G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   The G-Spot (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot-185/)
-   -   installed my engine damper tonight (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/414790-installed-my-engine-damper-tonight.html)

hippiGlass 09-09-2012 03:19 AM

installed my engine damper tonight

6 Attachment(s)
soo i know a most are against the idea of ebay items and for most of the items i am to..but this i couldnt pass up to try it out..i bought the stillen look-a-like engine damper, and the one video i saw about installing this one (didnt see a how to on the stillen one) but the dude put it so one end is mounted on the power steering fluid res and the other was on the radiator hose mount.. didnt seem right to me..soo i found the stillen PDF file and it went pretty easy minus the one crappy bolt that came bent..(went to autozone and got a new bolt)

any way here are some pix sorry for the dirty engine..i live on a dirt road
Attachment 216929
the 3 bolts under the PS res you need to take out
Attachment 216930
where the bracket goes on the engine
Attachment 216931
all mounted up
Attachment 216932
bolted on frame
Attachment 216933
Attachment 216934

i didnt get to drive it around to much but i can definitely feel the difference! it just seems more responsive like the lil lag is gone..(im 5AT) for the 34$ i paid for it im really happy with it.. i read a lot of peoples opinions on it good and bad.. but i feel no vibrations at idle or anything..happy i bought it

G35 Dream 09-09-2012 03:58 AM

I was wondering if these would have much of an effect on 5ATs. Good to know and thanks for the write up!

HenryLee 09-09-2012 07:01 AM

nice...

srv2nv 09-09-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by G35 Dream (Post 6565549)
I was wondering if these would have much of an effect on 5ATs. Good to know and thanks for the write up!

I noticed a bit of a difference, especially when the car is shifting and from hitting the gas at a stand still. I purchased the same one off ebay about 4-5 years ago and haven't had any problems with it yet*.

*Knock on wood

Frankieg35 09-09-2012 10:26 AM

That's interesting.. Nice work

gary c 09-09-2012 10:30 AM

Nice thread, thanks for sharing with your members! Now do some serious cleaning under that hood, she'll run better clean....Gary

viciouzgamer 09-09-2012 01:52 PM

Did you need to use a torque wrench? If so what was the specs

hippiGlass 09-09-2012 03:06 PM

thanks everyone..thought it would be good to post some pix since i saw a lot of people installing it in the wrong spot... thanks gary, ya its a mess lol the crappy thing is ill clean it and a few days later it will be dusty again..this dirt road i live on sux some times, hopefully they will pave it one day..

viviouzgamer i didnt use a torque wrench...didnt have one soo i just remembered what bolts were tight as hell and what ones were just tight lol..mainly the 2 bolts on the motor where the damper bracket goes those bolts were tight as hell soo i just tightened them as hard as i could and added some loctite to the bolt that bolts the heim joint soo it wont back out from any vibration..

heres the PDF i used for directions it helps...tells u where to re route the ground wire and what not...not to many pix but its pretty straight foward
http://www.stillen.com/product_files/307355~inst.pdf

herrschaft 09-09-2012 03:28 PM

I need to get one of these dampers. An inch/pound TQ wrench would make a good investment since most of the screws are aluminum and easy to break.

hippiGlass 09-09-2012 03:47 PM

there was only 1 crappy bolt that cam in the kit...the allen screws were good.. i just bought a new bolt from autozone to replace the crappy one.. it bent and was like 1/8" or a hair more to long, once i replaced it, it was good to go.. but i didnt see any aluminum screws in the kit..the allens felt nice and beefy..but if u do buy this kit just replace the one gold bolt that comes with it and ull be good.. gonna drive it around the town today (riverside) soo all u socal peeps..if ya see me watch out this damper gave me at least 20+ hp! haha jp, im gonna murder this Tiptronic shifter lol

herrschaft 09-09-2012 03:51 PM

^I wasn't referring to the kit, the car has the weak screws.

gary c 09-09-2012 04:09 PM

You don't really need a torque wrench to install these dampers, "Snug" is tight enough! Which means you don't swing on the rachet handle....:NOOO:
Gary

hippiGlass 09-09-2012 04:58 PM

soo i just took the car for a real test drive and WOW i noticed a big difference right away..i was really surprised! the lag on the 5AT Tiptronic is gone..it just pulls through the gears... i know a lot of people will say its in my head but i can feel what ever extra torque it was losing by the engine rockin...... i know right? a 34$ ebay item did something it claims to do....well it actually does! im sold on this i 100% can feel a difference! my car is a 06 DG 5AT coupe, only mod is a fast intentions cat back..

i video taped the test drive but when i got on it the camera went flying back in the car...picked it up and kept filming but didnt realize i pressed the stop button soo the vid was a big fail...i was talkin to myself the whole time lol.. ill do it right next time...(duct tape) lol

TurTLe* 09-13-2012 11:27 AM

i've always wondered about this mod, not at the stillen price but at the ebay price.

ebay/china items are great if you dont need to be exactly a certain spec. and this is one of those items.

BlkCoupe 09-14-2012 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by hippiGlass (Post 6565770)
soo i just took the car for a real test drive and WOW i noticed a big difference right away..i was really surprised! the lag on the 5AT Tiptronic is gone..it just pulls through the gears... i know a lot of people will say its in my head but i can feel what ever extra torque it was losing by the engine rockin...... i know right? a 34$ ebay item did something it claims to do....well it actually does! im sold on this i 100% can feel a difference! my car is a 06 DG 5AT coupe, only mod is a fast intentions cat back..

i video taped the test drive but when i got on it the camera went flying back in the car...picked it up and kept filming but didnt realize i pressed the stop button soo the vid was a big fail...i was talkin to myself the whole time lol.. ill do it right next time...(duct tape) lol

Sorry, but their are only two ways to improve AT shifts. First, a Transgo valve body kit which changes the mechanical parts in the valve body which ultimately controls shifts and secondly a SprintBooster or similar device that changes throttle response. Everything from the throttle position sensor to the ECU to the TCM (transmission control module) is electronic.