The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Soooo I get about 8 mpg in my 03 coupe...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soooo I get about 8 mpg in my 03 coupe...

As embarrassing as it is, is this normal for a new manual driver? I've been driving for about 3 weeks, and recently decided to reset my odometer when i filled up with 93, and the needle is at halfway and the mileage is at around 75-80 miles. Shouldn't I be getting at least like 15?

I've been driving in Pittsburgh which is very hilly and i ride the clutch a lot from parallel parking and awful drivers in front of me. The way I drive, I'm usually in 1st until 3000 rpms, then 2nd until 3-4k rpms, then i shift into 3rd to coast or stay around 1.5 to 2k. As soon as I see a stop sign or light I shift into neutral and coast the rest of the way, I never speed, try not to step on the gas. Should I try to stay in 3rd or 4th a lot more? Even when I dont go above 30 mph? Any tips?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I drive in 5th and 6th alot of the time - if you're staying in 3rd and 4th all the time you will eat more gas, but you should be getting closer to 18-20...

I get 15 MPG in my supercharged car - you're doing something wrong...

Old 01-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Unless you are extremely hilly/stop and go I would say that is definitely not right. I would check everything out to make sure everything is ok.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:32 PM
What could be wrong though? I mean unless my fuel line is leaking or something, which im sure it isnt, i think it must just be the way im driving. So you go into 5th or 6th just citydriving? That seems kinda excessive.

On a side note:
Should I be shifting into 2nd if im moving at all? It sometimes stutters when I do this, but it's impossible to shift into 1st when I'm rolling since it closes the gate, so is it okay if the car stutters a bit at really low RPMS/speed in 2nd?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Enigmatic42
On a side note:
Should I be shifting into 2nd if im moving at all? It sometimes stutters when I do this, but it's impossible to shift into 1st when I'm rolling since it closes the gate, so is it okay if the car stutters a bit at really low RPMS/speed in 2nd?
Ask a friend to teach you some basics. when i'm rolling a throw it in Neutral. I only stop with a gear if i need to slow down asap

Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it could be something wrong with your gauge. after i fill up it takes like 2 days for it to reach the half a tank but when it says im almost empty it will stay near the bottom for like 2 weeks. the light will even come on and i can still drive around and then the needle will actually go back up a quarter a tank.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Xet
Originally Posted by johnnydarko
it could be something wrong with your gauge. after i fill up it takes like 2 days for it to reach the half a tank but when it says im almost empty it will stay near the bottom for like 2 weeks. the light will even come on and i can still drive around and then the needle will actually go back up a quarter a tank.
He should verify his conclusion by filling up all the way and recording how many miles he gets, then fill up back to full and calculate mpg from miles traveled and gallons used.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
If you going 75-80mph, you should just stay in 5 or 6 depending if you have a 5 or 6 speed. No reason to be droping it to 3 or 4th. You eat up gas. If your going down hill you can all ways throw it in Neutral to help out your savings in gas.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I get into 5th and 6th in the city - it quiets my car down a bit and i like getting as much MPG's as possible

Old 01-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You're not getting 8mpg, the fuel gauge isn't precise enough to make these measurements. Fill up to full, zero out the trip meter, and next time you fill up to full, divide miles by gallons.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Well okay obviously if im going 80 ill drop it to 6th, but im talking about 30-40 mph in the city, should i stay in 2-3? I never go into 4th in city until highways. do you guys shift into neutral alot when just cruising around streets? Right now I just coast in 3rd usually.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 PM
in the city if i'm doing 30 -40mph and i am cruising - i am in 5th or 6th... unless i see someone i want to mess with then i will be in 3rd or 4th...

If you're constantly driving in 2-3 you will get worse gas mileage than if you were in a higher gear. There is obviously a trade-off of acceleration but that is for you to decide.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by kricci11
in the city if i'm doing 30 -40mph and i am cruising - i am in 5th or 6th... unless i see someone i want to mess with then i will be in 3rd or 4th...

If you're constantly driving in 2-3 you will get worse gas mileage than if you were in a higher gear. There is obviously a trade-off of acceleration but that is for you to decide.
Okay that makes sense, I was always curious about this though, say I'm going 30 mph, and in 6th gear, If i Floor it, and obviously nothing will happen, does that mean I'm using a lot of gas for nothing? Or is the RPMs really another guage for how much gas I'm using at that moment, in which case since I'm in 6th and 30 mph, it's simply not possible to use a lot of gas no matter how far I press in the pedal?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Xet
Originally Posted by kricci11

+1. Usually by 40 I'll be in 5th. I personally don't see a need to stay in lower gears when I am just cruising around or driving from place to place. You should try this as well as accurately track your real mpg and then report back.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Enigmatic42
Okay that makes sense, I was always curious about this though, say I'm going 30 mph, and in 6th gear, If i Floor it, and obviously nothing will happen, does that mean I'm using a lot of gas for nothing? Or is the RPMs really another guage for how much gas I'm using at that moment, in which case since I'm in 6th and 30 mph, it's simply not possible to use a lot of gas no matter how far I press in the pedal?
not sure i really understand...

if in 6th and you floor it - the car will bog down and take a little while to get to speed... if I'm in 6th and thinking about flooring it, i will downshift - then when i get to my speed of choice, i move back into 6th and cruise

The higher the RPM's the more gas you are consuming/burning... basically the engine is working harder.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Soooo I get about 8 mpg in my 03 coupe...