G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

New Threads Without Searching

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Threads Without Searching

I thought the reason why the tags and the search button was created so that people could search before asking.

It seems like this week, there has been a lot of thread popping up asking question that have been answered in 2006. I've search most of the same questions asked myself.

Is there anyway to prevent this. I know myg37 has a minimum of 45 posts before new members can post a thread. It seems unfair, especially those who only come here to sell parts, but it's the only thing I could think of.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
MyG37 Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackmouf
I thought the reason why the tags and the search button was created so that people could search before asking.

It seems like this week, there has been a lot of thread popping up asking question that have been answered in 2006. I've search most of the same questions asked myself.

Is there anyway to prevent this. I know myg37 has a minimum of 45 posts before new members can post a thread. It seems unfair, especially those who only come here to sell parts, but it's the only thing I could think of.
MyG37/G35Driver only require 45 days membership in order to post threads (No minimum posts for new threads, hence why we occasionally have spammers) in the Marketplace (FS threads) we understand that some simply come here to sell and while I don't like to see it either, it is what it is. All other forums are open to new posts/threads immediately. It would be great if new members, as well as veterans of the forum, used the Search function but there is only so much we can do about this and restricting new users from posting is not a rational solution. I myself join many forums to specifically post/ask a question and I would hate to be denied that ability for a few days or even until someone were to approve my registration.

Maybe there is a way we can have the Search menu show up before you can submit a new thread..

Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure if I really think that is a good idea for all sections. It will lead to people getting frustrated and leaving. In most of the forums that I have seen do it keep the number farely low(10-20), so if they don't leave people do is create bs posts to hit the quota.

I'm planning on creating a comprehensive FAQ thread for the coupe section like Tim did in the sedan section. New questions can be added, threads on topics already covered can be merged into the thread. I did this with a "what mods should I buy" thread and it's been fairly successful so far. FAQ threads like this could cut down on a lot of the threads you are referring to. Even if they don't, when merged it cuts the number of threads down even if it doesn't cut the number of posts.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Gently point them to the search button or sticky.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Maybe there is a way we can have the Search menu show up before you can submit a new thread..
Maybe....

A FAQ thread would be great! I can't really come up with a brilliant solution because I wouldn't want people to leave either. I also go to other forums to post or search questions so I guess you have a point there as well. Just putting the thought out there.