G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-induction-24/)
-   -   Windshield cowel drain hole (https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-induction/291719-windshield-cowel-drain-hole.html)

booger 06-06-2009 04:38 PM

Windshield cowel drain hole

Has any one had any trouble with the plastic cowel at the bottom of the windshield leaking water down and behind the dash board ? There is a small square drain hole on the passenger side cowel . And it is right above where main wire loom comes out from behind the dash into the battery compartment . When the Haltech EMS was installed , the rubber gromet has to be cut open to get the wires threw . So now when it rains , water drains right down on top of the hole where all these wire go threw and something gets wet and the car doesnt start till it dries out .

My question is.....is there suppose to be some sort of hose or something to take the rain water away from draining right on top of the wiring for the car and any aftermarket wiring going into the passenger compartment ?

rookie 06-06-2009 07:53 PM

It just drains there, and there are a few low point drain holes out of that compartment. Use black silicone to seal up the grommet where the cabling enters.

booger 06-07-2009 08:28 AM

I may try to rig up some sort of hose to take the water off to the side so it doesnt come down on top of the wires . Thanks

superchargedg 06-07-2009 08:51 AM

Booger i had the same problem so i did what Rookie did i used some black silicone around the loom and it stopped leaking.

98intrigue 06-08-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by superchargedg (Post 4291870)
Booger i had the same problem so i did what Rookie did i used some black silicone around the loom and it stopped leaking.

Me too, except the water was getting soaked into the padding under the passenger floorboard.

booger 06-08-2009 08:07 PM

I dont think that much is getting in . I did go out and buy some ATV today .

GreenGoblin 06-08-2009 08:32 PM

I need to do mine, as the weather has turned pretty sour.

rookie 06-08-2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 98intrigue (Post 4295890)
Me too, except the water was getting soaked into the padding under the passenger floorboard.

Pretty sure the ac drain hose goes through the passenger side area, might want to check that out too?

booger 06-08-2009 10:22 PM

I just did mine . Its hard to get the caulk gun in there . Ended up smearing it around the gromet with my finger and just used the gun to do the area where the wires are going into it .

urban 06-09-2009 12:50 AM

Mine was not re-installed correctly and water got on the FCon and ruined it, fortunately it was replaced under warranty but I noticed that the clips that are supposed to keep it in place are all broken. I am waiting on GTM to replace it as they broke it, right now I have it stuck on with 3M double sided tape and it held up this past winter.

Down_Shift 06-09-2009 01:53 AM

You guys need to fix it asap.
It's easy, pull off the battery cover and the windshield trim above the battery cover.. you will see the hole right there.. I took black duct tape and taped the sh#t out of it with a plastic bag.
You don't want water going into the Haltech or any other wire harness then corroding.. There is a thread on the Haltech Forums and pics of a corroded harness..

Get a can of compressed air and get all the water out of that area.

jonnylaw 06-09-2009 09:38 AM

I think I might have this issue. I know it's a pretty easy diy fix, but does anyone have pics of the area after black silicone has been used? What is a good silicone to use?

djamps 06-09-2009 10:24 AM

+1 seal it off with silicone. ASAP. Just load that *sh on there like crazy.

rookie 06-09-2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by jonnylaw (Post 4297494)
I think I might have this issue. I know it's a pretty easy diy fix, but does anyone have pics of the area after black silicone has been used? What is a good silicone to use?

I use this, cause it's easy to find at pep boys. hahah

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/produ...-1188633dt.jpg

Depending on where the rubber grommet was cut to run the wires and stuff through, lift the wires up so you seal the wires all around. This stuff is gummy once dried so gaining access o run wires or whatever again is not too difficult.

jonnylaw 06-09-2009 12:29 PM

^^Thanks Rookie! I'm going to pick some of this stuff up today.