G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   The G-Spot (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot-185/)
-   -   New Shift Knob Design for M/T or A/T G's (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/442927-new-shift-knob-design-m-t-t-gs.html)

Killjulez 08-06-2014 03:00 PM

New Shift Knob Design for M/T or A/T G's

2 Attachment(s)
Hey all! I've been working on some new shift knob designs that are out of the ordinary and would like to share what I have come up with to see what everyone thinks. My goal is to make a knob primarily for the M/T market that is completely different than any knob currently on the market. Every other shift knob manufacturer out there sells shift knobs that can be turned on a CNC lathe easily for mass production. I went the opposite route and used a 5-Axis CNC machine to achieve a complex billet knob design. The images below are of my first design. I would really appreciate any constructive criticism or ideas for other styles that are not currently available on the market.

Thanks!

Attachment 187704

Attachment 187705

PLENUMCOUPE 08-06-2014 03:17 PM

Would love to get an AT billet knob with the trigger for an 06 coupe. If u successfully make one I'll be ur first customer

SxExCx 08-06-2014 03:40 PM

Will we have a demo model for AT and MT ready for the Sedan GTG on 09/20?

Killjulez 08-06-2014 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by SxExCx (Post 6928736)
Will we have a demo model for AT and MT ready for the Sedan GTG on 09/20?

I can definitely have them ready by then.

Killjulez 08-11-2014 05:22 PM

Well either I posted this up in the wrong section or there really isn't much interest for this style of shift knob. Either way, if any of you M/T guys want to try one out and tell me what you think, just shoot me a PM. I'm looking to get some feedback on it and I'm willing to throw one or more out there for free. It feels great in my hand and when I make it out of stainless it will weigh around 450-500 grams which would make shifting a lot smoother. Hope to hear from some of you! :biggthumpup:

ChinkyChoy 08-11-2014 07:59 PM

this is burnt ti whoooooo

ACE420 08-11-2014 08:14 PM

Ill be a guinea pig for an automatic one if interested

Brooksy088 08-11-2014 10:16 PM

Looking good. How much are you thinking of selling these for?

thegreatkwijibo 08-11-2014 11:21 PM

Also willing to be an AT guinea pig lol. if you do start producing them how much are you guestimating it will set me back?

Hotdawwgman 08-12-2014 01:36 AM

Please let me know! Must have

ACE420 08-12-2014 09:59 AM

At first I didn't like. But the more I look the more interested I am in it! I want to try this baby out. Let me know when you get things rolling pls

Urbanengineer 08-12-2014 10:26 AM

Obvs the auto guys want something new... Hint hint.

Killjulez 08-12-2014 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by PLENUMCOUPE (Post 6928721)
Would love to get an AT billet knob with the trigger for an 06 coupe. If u successfully make one I'll be ur first customer

Unfortunately I don't think I will be doing one with a trigger system in it. It will cost a lot to design and manufacture. I'll see what I can do though.

Thanks everyone for the input and willingness to test these out. As Urbanengineer mentioned, it looks like you A/T guys are interested in testing these knobs out. I've got the manual knobs ready to test, I just have to do some more programming and design to finish the A/T version of the knobs.

As far as the price of these knobs goes... The aluminum versions will be different prices depending on whether it is for a manual or auto. Manual knobs are going to be less expensive because they require less machine time and less parts to complete the knob. The A/T knobs will be comparable in price to the current ball style knobs that SXEXCX has for sale in the vendor section. However, I do plan on offering a special introductory price for these knobs so if you are interested I will take your name down and keep it in a safe place for when I have them ready to distribute.

Stay subscribed for more pictures to come. I've got two versions of this knob done now and I'm about to post up some more pictures.

Urbanengineer 08-12-2014 11:38 AM

Manual shift knobs are more commonplace as you can easily create them... Nothing for AT's really other then SEC's, and I'm not a fan of the large ball type.

Please use a knob system other then the push down on the ball type. These are dangerous for spirited driving.

Killjulez 08-12-2014 11:52 AM

^

Just curious as to why you feel the push down are more dangerous for spirited driving? I haven't heard of anyone with issues with them as of yet, but I would like to hear why you feel that way about them so I can give it consideration to make a non push down type.