The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:25 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Took my G a few body shop to get the rust looked at. The highest rated shop around quoted me $1700 to do a complete job of removing all the trim, windows, etc, cut out the damaged metal, replace, and paint with the understanding that "rust always comes back". They wouldn't give me a quote if I did the rust repair work, essentially saying that they didn't want anything to do with that because they can't guarantee I'd be satisfied with the results.

Took it to local Maaco and asked them what they would charge if I were to do all the rust repair, prep, etc and gave them the car with primered left and right quarter panels for them to paint. They told me $400 a side, which is better but still too way too much for a college student with more important bills to pay, not to mention saving for more important car parts

Looks like I have no choice now but to do both bodywork AND paintwork myself - I had hoped to farm out the paint to a professional so at least that would look half decent, not to mention saving my sanity, but I guess not. The upside is that while I'm painting my QPs, I might as well repaint my front bumper and hood while I'm at it. Anybody have any experience with DIY car painting (rattle cans, Rustoleum roller paint, etc) around here?

Most of the paintwork on my car looks like the surface of the Moon from 10 feet away so I figure any paint that lasts is an improvement.

It drives great now though! Ever since I tightened up my rack the other day I've had lots of confidence to push my car. Really enjoying my commutes to work and back, can't wait to take it to autocross so I can really see what it can do!

If you've got more time than money, painting the panels (or the whole car) yourself is a good option. It'll cost way less than paying someone to do the work. I'd recommend leaving the rattle cans and going for a base coat/clear coat or just base depending on how nice you want the final product to look.

I painted mine in the garage about a year ago, but only now am I actually getting round to cutting and buffing the clear coat.

Straight after paint - looks good from afar but there was a good bit of orange peel

After starting the process...

Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 AM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
What grit did you start off at ?

Old 05-18-2018, 02:31 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Finally installed the Akebonos

Old 05-18-2018, 06:03 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
On my laptop I had to enlarge the picture to find your calipers lol. BUT they look great, I love the blue with your BO/VSXX combo. Great job!

Old 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Brad - nice work, looks good from the picture. I like how you have the chrome under the windows but black all around. I'm very interested in what you're doing as it looks to be pretty much what I'm trying to do.

I go back to school June 30th and don't need the G in Boston, so I've got a few months to do bodywork and wait for paint to dry, coming home on Sundays every once in awhile to work on it before the weather gets cold again.... exams permitting of course. When I finish I'm going to gift myself with new headlight housings and a retrofit, my current ones are no joke white due to all the spiderweb cracking and crazing and the outside layer of plastic is peeling off like a bunch of scabs

Old 05-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Nice packing lol. Shippped through greyhound I assume?

PSS very nice.
Yeah... I'm not too pleased with how they packed it. Hopefully it isn't bent or damaged in any way. USPS dropped it off, not sure if they handled it the entire way.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:25 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Edgarc6789
What grit did you start off at ?
600 - quite aggressive but the peel was quite bad at some spots. Although in the future I would probably start a little higher as the 600 scratches are hard to get rid of. Do you normally use a DA for sanding? I've just been using my hands and a rubber sanding block.

Originally Posted by cswlightning
Brad - nice work, looks good from the picture. I like how you have the chrome under the windows but black all around. I'm very interested in what you're doing as it looks to be pretty much what I'm trying to do.

I go back to school June 30th and don't need the G in Boston, so I've got a few months to do bodywork and wait for paint to dry, coming home on Sundays every once in awhile to work on it before the weather gets cold again.... exams permitting of course. When I finish I'm going to gift myself with new headlight housings and a retrofit, my current ones are no joke white due to all the spiderweb cracking and crazing and the outside layer of plastic is peeling off like a bunch of scabs
I just checked the photo back and I see what you mean. It's actually OEM black but the light is hitting it and making it look super shiny. I know how you feel about the school stuff... like I said, I painted last summer and couldn't get a long enough break until this summer to buff it....

Managed to just about polish half the bonnet before heading out. I have noticed some scratches underneath that were missed though so I may go back over it...

