G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-induction-24/)
-   -   FI: we're not in Kansas anymore... (https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-induction/357895-fi-were-not-kansas-anymore.html)

Eno 11-17-2010 09:04 PM

FI: Start to Finish... the story of an FI NOOB

(Edit: Intro!

This is the story of a NOOB- me!- making the transition from NA to FI... Pretty much from opening the boxes, throughout the process of making decisions about the build, who was going to do the work, the tune... supporting mods... and the many hiccups and problems throughout.

If you are thinking about getting into FI and are unsure of what's involved... take a close look at this thread. Mine has been a daunting experience but I've enjoyed the path travelled. This thread is Noob friendly- it has to be... since I AM one!

Guys with some REAL knowledge and expansive experience have chimed in and I've learned a lot from them. I suggest you do the same :) )

THINGS GO FROM ALL WARM AND FUZZY TO BOOM ON PAGE 14
THINGS GO FROM BOOM TO GLOOM ON 36
THINGS GO FROM GLOOM TO CRAP ON THE LAST COUPLE PAGES... IN 2019 -2020.

Okay well- here we go. Boxes arrived in good order with the exception of the 200 bucks or so I had to pay in taxes. That's an issue for another thread on another forum I suppose. First step was to hustle over to the bar and have a beer. This is a huge undertaking for me and though a lot of the work (most if not all) is going to be done by progressive auto in victoria, I'm hoping to learn a lot about the turbo, the car, and Gord (and Dustin).

I'll get some pics of the process as it goes along. I'm what Gord calls "sensitive" and am not too interested to go to the FI forum to get intellectually assassinated by sour, jaded gear heads that are exhausted with us noobs. I've learned to trust you guys more than you know- so if you don't mind I'll keep it in canada regional.

First pics will be of the kit and current status of things under the hood. A list of all existing mods are in my profile. I'm hovering on a fuel system right now- but I have acquired Gords 680 injectors. Dustin is going to investigate his supply of spare parts and maybe provide a pump, rails and return system (not nagging, red, just sayin!!).

I'm doin my research but I still have lots of questions. Be patient!

The guy from progressive and gord both told me to make sure everything that's supposed to be in the kit is in the kit. That'll be a chore because I don't know the difference between a cam and a rod. Though I do know enough that neither of those parts should be in the kit!!

So it begins. I will be depending on you guys throughout this hail Mary move- and if it blows up in my face I'll blame red for taking me for a ride that day- so long ago.

All advice and comments welcome- but remember: I'm sensitive!

bigc 11-17-2010 09:11 PM

congrats! what kit did you purchase?

Sylvan lake V35 11-17-2010 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ITNKICN (Post 5487974)
but I have acquired Gords 680 injectors.

They shipped today :).

Most newbs get flamed in the FI section because they have done no research, want to use the worst kits available and want to make 500whp for $4,000 with their daily drivers. You have chosen and excellent kit (the best on the market IMO) and your not afraid to spend money to do things right:biggthumpup: I doubt you would any grief from the FI members on my350Z...I do remember we were all newbs at one time or another, however I do believe in darwinism.

I hope everything goes smooth for you!!

Swivel 11-17-2010 11:14 PM

Not that I would know when it comes to FI, but it does sound like you're going about it the right way. Hopefully once you post some pics some peeps will be able to help you complete your parts list.

Eno 11-17-2010 11:35 PM

I ended up grabbing a 700bb jwt twin setup through the marketplace. It's the 350z version so needs some adjustment but not much!

Also, coming with a three gauge pod and the necessary bungs for wideband air. The tuner will be pleased but I have no idea what I just said.

I'll post some pics tomorrow- Comin off nights and my day started at 3pm yesterday.

I'm super pumped about this! Thanks for the support!

One area of concern through my reading is my AT. I did the valve body upgrade but Im afraid I'll need to do clutch packs before I hit my 450 target. I think I'm set for everything else... Got a guy the progressive guys know to do the tune on the Cobb for now- gradually migrate into the water-meth / haltech (really like the whole trunk motif!)

Should be a heck of a ride. Maybe it'll be smooth as silk and a few more of you will take the plunge? I'm as new as they come so for you new guys if you have any questions just Im me! I'll explain it basic like. :)

red35 11-17-2010 11:52 PM

Well congrats on getting the kit. And sorry i did not have time to look for fuel stuff but i am flying back on Friday and i will go through the countless shelves and boxes of spare parts.

Well hopefully he sent the instructions then it will give the installer a fighting chance as well give you a part list.

Its up to you and your tuner what EMS (engine management) to run. He has to be comfortable with it and same with you. There are lots of options Hal-tech, Vi-Pec and others like your cobb. I am sure Gord can list more.

As far as meth and where to mount it, the whole trunk thing has been done. You should find another place to mount it. ;)

Sylvan lake V35 11-18-2010 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by red35 (Post 5488304)

Well hopefully he sent the instructions then it will give the installer a fighting chance as well give you a part list.

As far as meth and where to mount it, the whole trunk thing has been done. You should find another place to mount it. ;)

Or he could down load them from Jim Wolfs web site ;)

I will leave you alone on the trunk comment but we know who had it in the trunk first :thewave: looks like you have your own red35 :dance::BOUNCE:

InTgr8r 11-18-2010 07:35 AM

Awesome, looking forward to progress updates :)

mxwizard 11-18-2010 09:30 AM

Congrats on the new equipment...Am looking foward to pics and lining up for a ride. Ive started to collect bottles for gas money!!!!

red35 11-18-2010 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 (Post 5488407)
I will leave you alone on the trunk comment but we know who had it in the trunk first :thewave: looks like you have your own red35 :dance::BOUNCE:

Well we all know who had the first G35 and some one wanted to sit in it, then said person goes and gets one. So just remember where it all started. :hello:

Swivel 11-18-2010 10:52 AM

Here we go again...Who's on First, What's on Second... :rolleyes:

1hotvq 11-18-2010 10:57 AM

i think your going to have a deadly ride when you all done. you need to make a trip back to calgary so we can check it out!:biggthumpup:

CDN_G35 11-18-2010 10:57 AM

Congrats on picking up the JWT kit. I will definitely be following your progress :D Any pics of the package yet?

Eno 11-18-2010 01:59 PM

I'm heading down to get some pics now. I'll hang them up in the original post later today.

And LOL again at our D/G circus. This will be fun!

4DGS 11-18-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ITNKICN (Post 5488280)

Also, coming with a three gauge pod and the necessary bungs for wideband air. The tuner will be pleased but I have no idea what I just said.

HAHAHA that's amazing.

Can't believe you're really doing it! I keep considering it, but on a much smaller scale, I'd be happy to make 320 at the wheels with a procharger but I don't think my car can handle it at this point in it's life. It just rolled 155kms

Maybe if that engine ever goes, I'll buy a new one and boost it :)