.. After a few weeks of that video his HFC blew on him. His car is not your standard STS car coz he has some additional upgrade on his exhaust to make it quieter.

One thing I know is that the new revise piping that run through the middle of the car hit peak power sooner than old one that run through the side. At least that was the case for Sillief00l when he switched to the revised piping.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Wow. I'd like to find out what exactly did he do to blow his cats. I can't imagine how hard do you have to drive with this system before the cats melt. Before last week, I'd never heard of this happening.

I'm also interested in what he actually did to make the car run quieter like that. I mean in his clips, you hear the dyno machine more than his car and turbo's spooling. That's what I'd like to do especially for just cruising around out of boost etc.

Did he ever post any other additional clips? I can't seem to find any around the net.
For me, I'd be happy to see a clip like a cold start/rev, idle and cruising around clip similar to yours FI'ed

Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
He has the same magnaflow midpipe muffler that JonnyC has but haven't installed yet (check the my350z post)... I'm not sure if he already has muffler installed on that video though. Sillief00l already explained here how and why his HFC blew but dont worry to much coz he's running 14psi when he blew his HFC. I believe what I posted was wrong, he blew something else a few weeks after that video and not his cat... His entire exhaust is also jethot coated and heat wrap but I'm not sure if that helped quiet down the exhaust.

I have been in his car and his car is definitely much more quieter than mine.. not to mention pull much harder...lol

Here is his post from another thread/

Originally Posted by sillief00l
I don't know when they precisely blew, because wasn't checking specifically for blown CAT bits. I just happened to notice debris when performing other modifications on downstream exhaust parts that I took down months later. However, if I were to give it an educated guess, I think the OEM CATS held up a few months, while the HFC CATS held up a few weeks.

Heat makes a CAT work. Too much heat makes a CAT die. Turbos cause your exhaust (especially the area between the motor and the turbo) to run hotter. Running too rich causes unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust. Fuel settling on the surface of a CAT seriously increases its heat exposure. JetHot coating and header-wrap are all designed to keep heat in the pipes. With our setups, I think there are a ton of ways we can configure our systems to kill CATs of any kind. So be prudent with your choices.
To STS's credit, the company owner says when tuned properly, their systems have not posed any significant risk to the destruction of OEM CATs.

Hope this helps.
That sum everything up. He was running conservative back then and did run Rich A/F on his tune. Anything below 11.3:1 in my book is Rich and he was running lower than that...

Last edited by FI'ed G; 03-24-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow I can't wait to read his response to the PM I just sent him. Why would someone run their car too rich? How does it benefit? Isn't it better to lean things out vs go rich

2. I would assume he didn't heat wrap his cats. Let's say he left that section of the piping unwrapped and everything else wrapped, how would it cause the HFCs and stock cats to blow?

I'm still trying to understand the exhaust flow and overall flow of the STS system vs a standard single or twin turbo system.

Name:  sts4.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  sts5.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  92.8 KB

If both the STS and standard single turbo systems have similar characteristics, wouldn't it be safe to say that any FI (single turbo or STS single turbo) run this risk of blowing out your cats?

If that were the case, almost everyone with any kind of turbo on the forum running HFCs or stock cats would be in big trouble.

Something has to be different about the design of this system that causes the the cats to melt after a few weeks of use.

Is there anyone out there that had this installed that still has their stock Cats or HFCs still intact?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Running rich has it's benefit and it does give you that extra margin for error. You rather run on the rich side than the lean side though especially on stock motor. We already answered most of your questions, I ran my stock cat for 10 months without a problem. Most turbo'ed car run cat'less anyways and if they do they dont use OEM cat for the same reason stated above. You really need a CAT that is meant to handle boosted car and that is it...

Front mount is a little different than rear-mount though. With the front mount, you risk of damaging the turbo when running to rich or using anti-lag.. I dont want to go deeper with Anti-lag coz I know I'll regret it.. lol In short any extra fuel not being burned goes to the turbo first and not the cat but the cat still get hit with extreme hight temp so your average NA CAT may not be able to handle it either, not to mention the power hit you'll experience with CAT. In both cases, Cat'less > w/ CAT for rear mount and front mount turbo.

Last edited by FI'ed G; 03-24-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I know this is late but thanks again FI'ed G. Did they ever sort out this issue with this customer's car?

If so, what was the outcome?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 PM
hey guys, i'm the owner of the car that the OP, Forbes, linked up in this thread.

it's been a year since we've posted up about this and the car has been in the hands of the guys at z car for a few months now..

the car never produced the kind of power we were looking for and after several months of driving, the turbo started hemorrhaging. After hounding the guys at STS for a year about the turbo being faulty they finally admitted (last friday) that they sent us the wrong turbo.

new turbo enroute. let's see this thing put up some numbers..

Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, sorry to hear about all the problems. Keep us updated.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
In for updates. Are they sending you the same turbo or a different brand/model?

Old 05-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by gtf unlimited
and after several months of driving, the turbo started hemorrhaging. After hounding the guys at sts for a year about the turbo being faulty they finally admitted (last friday) that they sent us the wrong turbo.
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwww

Old 06-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
updates?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Customer service is everything. Too bad STS failed so miserably. Sorry to hear but thanks for sharing - saves others the headache of having to deal with them.