Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Forged Performance: rcdash's twin turbo G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Arrow Forged Performance: rcdash's twin turbo G35

This site got me started and hooked, and I quickly became addicted to the hard core stuff over at my350. Thought I would share though for old times sake! I need to spend more time back here - miss my good ol NA days here.

This is a very brief summary write up of my quest into the world of Forced Induction. It is as brief as I can make it and still tell the story, which starts back to the summer of 2004. My trusty old 93 Saturn SL2 (twin overhead cam and 132 horses baby) had served me well for over a decade but it was burning oil badly - time to move on. The only thing catching my eye on the road in the price range I was interested in was this new car with beautiful lines – the G35 coupe. Walked in to a dealership, saw one on the lot that put a twinkle in my eye and walked off with a new G35 loaded for 34k. Now this was my first automatic as (a) I was ready for a change, (b) the manual mode impressed me, and (c) most importantly, I know who to keep happy and my better half cannot drive a stick (fast forward 5 yrs and my wife has driven my car a total of 3 times, never with FI!).

The thrill of driving a car with this much torque was addicting, almost as addicting as browsing the forums on my350z. Put the two together and I was on a quest for knowledge and obsession for modifying the car. Stillen sways, MD spacer (3/8” old school), and the infamous VRT strut tower brace started me down a slippery slope from which I would not recover. I was in it for the long haul – I just didn’t know it quite yet. 2005 and 2006 would see me still in NA form working on the carPC and audio system and eventually picking up a FastIntentions true dual exhaust in early 2007.

I started planning for twin turbos, targetting 500 whp, and picked up a UTEC in the process to get my feet wet with tuning NA. If I was going into this, it was with a goal of learning as much as I could given the investment I thought I would have to make to see it through (it ended up being more – doh!). Despite researching for over a year, I honestly didn’t know what I was in for. I bugged Sharif at Forged Performance for months with questions. I visited his shop in April and he gave me a ride in his Z. I then realized I was addicted. I had to feel that torque again, on demand. The drop off date ended up being mid May 2007. My scheduled pick up date was July 14th (yes of that same year). HA! One thing led to another. I kept upgrading the build – lots of details I hadn’t considered. APS TT changed to the JWT TT with 700bb turbos (the tuner kit had just been released and I began to worry about support from APS in the future). I decided to go with one of the first stage 3 built 5AT from GTM. That led to further delays. I decided to go with one of the first Haltech units.

That wasn’t such a big delay, but it all added up to a mid October pick up date. I love the Haltech. It deserves it's own write up, but suffice to say that I owe a great debt to Hal for his support and time helping me to understand the Haltech's capabilities and learn how to tune. Way above and beyond the call of duty, my friend. Sharif was working hard with that Haltech unit, adjusting cams, fuel, timing but couldn’t hit my target of 500 whp on that darn DD dyno of his and I have to admit I was disappointed, but he did manage this at 14 psi:

Well I had the car home for a couple weeks and ran into a few minor snags (coolant leak primarily), all of which Sharif talked me through. I learned a lot about the car! I managed to pass state inspection with 3.5” test pipes and I thought all was golden at last. Until the next day. My GTM-5AT started slipping. Crap. I checked fluid and it was low. Crap. I uttered many other explicatives, but for now, in retrospect, one will suffice. Sharif was there for me though. He arranged transport, took the car back, shipped the 5AT back to GTM. Sam analyzed it – the clutch packs had severely overheated. This wasn't a design issue - the GTM-5AT is stout, rebuilt for high power and remachined for enhanced cooling. It was just human error - it happens. Sam and Sharif worked it out between themselves. I was very glad then that they have a great working relationship. Suffice to say that working with a new product sometimes involves a learning curve and there’s usually several people involved in the build up of any single car. No blaming or accusations. I talked to both Sam and Sharif on the phone and both reassured me I would be taken care of. I was. It took time though and I learned to be patient. Anyway, a very specific protocol for install and break in is now used for all of GTM’s 5AT installs. I made sure a temp gauge went on there after that also. The GTM-5AT stage 3 transmission is one beautiful piece of work - very smooth for daily driving and downright aggressive in the upper rpm range. There is no slipping at all, at least at my power levels – very crisp and predictable shifting. With paddle shifters, it is truly awesome. I love it. An innovate logging system allows me to record whatever I want, all the time!

