The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I have a vacuum cap plugged so I'm good on that end. It's just open on the solenoid end now like you said. Sad something so tiny is so expensive, lol. Everything was so brittle on this car that's why I was replacing some of the hoses and stuff anyway
I did the same thing in my 03 coupe. I actually flipped the broken nipple around and super glued it back on, but I didn't get a good feeling about it. I ordered a new one from rock auto, had it in 3 days and it only cost $65 shipped.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
The number of people asking me "who did you have it out with?", "which sore loser did you race?" or "who's girlfriend did you get caught with?"

It wasn't even anything that interesting. I parked the car on university campus in the morning, studied, did an exam and was returning to my car ready to chill out when I stumbled upon my shattered rear window.

I am as confused as you are. There was no obvious impact marks on the window (although something could hit it hard enough to shatter and leave no mark). Nothing obvious to say it was vandalism. But our "High tech with a Human touch" university doesn't even have security cameras to validate that. That leaves the possibility it happened "naturally" through excessive heat, stress or a failure in the glass. Random excess twisting of the chassis? I'm completely stumped at what happened but not much can be done now. Completely random and out of the blue.

This is after having a bead start leaking on the rear two weeks ago and then picking up a puncture on newer tires about one week ago.......Hopefully nothing else for a while.

You should go with 285 30 20s in the rear.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 AM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
You should go with 285 30 20s in the rear.
That's exactly what I'm running now, only because it's what I managed to find.
I much prefer the look and fit of the 35 profile and also the effect it has on gearing for highway driving.

That clean wingless side profile

Old 12-16-2016, 04:45 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
got all of it hooked up to test my nexus 7 with the screen integration. when you press the button to retract the screen the tablet suspends and when it opens it resumes. there are actually two limit switches, one to let it know it is completely open and one at the bottom to know when it is completely retracted. so i have tapped both these lines and tied them to delay relays to resume when it opens and suspend when it sleeps. there is a slight delay when it sleeps though, it should actually be sooner, the signal is cut instantly, there is just a delay in the actual tablet sleeping. i think it is kernel related and not much i can do hardware wise.

i have a buck voltage regulator downstepping the battery voltage to 4.5v to feed the tablet and then a second buck voltage regulator downstepping acc and ign wires that are both connected to it with diodes. so they do not backfeed. i did this so when the engine is starting it doesnt kill the power to the otg cable and suspend the tablet. i was able to grab all of the wires i needed from the nav control board harness, big thanks to wrathernaut for his guide. the output to the voltage regulator is tied to two electronic relay timers. they each have the trigger wire tied to the different limit switches. the one for the top (completely open) has no delay and just switches power when power is applied to the trigger wire.

for the bottom limit switch it is instantly activated as the console begins to move up so if i didnt tap this limit switch as well there would be a good 5 second delay after the entire screen is up before the tablet turns on. this timer is set up so that once power is applied it applies power for 5 seconds ( the time it takes for the screen to raise up) and then shuts off because the relay at the top is taking over since it is completely open and the limit switch activated. these relays have output wires that are again diode isolated and tied to the otg cable feeding power to the tablet and usb hub.

its all just laid out to test but you can get the idea of what it will function like.

Last edited by .cakestar; 12-16-2016 at 04:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by .cakestar:
LoSt180 (12-16-2016), Wrathernaut (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Could be worse.... This is what I returned to....

That's weird, in the past the issues I've been around involving heat cracking a windshield it was a big long crack, not a shatter like yours. It almost looks like someone took a glass break tool to it but didn't hit it hard enough, just one time and that gave the shatter without the glass falling. Those little tools police have or come at the other end of a seat belt cutter. But without a camera who knows.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice job cakestar. That's past my knowledge on custom installs. You gotta start doing a blog or DIYs or something.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by .cakestar
got all of it hooked up to test my nexus 7 with the screen integration. when you press the button to retract the screen the tablet suspends and when it opens it resumes. there are actually two limit switches, one to let it know it is completely open and one at the bottom to know when it is completely retracted. so i have tapped both these lines and tied them to delay relays to resume when it opens and suspend when it sleeps. there is a slight delay when it sleeps though, it should actually be sooner, the signal is cut instantly, there is just a delay in the actual tablet sleeping. i think it is kernel related and not much i can do hardware wise.

i have a buck voltage regulator downstepping the battery voltage to 4.5v to feed the tablet and then a second buck voltage regulator downstepping acc and ign wires that are both connected to it with diodes. so they do not backfeed. i did this so when the engine is starting it doesnt kill the power to the otg cable and suspend the tablet. i was able to grab all of the wires i needed from the nav control board harness, big thanks to wrathernaut for his guide. the output to the voltage regulator is tied to two electronic relay timers. they each have the trigger wire tied to the different limit switches. the one for the top (completely open) has no delay and just switches power when power is applied to the trigger wire.

for the bottom limit switch it is instantly activated as the console begins to move up so if i didnt tap this limit switch as well there would be a good 5 second delay after the entire screen is up before the tablet turns on. this timer is set up so that once power is applied it applies power for 5 seconds ( the time it takes for the screen to raise up) and then shuts off because the relay at the top is taking over since it is completely open and the limit switch activated. these relays have output wires that are again diode isolated and tied to the otg cable feeding power to the tablet and usb hub.

its all just laid out to test but you can get the idea of what it will function like.

https://youtu.be/abKiI_Y2_MM

https://youtu.be/WHQwkFkRuzM

That's pretty cool, so much nicer to have that nav slot instead of the comparatively useless storage hole. Are you using stock OS on that nexus or is it rooted?