Old 05-19-2018, 09:54 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
PAUL WALKER TRIBUTE MEET @ COC in SCV

This Paul Walker tribute meet has special meaning since he was killed within two miles of my front door! Cold 10 year old tires was the cause, regardless of other opinions!
I began getting ready by having my KurumaZ front bumper painted...again! Bringing SLICK home from the body shop the engine compartment was a mess, that's where I spent my first 3 hours cleaning and polishing. The next morning I started at 7AM washing/claying/speed buffing cleaner and then hand waxing with my Zymol Concourse wax, finished just prior to 1PM. That afternoon I cleaned/treated the interior. Next morning removed her Volks sanding/cleaning the insides of all four wheels and cleaning the painted calipers. Wheels installed I've polished the centers/lips twice since and will do that once more before the show. Roll In is at 6AM Sunday at College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, they can expect to see me at 5:30...Gary

The following users liked this post:
cleric670 (05-19-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 03:13 AM
Received 371 Likes on 339 Posts
Im stayin at my in-laws house at the moment in santa clarita and I pass by COC every morning after work.

Im not much of a "meet" guy tho....

Old 05-20-2018, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
600 - quite aggressive but the peel was quite bad at some spots. Although in the future I would probably start a little higher as the 600 scratches are hard to get rid of. Do you normally use a DA for sanding? I've just been using my hands and a rubber sanding block.

I just checked the photo back and I see what you mean. It's actually OEM black but the light is hitting it and making it look super shiny. I know how you feel about the school stuff... like I said, I painted last summer and couldn't get a long enough break until this summer to buff it....

Managed to just about polish half the bonnet before heading out. I have noticed some scratches underneath that were missed though so I may go back over it...

600 is pretty rough but I've used 600 before on sags and drips...

I use a hard rubber block and try and go as even as I can
So your going all the way to 2000 grit?

Old 05-21-2018, 02:46 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Thumbs up The cars, the K of people interested in what we drive...WOW!

Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Im stayin at my in-laws house at the moment in santa clarita and I pass by COC every morning after work.
Im not much of a "meet" guy tho....
If you're not a meet guy, you can't been too much of a car dude! The Paul Walker Tribute show was a never seen before event! From opening until just before 3PM the line of fans/car folks wrapped around the college...thousands! The cars (close to a thousand) ranged from a fugly '53 Chevy to a 2 million $$ ride with a one speed trans that needed to be trailered in and out of the meet! ScorpiO and the rest of you SoCal members, you missed it...big time!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 05-22-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:49 PM
I'm using ivorygt for this ..

Old lens

New clear lens

Now I'm stuck here.. that I have to cut off the guard? Bend it ?

Old 05-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Edgarc6789
I'm using ivorygt for this ..

Old lens

New clear lens

Now I'm stuck here.. that I have to cut off the guard? Bend it ?
Hey there. Finally doing the color mod I see 😊.

There are two shields. Cut the outer one and do not disturb the inner one.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Outer being "close to the lens"

Highly recommend firing up the projectors to make sure the shield spacing is good (blue cutoff not foggy).

Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Reminisced on my old G that was killed in a teenager blind corner drift in 2013 (no fault of my own). Bought this G after a month just before July 4th.

Ordered 2 Redline 75W-90 Diff quart bottles (dealer recommended change) and a new back up camera to prep for a trip to Chicago.

Drove it this past weekend along some sweet Amish Country Roads. Really enjoying how the car is now set up with full poly suspension and Kinetix Camber arms. There was literally no one around and I really enjoyed it! 1000x recommendation stoptech sport pads for 05-07 G coupes.. awesome pads with no fading and heavy linear pedal bite.

Tires are wearing very smoothly and I would buy them again. The 7000 mile tire issue from this past winter was clearly a camber issue!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to the G today?-photo116.jpg   What did you do to the G today?-photo804.jpg   What did you do to the G today?-photo653.jpg   What did you do to the G today?-photo422.jpg   What did you do to the G today?-photo135.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?