While Sharif had the car and we were waiting on the rebuilt transmission, I decided that the fumes from the APS 3.5” test pipes were a bit much. With the car parked in my garage, I was fumigating the place with hydrocarbons every morning and evening. It stuck to my clothes as I walked through the garage. My wife and daughter hated it. So I had Sharif put on 4” custom metallics cats. The largest I could find and had them welded right into the APS 3.5” test pipes.

I also had him switch from the FI exhaust (2.5” true dual) to the Greddy evoTT (2.76” true dual). I was hoping for not too great a hit in power. Well, no such luck. I took quite a big hit. Turbos don’t like backpressure – I read it a hundred times – but I had to confirm it for myself! Here’s Sharif trying to make power with those cats on – weak sauce!

But I had my car back and it was a rocket, even at these power levels. I got it back in time for ZdayZ, May 2008, and had a blast up in the mountains. Despite a cooler sitting right behind the passenger side IC, the transmission would get hot on the mountain slopes. In large part I felt this was due to the high stall TC that is part of the GTM stage 3 build up, but lord was it fast in a straight line. The car did really well against 6MTs with more power, thanks to the GTM-5AT. It had been going too smoothly. Something had to go wrong, of course. My oil filter blew off on a high speed pass thanks to a customer supplied oil sandwich adapter. Check out the threads on the silver piece I supplied vs. the Mocal piece in gold:

Sharif was there, once again, along with the guys at the airstrip to help me out. Thanks to a ride to AutoZone from Tyler, I was back with 5 qts and a new filter. 4 qts later and a once over by Sharif and she purred back to life. Used oil analysis on this oil turned out excellent. So I escaped relatively unscathed. If that oil filter had popped off driving at night in the mountains, I would’ve never known – and would’ve been in deep trouble. I count myself lucky despite the heart stopping event.

(continued next post)

Last edited by rcdash; 02-17-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Fast forward a bit and the car has been humming along but I was looking to get back some of that lost power. Tony at Motordyne has a new exhaust system with interchangeable components and a mid stream catalytic converter. I thought it's time to get rid of the cats right behind the turbos! I took the car back to Forged last Christmas for a revised torque converter install (lower stall), custom dual CAI (instead of JWT’s single), MAF relocation to the charge pipe (required by the 5AT TCM), and removal of the cats from the downpipes among a few other odds and ends. While I'm still waiting on MD's new true dual exhaust setup for FI, I'm ready for it. Bring it on Tony.

Power came back but Sharif still couldn’t hit the 500 whp mark. On the same tune, the boost level raised from 14 to 15 psi and power levels certainly made a healthy jump. Here is the best 3rd gear run Sharif could muster.

We both forgot to do a run in 4th gear and there’s usually a little bump in power from that though not enough for 25 whp on Sharif’s dyno. I was a little disappointed but had learned enough by this point not to go chasing a number. There was so much to like with the work done by Chris, one of the best techs at Forged. The dual intakes were fabulous and have kept air temps down, even sitting at lights. He relocated the coolant and wiper reservoirs to the front – very cleanly done. A nice vacuum port cleaned up the spaghetti of hoses that use to surround the plenum. To conclude this story for now, I took the car to a local Dynojet, and had the power checked with a 4th gear run at 15 psi, compared to 4th gear at 14 psi with cats:

Here's a dynojet comparison, with dual 4" metallic cats and without - doesn't seem to be a way around the power loss , but I loved those cats:

521 max whp, 481 max wtq. DJ STD correction. Bottom line, the car is fantastic – it is my personalized super car. The journey has been long, and admittedly sometimes agonizingly frustrating, but with a healthy dose of patience, always ends up rewarding. The world of FI is unpredictable to say the least. Expensive? Yes, but I wouldn’t trade the experience for any other.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9NL9lRTY8P8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9NL9lRTY8P8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(sorry this turned more into a 4th gear run - lol. Disclaimer: That run was performed on a private dead end service road. Do not attempt at home or on public roads!)

Here's the build list summary:

Engine
- Forged Performance S1 shortblock
- Arias ED pistons, .02 overbore
- Eagle rods
- HKS headgasket
- L19 headstuds
- JWT S2 cams, valve springs
- No headwork
- Evans NPG+ coolant since day 1
- CJM stage 1 fuel system, HKS 1000 cc injectors
- Haltech EMS w/ dual closed loop wideband control
- Osiris tuner for reflash (speed limiter, idle adjustment, Cipher diagnostics, CEL removal)

Drivetrain
- GTM stage 3 fully built automatic transmission, WB paddle shifters
- Carbonetics ATS carbon rear limited slip differential, 3.5 rear diff gears