Also, if I understand correctly, you have it powered up straight from the battery with a second power in from the acc and ign to maintain power whilst the engine is starting? Is that also so you can use the tablet without having to turn the ign on? And what is it which actually wakes the tab (it wakes from sleep right? Or does it power on/off).

Mine is setup using auto sleeper - I'm sure there's other apps and much cleaner ways to do it with a rooted OS - which wakes the tab up and keeps it live while receiving power and then puts the tab to sleep when the charger is disconnected. The USB is plugged into the cig lighter socket so power comes on/off with acc switch. The auto sleeper app is set to sleep the tab after 5 seconds of no power - this is enough time for the engine to start without the tab going to sleep.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Swaglife81
That's weird, in the past the issues I've been around involving heat cracking a windshield it was a big long crack, not a shatter like yours. It almost looks like someone took a glass break tool to it but didn't hit it hard enough, just one time and that gave the shatter without the glass falling. Those little tools police have or come at the other end of a seat belt cutter. But without a camera who knows.
I think that's because the front windshields can have a chip which propagates to a crack but the rest of the glass on a vehicle simply shatter once there's any decent damage. To be honest, I am as clueless as you all with it but it's a shame there's no camera to capture what really happened. Last time I checked it was 71F that morning and couldn't have gotten beyond 85 by the time I returned to my car (a very very mild day in FL). At least the tint held it together to buy me some time for a replacement. I had an online quote for $225 inc tax, going to call about and see if I can find cheaper. Considered replacing it myself but if I buy used for $150 there's still too much risk in the event I fit it wrong and it shatters over a bump or flexing the chassis jacking the car up etc. Circa $200 for a replacement with fitting and lifetime guarantee and I'll never have to worry about it.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:06 PM
That's pretty cool, so much nicer to have that nav slot instead of the comparatively useless storage hole. Are you using stock OS on that nexus or is it rooted?

Also, if I understand correctly, you have it powered up straight from the battery with a second power in from the acc and ign to maintain power whilst the engine is starting? Is that also so you can use the tablet without having to turn the ign on? And what is it which actually wakes the tab (it wakes from sleep right? Or does it power on/off).

Mine is setup using auto sleeper - I'm sure there's other apps and much cleaner ways to do it with a rooted OS - which wakes the tab up and keeps it live while receiving power and then puts the tab to sleep when the charger is disconnected. The USB is plugged into the cig lighter socket so power comes on/off with acc switch. The auto sleeper app is set to sleep the tab after 5 seconds of no power - this is enough time for the engine to start without the tab going to sleep.
so i ditched the nexus battery and the car battery now powers it. when it is in sleep mode it doesnt draw that much power, 80mA or so. so if i dont drive my car for a week the tablet wont be dead and need to be restarted. and what powers the otg cable (letting the tablet know to wake up) is the acc and ign wire. this will also power the usb hub which i have a few things hooked up to (ftdi and usb capture card for backup camera and also to display oem nav). i cannot use the tablet when the car is off, it will suspend.

i am running timur's rom. it works really well for automotive setup. i would most definitely recommend you run it if you have a nexus 7. it is the rom that allows for wake on external power and shuts off everything except the bare essentials when suspending.

The following users liked this post:
BradMD_96 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts

https://youtu.be/abKiI_Y2_MM

https://youtu.be/WHQwkFkRuzM
I kinda gave up on my tablet install. It was just more efficient to put my Note 4 in the cleaned-up screen hole.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:23 PM
you should go with the nexus 7. it works super well! especially with these custom made roms that are specific for car installs

Old 12-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
you should go with the nexus 7. it works super well! especially with these custom made roms that are specific for car installs
First problem with that, is that I've got to tether the Nexus to the phone for connectivity, so already I'm dependent on a phone for streaming audio or real-time traffic updates.

Secondly, the radio only has allows one bluetooth connection at a time. That means I can't use the tablet for music and the phone for calls. Of course, I could use the AUX input on the radio for the tablet and the bluetooth for the phone for calls, but - and I agree this is a bit minor - the music won't pause when I get a phone call.

Thirdly, if I am using my phone as infotainment while driving, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be remembering to plug it in, so I keep it charged very well during the day.

The 7" screen would be nice, as would having the custom ROM made for car stuff, but for me, it's just better using my phone. When I eventually upgrade phones (Note 8?) this one might get mounted permanently in there though.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Finally ordered a pair of rear LED turn signals. Just built the resistors this morning.

I am not dealing with Perma Cake .

$1 at radio shack and left over PVC from the house, versus $7.50 apiece for name branded ones haha.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:47 PM
@wrather: i actually got the lte nexus 7 so i wouldnt have to bother with the tethering. idk. i think 20$ a month seems worth it. and im running the oem radio with a grom bluetooth so i can keep the oem handsfree.

@urban lol the tails arent that bad. once you open one you will get a pretty clear idea lf how they need to be opened. haha the guide is pretty good

Old 12-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Let's see some pics

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?