G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Gas Gauge WEIRDNESS !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mine just started doing this

I filled it up but it only indicates 7/8 full, not even to the "F"

so basically i take the bottom of the rear seats off and clean a part on the fuel pump/sender assembly???

I can do all that myself. The closest dealer is about 60 miles from me.

Can anyone tell me what to clean or fix after I have the fuel pump/assembly removed?

Old 11-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
after cleaning the fuel sensors a couple of months ago, my fuel gauge was starting to go bad again, won't read past 3/4.. opened up my fuel tank ( access thru back seat ) and was in the process of cleaning it again when i noticed i accidentally bent the small metal bar (that connects to the floater) that reads the sensor while cleaning with the q-tip before... it would read when it is 3/4 but looses contact after that...after straightening that small metal bar and making sure that it makes direct contact with the sensors all the way, i closed everything and viola... full tank and my gas guage went all the way up past F... after 3 days, guage went down to 1/4, filled up with full tank and gas guage went all the way up again, past F... it's been 3 weeks now and everything is good as new... wish i took pictures of the sensors, so everyone here would know what to do and what an easy fix it is...

Old 11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just bought my '05 on Sat. and the dealership said they had filled up the tank but when I noticed it a couple of miles down the road, the guage was only just above half way. So I cussed the dealer and continued to drive it around all yesterday. The guage went down to just above E and since I was in South Carolina (20c cheaper gas) I decided to fill up. It only took 7 gallons and the gauge went back to right above half.
Since it wasn't an Infiniti dealer, I guess I can't blame them anymore. I'll change out the sending units and hope that helps.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, not really.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
To those who have taken their cars in to have this fixed, do you remember when you got your car back if your radio stations were erased? Mine wasn't. I'm asking because I really wonder if they really fixed anything. I don't know the process of this repair but the first rule of thumb when dealing with fuel is to disconnect battery right? Which would mean the radio stations would reset, but they weren't. Thoughts?

part replaced = sender unit-fuel gauge-25060-am600 quantity 1
seal o ring, fuel gauge-17342-ce800 quantity 2
sender unit-fuel gauge- 25060-al51a quantity 1

Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't recall having my radio stations reset. I do know my fuel gauge problem was fixed though.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g035sedan
To those who have taken their cars in to have this fixed, do you remember when you got your car back if your radio stations were erased? Mine wasn't. I'm asking because I really wonder if they really fixed anything. I don't know the process of this repair but the first rule of thumb when dealing with fuel is to disconnect battery right? Which would mean the radio stations would reset, but they weren't. Thoughts?

part replaced = sender unit-fuel gauge-25060-am600 quantity 1
seal o ring, fuel gauge-17342-ce800 quantity 2
sender unit-fuel gauge- 25060-al51a quantity 1
In the service manual, official policy is to write down your radio presets before disconnecting the battery and to reprogram all of them once the job is completed. So either you could a really good service tech, or a really lazy one.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by roots4x
In the service manual, official policy is to write down your radio presets before disconnecting the battery and to reprogram all of them once the job is completed. So either you could a really good service tech, or a really lazy one.
Didn't know that! Well I hope you're right..

Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Angry

I had my car into the local dealership because it wouldn't take any gas and just got it back yesterday. Well after I dropped $800, they failed to fix the problem. Apparently they didn't try putting gas in after they were done, so I was stuck in -20F weather at the gas pump with the nozzel that kept tripping. Managed to get 1/4 tank in after 10 minutes and my hands were frozen.

They did the tsb fixes (both sending units, flapper valve, and vent valve bracket) but I am not sure that they address the problem that I am having. It won't take any gas and will even splash back out at me if I keep squeezing the nozzel. Its going back to the dealership as soon as they have a loaner for me. They refused to do the initial work under warranty (its an 04 with 106K) but it seems like they have no idea what is wrong and are just going of the tsb. Is there anything I can do to try and get Infiniti to cover these costs? Any ideas what may be wrong?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by roots4x
A little variation in the gas gauge is normal. The car estimates for aggressive driving and will tell you how much gas you potentially have left. Thus, the gas gauge seems more like a "miles remaining" gauge.

Anyway....I have this issue too (2004 coupe)....Just being aware of it is good enough for me, I can go roughly by the odometer

Old 02-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I too am having both of these probs, called Infiniti of Annapolis, they basically told me to fvck off. I have a 04 with 49k however my warranty ran out about 4 months ago.

I wonder if calling corporate will do anything?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Just called Nashville, they told me to pound sand as the dealership did...nice. Oh well, I will try to deal with it best as I can. If I had the car 4 months ago before the warranty was going to run out I would've taken care of some of these issues.

Lesson learned. Is it wrong to expect Nissan to repair TSB's when the car is just out of warranty?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by jetdoc
Is it wrong to expect Nissan to repair TSB's when the car is just out of warranty?
You asked...

IMO once the car is out of warranty, unless there is a safety recall, the dealer has no obligation to fix anything at their expense. So to answer your questions, yes, I believe it is wrong to expect them make repairs out of warranty. I don't, however, believe it hurts to ask.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:24 AM
I know they are not obligated but some of these very common problems should be addressed...with it costing the consumer money. They built the defective component.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
ive noticed this problem a lot here lately sometimes at the pump itll shut off and act full then i have to pump for like 10 mins to get like 5$ in and my gauge goes crazy drive to work with a quarter tank i live like 2 miles from work. then my light will be on and almost on E. get off work turn on the car and be under a quarter. i just figure its the fuel sending unit but dont really feel like messing with it really. to lazy to do it ha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge WEIRDNESS !