JWT 700bb twin turbo kit
- twin GT2860RS turbos
- custom dual cold air intake
- upgraded coolant lines
- APS 3.5" downpipes mated to Greddy evoTT exhaust

Suspension
- Tein monoflex
- SPL front camber arms, street spec version
- Rear FP eccentric toe bolts, camber arms
- Alignment set at -1.7 in the rear, -1.5 up front
- Michellin Pilot Sport PS2 summer tires, 295/35R18 and 235/40R18
- Scott's front strut tower brace

Brakes
- Stoptech 6 piston, 355 mm slotted 2 piece rotors front
- Stoptech 4 piston, 355 mm slotted 2 piece rotors rear
- Powder coated by Mike the powder coater! Thanks Mike!

Audio
- Diamond audio S600 hex speaker components up front
- Diamond audio coaxials for rear fill
- Infinity 4 channel amp, 110W x 4
- Kicker 10" sub in false trunk floor
- Alpine 400W class D amp for sub
- carPC w/ Asus Xonar D2 sound card for audio, 118dB S/N! Streetdeck navigation / integration software.

phew! and that's about it. the end.

Last edited by rcdash; 04-14-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow. you hit 140+ real quick! very nice.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Nice work. How's traction treating you?

What kind of trunk install is that? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. Any plans for a custom floor board or facia?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
damn that vid is amazing!!
SLEEPER

Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice write up. Your car is clean and simple yet powerful.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys. Traction is usually ok at 12 psi, but it's still too cold out for these summer tires.

The trunk has all space available - everything is installed where the spare tire used to sit. Lexan is cut out to the exact dimensions of the trunk (used the carpet as an outline) and wooden posts are bolted in for support along with the MDF subwoofer cabinet. It's very solid.

For the longest time, I had the spare inside, audio equipment around it and the subwoofer taking up space inside the trunk - the whole thing looked like crap. I then decided there was no good reason to do that. The car sees long trips infrequently and I could always throw the spare in the trunk if needed! That made much more sense.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
Nice story and some cool stuff you have there, rcdash.

..edit..

Nice car and build, none the less

Last edited by ttrank; 02-18-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Sweet build Raj!

It looks like you havn't been taking any short cuts to get it all put together.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by 4MeUwill
Hey now, I have nothing against rcdash at all. I think he has a nice car and I mentioned that first and last in my post. I also posted what seemed to me to look like a slap in the face to Scott and RA, thats all.
I can understand your comment. I have nothing against Scott and I stated in the post that this was Scott's STB. He helped me get that thing installed - very good customer service. That bar is a great design, bracing the front of the car across two planes. Kudos to Scott on that. I have a review posted on this site with a very positive review - check it out.

I don't want to start any drama. The bar had a VRT sticker on there and I wanted it off. I asked Scott for a Relentless Autosport decal to cover the "VRT" left behind. It never came and over a year passed. When I was building the motor, I asked Sharif to please put their logo on it and if that didn't cover the VRT, get it re-powdercoated or painted. ForgedPerformance has done a ton of custom work in that engine bay. They deserve that spot. This is their build. Hope you can understand. Peace.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Sweet build Raj!

It looks like you havn't been taking any short cuts to get it all put together.

Thank you my friend. You have the final piece of the puzzle, I'm hoping! The be all, end all of exhaust systems.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice car man, but this makes me kind of disappointed because I'm hoping to hit at least high 400s on my 530s and you couldn't even get to 500 with the 700s?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 PM
XKR
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
Nice car man, but this makes me kind of disappointed because I'm hoping to hit at least high 400s on my 530s and you couldn't even get to 500 with the 700s?
850BB anyone ... Its calling you C-A-N-A-D-I-A-N ...

Old 02-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by XKR
WTF The last time I checked...Raj paid for that Tower Brace....so who the hell are you to tell him what sticker to put on it... There is always one MF that will mess up the best of threads
Thanks Mike. Forged actually had to modify the STB to get the JWT TT piping to fit without rubbing. I must've had an early version. There is still actually one spot on the charge pipe that I had to pad with rubber to prevent metal-metal contact under load. And FP didn't charge me a dime for the custom work. Sharif said it was part of the standard clearancing for their twin turbo install. So in a way, they've paid for it too.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by XKR
850BB anyone ... Its calling you C-A-N-A-D-I-A-N ...
You have them for sale too? Link? Would I need anything else besides the turbos and the manifolds?

I don't mean to go OT, sorry rc..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: rcdash's twin turbo G35