Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech V3 full kit for 06 revup coupe question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vortech V3 full kit for 06 revup coupe question

So I am getting ready to take the plunge.

Got an 06 6mt with an oc replaced engine that has about 18K on it.

Getting the full kit not the tuner, already have gauges. Got the quote for the install, tune and before and after dyno. Is there anything else I will need that is not in the full kit that I don't know about?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd strongly recommend against the full kit. I can 100% guarantee you won't be satisfied with the stock Vortech kit vs. the money spent on it.

You'll limit yourself quite a bit going with the stock vortech kit.

Instead get the tuner kit, new injectors, upgraded fuel pump, 3.12 pulley, and get it installed / tuned from there.

Also, a hi-flow cat or race pipe is absolutley required for FI, so you'll need that too.

What kind of tune do you have? Piggyback or software based like Osiris?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't have any tune now. I'm under the impression that the kit comes with a piggy back ecu, hi flow pump and new injectors and the install like I said includes tune and dyno. I can't go test pipes and will be limited on HFC's. I am in CA and the V3 full kit is CARB approved so i can pass smog but I don't know how much i can deviate from the kit as is and still pass.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
who is selling you the kit? the full kit contains the supercharger, bracket, charge piping, bypass valve, fuel management unit (inline fuel pump & regulator - not a high flow pump), 3.12 pulley (since you're revup), and piggy back unit. injectors are not part of the full kit. if adding some power while being CARB compliant is your goal, then the full kit is fine. i'm not gonna get into the merits of the full kit versus tuner kit, but you will likely want more power down the road which is why a lot of folks opt for the tuner kit.

anyway, you should consider installing an oil cooler and upgrading your cooling system (bigger radiator, pathfinder mod, etc). FI engines run hotter than stock. i have an AT so i don't know how far you can push the stock MT, but i think a lot of folks upgrade their clutch and flywheel.

the vortech FAQ thread over on my350z is a very good resource.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
who is selling you the kit? the full kit contains the supercharger, bracket, charge piping, bypass valve, fuel management unit (inline fuel pump & regulator - not a high flow pump), 3.12 pulley (since you're revup), and piggy back unit. injectors are not part of the full kit. if adding some power while being CARB compliant is your goal, then the full kit is fine. i'm not gonna get into the merits of the full kit versus tuner kit, but you will likely want more power down the road which is why a lot of folks opt for the tuner kit.

anyway, you should consider installing an oil cooler and upgrading your cooling system (bigger radiator, pathfinder mod, etc). FI engines run hotter than stock. i have an AT so i don't know how far you can push the stock MT, but i think a lot of folks upgrade their clutch and flywheel.

the vortech FAQ thread over on my350z is a very good resource.
I got a price on the full v3 kit for $4995 with free shipping and no sales tax. $1260 for the install from a vortech authorized install and $250 more for a before and after dyno and tune. I am looking at around $6500 total.

I've already got a kinetix ssv and an FI exhaust but I am not looking to spend another $6500 to pick up 75hp. I want 100 to 150 increase minimum or it's not worth it

Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Wings Nation

the cost for a tuner kit, walbro 255 pump, 440/600cc injectors, 2.87 pulley, and osiris reflash will be on par with the budget you laid out above. base, full kit will yield you 350ish whp since you're a revup; tuner kit with the above mods will put you around 400hp.

the cost difference is not great, so you really just have to balance your desire to stay CARB compliant with the ability to make more power.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 PM
the cost for a tuner kit, walbro 255 pump, 440/600cc injectors, 2.87 pulley, and osiris reflash will be on par with the budget you laid out above. base, full kit will yield you 350ish whp since you're a revup; tuner kit with the above mods will put you around 400hp.

the cost difference is not great, so you really just have to balance your desire to stay CARB compliant with the ability to make more power.
my CARB desire is only to get whatever CARB number associated with the kit that will get them off my back on the visual and to pass the sniffer. Other than that they can kiss my ***. I hate smog *****.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Wings Nation

lol, i hear ya bro! i'm so paranoid about some cop being a douche that i've actually started modifying my OEM engine cover so it'll hide my cosworth

Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Simple Ax6 G

true, but try the 3.12 first with upgraded fuel pump, injectors, and engine management.

look in the market place on here and on my350z for new or used items. (fuel pump, injectors, and engine management) you will find some deals

depends on what your tuner likes using, look in osirus or Utec.

depends on the dyno using, #'s vary. as long as its tune right

Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Just be sure to RESEARCH everything before making any decisions. I know lots of people impulsively buy something without doing much research and then end of regretting it.

You're spending a lot of money for FI, so be sure you make all the right decisions. 350Z has many great threads on the vortech as well as some on this forum.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Wings Nation

Originally Posted by pabg35
true, but try the 3.12 first with upgraded fuel pump, injectors, and engine management.
why spend the money on the fuel pump, injectors, and EMU if you're not going to the 2.87 pulley? the pulley costs only $100 more. IMO, you either stay with the full, base kit, or fully upgrade the tuner kit.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:42 PM
I talked to the install shop today and he said he has installed more vortech kits than he can count and recommends the full kit over the tuner. I am not buying the kit from him so I take it as solid advice. If I go that route is there any reason I can't upgrade injectors and pulley later if I want more?

Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Wings Nation

you can always upgrade later, but you'll have to pay for the additional installs and uninstall of the FMU & EMU. you can save some money by doing the swaps yourself, but you'd have to pay to be retuned either way.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 AM
you can always upgrade later, but you'll have to pay for the additional installs and uninstall of the FMU & EMU. you can save some money by doing the swaps yourself, but you'd have to pay to be retuned either way.
I'm ok with that. I can spin a wrench and have done plenty with lessor platforms than the G.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Simple Ax6 G
why spend the money on the fuel pump, injectors, and EMU if you're not going to the 2.87 pulley? the pulley costs only $100 more. IMO, you either stay with the full, base kit, or fully upgrade the tuner kit.
$100 more for the 2.87? but the stock injectors won't be able to give enough fuel!

Everybody always wants more, so why not do it right the first time. Instead of spending more money later.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vortech V3 full kit for 06 revup coupe question