The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Fog light bulbs - Crystal Vision (Phillips)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
Also when you're looking out for them make sure they have some form of "anti-glare" or reflector on the bulb itself to direct the light in the same manner a halogen bulb does. That'll ensure it produces a proper beam pattern that won't cause glare to oncoming drivers on the road.
The fog lights on my '08 have a mirrored 'shroud' (though I don't know what the interior sections look like). Will that reflector you refer to be necessary ?

Attached Thumbnails Fog light bulbs - Crystal Vision (Phillips)-img_2108.jpg  
Old 05-29-2018, 04:22 PM
I see plenty of 9006 LED 'lights' with heat sinks and cooling fans and also see some like these. Anyone have that kind ? What's the difference ?

I also see some of these LED assemblies reference the LED manufacturer (Cree, COB, etc) and some reference the "chips" manufacturer (Philips, etc). Which are the ideal components to look for as far as reliability ?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
They don't provide great output and typically have shorter lives than HID. That said, don't put LED in your headlights yet, the tech just isn't there.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:05 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
My LEDs put out a lot more usable light, better distance and penetration than my stupid halogen bulbs that were in the projectors, both stock and aftermarket. Not to mention the cutoff is hella cleaner and the light dispersion is way better. The brilliant white color is just a bonus.

Hall the kit I bought is this one, for the GTO they were truly plug and play. Came with ballasts and the bulbs have fans to cool them. They produce 360* light and fit in my headlight housings with the dust caps on. 2 Year warranty and almost 500 reviews with a 4.3 out of 5 rating between them. I've had them for 3 months with absolutely no issues, they didn't cause any electrical issues such as hyperblinking either. As you can see they have available replacements for a number of headlight bulbs. Not sure if they offer kits to replace D2R or D2S bulbs but I haven't looked.

https://www.amazon.com/oEdRo-H11-Hea...ght+bulb&psc=1
See below.....

Originally Posted by Scorpi0
I was talking about cheap ebay LED's which dont require a ballast. I get 2 for $5 bucks. Havent had one fail or start blinking yet. They have a nice white color but dont put out much light beyond 5 feet.
I put the non-ballast LED bulbs only in my fogs on the GTO because from what I've read the function of fog lights is to disperse a ton of light in front of and to the side of the vehicle. These do that perfectly, I wouldn't run them as my low or high beams.

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
They don't provide great output and typically have shorter lives than HID. That said, don't put LED in your headlights yet, the tech just isn't there.
As I said in my post above, the complete LED kit I used is hands down far better than the halogen bulbs the GTO came with (H11). Of course we have intense discussions about the HID vs. LED replacements on ls1gto but a lot of goat owners are running the LED's and loving them as do I. One of the big points in agreement we discuss is finding a LED kit that includes bulbs designed with 360* light output and "having the headlight filament like the original halogen bulb making the reflection angle the same as the original designed." Again, a quick search on Amazon only shows one company that makes kits like mine for the D2R/D2S so obviously selection is limited which from my naïve point of view means they're not enormously popular.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

The point is LED light is single point source light where Halogen is a wire burning and HID is xenon gas arcing. They all have different optics that trying to make it work in a certain housing just can't work.

Buying a projector made for that type of light is the ideal way to get output you want with the tech you desire.

Reality is HID in a projector still trumps LED in hotspot output, width, and low glare... by a long way. If LED was a worthy upgrade without blinding everyone and having too much foreground (what everyone thinks Is good output) I would do it for sure, but unfortunately it's just not there.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 11:29 AM
What distance should fog lights be 'judged' at for usefulness ? I'll take pictures showing the difference with them on vs off. With other cars, you could definitely see a change when they're turned on or off. With this car, at least the '08 models, they seem to be more for looks than function.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

25' from the front of the vehicle to the wall. Here is an output shot from about 20'.

Attached Thumbnails Fog light bulbs - Crystal Vision (Phillips)-photo272.jpg  
Old 05-31-2018, 10:57 PM
Finally got pictures. Two of them are showing the fog lights on and off. The third picture shows the color difference between the Xenon headlight bulb and the standard halogen fog light bulb.

Attached Thumbnails Fog light bulbs - Crystal Vision (Phillips)-img_2179.jpg   Fog light bulbs - Crystal Vision (Phillips)-img_2180.jpg   Fog light bulbs - Crystal Vision (Phillips)-img_2183.jpg  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Looks good and non blinding bA+!

Old 06-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Do they look "effective" though? Other than a difference in color (on the ground and door) it's hard to tell they're even on. At least to me....

Old 06-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
The fog lights on my '08 have a mirrored 'shroud' (though I don't know what the interior sections look like). Will that reflector you refer to be necessary ?
If the halogen bulb that's in there already has the reflector cup inside the bulb (like H4 bulbs on the low beam filament) then you'd need LED lights with the reflector part to replicate the beam pattern. See this image >>

Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
I see plenty of 9006 LED 'lights' with heat sinks and cooling fans and also see some like these. Anyone have that kind ? What's the difference ?

I also see some of these LED assemblies reference the LED manufacturer (Cree, COB, etc) and some reference the "chips" manufacturer (Philips, etc). Which are the ideal components to look for as far as reliability ?
I would avoid LED lights relying solely on passive cooling (the ones with no fans) unless they are being used for fogs or high beams only. The LED chips really need ample cooling for long life so a passive cooled set of lights running large number of hours as the low beams wouldn't last very long. For fog/highs which aren't used as often they'd be alright.

The LED chip manufactures like CREE, Philips, Lumileds etc are good brands of chips. COB is chip on board - a type of LED chip. COB is normally cheaper and more common on low quality lights. Because COB is an array of LEDs placed on a board it's very hard to distinguish between each actual LED. This means if 20% or so start to die out or lose colour, on the surface most consumers won't be able to tell the difference in output. Because of this, manufacturers can get away with using low quality components. Compared with a 1-3 single LED chips, if one goes out it would be a very obvious failure so the quality of parts and production must be kept high. Also, COB are quite fragile and most aftermarket COB lights get damaged by the jolting vibrations from day to day driving.