Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Questions about using the stock MAF on turbo'd G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 105 Likes on 13 Posts
Questions about using the stock MAF on turbo'd G35?

So I'm putting together a turbo kit for my G35, but I am stuck on how the stock MAF performs, and if it is good to go when used in a turbo application? I can find almost zero info on what people with turbo'd G's are using for a MAF on their cars? I'm almost positive I'm going to go with Uprev Osiris tuner for engine management, and was wondering how the stock MAF performs in conjunction with this setup, and also what kind of HP levels I can produce before I have to upgrade the stock MAF? At what point is does the stock MAF not have the ability to keep up with airflow readings? Also, how many of you guys with turbo setups are running speed density to eliminate the MAF all together? Overall, I guess my question is what is the best solution for airflow estimation on a turbocharged G, and what engine management and related components are you guys using to get the job done? Thanks in advance for any info or links you can point me to. I appreciate the help.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Short answer is: stock MAF is good to somewhere between 350-400. Some went slightly past but very unreliable. some say that's crank hp but either way if your goal is anywhere near 400 to the wheels just budget for an upgrade.

Suggest Uprevs Uprev GT. get it put in before you do your tune otherwise you need to get completly retuned.

The following users liked this post:
Silver tiburon (05-17-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I was running 550whp on my stock MAF with a custom Technosquare ECU tune. My set up was very reliable...not one issue. Viet with his TT FX35 is running 600+ If I recall on the same tune with stock MAF. Tadashi @ Technosquare seemed to be the only one to crack the "code" to do this. Unfortunately he is not tuning anymore. I believe he went back to Japan.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
The "Big Boys" (+600whp) use MAP based stand alone systems..$$$$$, lots of guys have had success with the up rev GT MAF that is the tuning solution of choice for the majority of guys.

Join my350z they have a lot more forced induction info over there and all of the powerful G guys are over there as well but not a lot of Z guys come over here.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silver g
I was running 550whp on my stock MAF with a custom Technosquare ECU tune. My set up was very reliable...not one issue. Viet with his TT FX35 is running 600+ If I recall on the same tune with stock MAF. Tadashi @ Technosquare seemed to be the only one to crack the "code" to do this. Unfortunately he is not tuning anymore. I believe he went back to Japan.
is this for real or you are being sarcastic? Stock MAF for 550whp? heck my stock MAF voltage is almost peg/maxed out at 2psi and 6000rpm....

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
That's complete BS, the stock maf maxes out around 400whp, I'm not sure of the exact voltage but it has been posted extensively over on my350z. I know I've
Done it

You'll need to pick up an uprev maf gt to make more than that, it's the replacement for
The hpx pmas, has much better resolution as well for a more
Refined tune. Or you can convert to map and run a full standalone

Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
yep, seen the stock MAF max out a few times during tuning (not on mine) I got lucky and made it to the top of the stock maf readings at 402whp. Any more mods, and I'm planning to get the uprev maf along with whatever I do. Because, I'll need it.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
I had the same issue when I was breaking in my built motor . made
It to 403whp DJ on the stock block but had to upgrade when I got
Tuned for the built motor and gtm stage 2

Old 06-08-2012, 03:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FI'ed G
is this for real or you are being sarcastic? Stock MAF for 550whp? heck my stock MAF voltage is almost peg/maxed out at 2psi and 6000rpm....
Tadashi at Technosquare knew a way to increase the resolution of the stock MAF. But unfortunately he has moved to Japan and Technosquare no longer offers ECU flashing services. So currently the options are to upgrade the MAF or go standalone.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FI'ed G
Yes serious!!! Look for my build thread on here. Dyno graphs are there to prove it. Tadashi at Technosquare was the only one who could do it. Rookie with his TTFX35 is running the same tune with stock MAF 600+whp.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have a JWT GT30 TT, Cosworth short block, Cosworth heads and JWT C2 cams. I do run the stock maf in an larger maf housing Z1 auto used to sell, draw thru just like the original JWT set up is. Tadashi did do some resistor mod to the ECU to make it work, but he's gone back to Japan so not really possible to do this anymore. After this tune we put in Nismo VTC sprockets but never had a chance to try to tune out the dip.

This is on pump gas.
Name:  FX35_TT_04.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  141.4 KB

Old 06-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the PMAS and Uprev maf's are just recalibrated stock units. No reason to think that someone else couldnt do it as well.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
i stopped reading once i started reading the garbage comments..there is no set number that the stock maf is good for..for example i made 420whp/355ft. lbs on stock maf with not one issue ever..never even a thought to replace it...I was tuned using the ss box..As far as what i have gathered the tuning software has alot to do with it..I have seen most osiris tuning needs the upgraded maf, for what reason idk but thats what ive seen. so if thats what u are going to use to tune then i would bank on upgrading the maf.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
My stock MAF limited me to 349rwhp (greddy 18g w/Osiris).

Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tylerxfire
i stopped reading once i started reading the garbage comments..there is no set number that the stock maf is good for..for example i made 420whp/355ft. lbs on stock maf with not one issue ever..never even a thought to replace it...I was tuned using the ss box..As far as what i have gathered the tuning software has alot to do with it..I have seen most osiris tuning needs the upgraded maf, for what reason idk but thats what ive seen. so if thats what u are going to use to tune then i would bank on upgrading the maf.
I think the gist of the conversation wasn't a "set number" more along the lines of a "general area that it's good up to." Same goes for "how much power can my stock block hold?"

There's no definitive number. I know guys at 450+ whp beat on it for over a year with zero issues, and I've seen guys blow up at 375whp.

So... the general statement that I stick with is "around 400whp is the norm" for where the stock MAF reaches it's limit. I'm at 402 with no issues. The guy I got my kit from reached 415 with his stock maf, but I've seen it hit about 400-405 on another car on the dyno and be at it's limit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions about using the stock MAF on turbo'd G35?