G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   The G-Spot (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot-185/)
-   -   Test driver broke my car (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/465918-test-driver-broke-my-car.html)

Ichiglo_ 02-11-2019 06:29 PM

Test driver broke my car

So I recently listen my auto 03 sedan on multiple sites for sale and a potential buyer messaged me this morning to see the car.I daily drive my sedan with no problem and really don’t redline my car much and I see no reason to as I take city streets to work.Anyways we met up and the buyer was very interested in the car and wanted to test drive it.During the test drive,the buyer drove it aggressively going at least 60mph in small streets and kept flooring it the whole drive.But during the drive he had it in manual mode and I noticed he kept it in upshift and didn’t shift any gears and I heard a loud bang on the hood.We parked at a nearby mall and popped the hood and now my pulley is poppped out which also damaged my radiator fan and radiator as well as my serpentine belt which is completely shredded.My daily driver is now undriveable and is leaking coolant along with a brake and battery light on my dash.The driver then used that as an excuse to knock down the price and supposedly was offering to buy it still as is tomorrow but I doubt he’s coming back.Anyways I called the tow and had it towed to my house and now I’m stuck as to what to do.I really don’t want to drop anymore money on the car as I was trying to get rid of it to buy a more economical car.now it’s uber trips to work. 😠 should I junk it?

cleric670 02-11-2019 06:58 PM

What exactly broke? Take a pic and post it.

Even under the stress of redline the motor shouldn't kaboom unless something was worn and on the way out in the first place, mechanically the non-rev can hold 7500 before oil starvation blows out a bearing. 7k sustained is not going to kill the motor and the AT model shouldn't be seeing anything over 6800 anyways due to rev limiters.

Are you sure it was a pulley that went first or did the belt blow and then wind itself around a pulley and take it out?

Ichiglo_ 02-12-2019 02:59 AM

The idiot floored it on 1st gear in manual mode which maybe caused it to happen.I daily drive my car to work every day no problems but I drive it in Normal auto mode.ill take pics tomorrow morning

Blue Dream 02-12-2019 07:16 AM

There's virtually no way the test driver did anything that would cause your pulley to fly off, shred the belt and hurt the radiator and fans but it is a case of bad timing. It's clear to me you don't know a lot about how cars work based on this and other posts/threads of yours and that's cool because you're here asking for help. This is a great place to learn which in turn will make you a more knowledgeable owner and you can save a lot of $$$ learning to fix common issues on your own down the road.

Flooring a car in first isn't an idiotic thing to do but it's not cool IMHO to do it on a test drive in a car that isn't yours. As long as your car has plenty of oil and other fluids this sounds like a mechanical failure of some kind that has nothing to do with the test drive, it's just ironic it happened then. No need to scrap the car, get what's messed up fixed and hopefully the mechanic that does the work can tell you what caused the issue. If the test driver does show up and wants to negotiate price listen to his offer and decide if you want to negotiate a better or take what he offers you. He'll probably try to lowball you but it doesn't hurt to hear what he has to say.

Ichiglo_ 02-12-2019 05:39 PM

Ichiglo_ 02-12-2019 05:40 PM

eazdaskeez 02-12-2019 07:17 PM

Yikes! I gotta agree with the previous posters, seems like bad timing but flooring it won't do that much damage. I take mines on spirited drives weekly and that's never happened
​​​

cleric670 02-12-2019 09:20 PM

Yep, fan clutch pulley died a horrible death, fortunately it's not an expensive component.

$50 fan clutch pulley
$50 new fan blade
Reuse existing fan clutch
$10 new drive belt
$60 new 2003 radiator
$20 Nissan green coolant 1 gallon

Less than $200 worth of parts to repair, hardest part sometimes is getting that fan clutch pulley bracket out, sometimes it just pops out, other times you have to beat it out with a hammer and drift.

EDIT: Hardest part is bleeding air from the system, biggest tip I can give you is to ADD COOLANT SLOWLY!!!! If you just dump in a bunch and fill the radiator you may as well just drain it out and start over again, 1 gallon per minute max so pour it in VERY SLOOOOOOWLY.

Ichiglo_ 02-13-2019 06:25 PM

Update guys:Turns out my car is on its last legs it has 250k miles and my mechanic told me that my car isn’t worth my money to fix because the engine is about to give out soon 😪 I daily drove my car for 2 years and now she’s about to rip it’s a good thing I guess...she was eating up my paychecks month by month on maintenance I should of seen it coming.Thankgod I have my new 6mt in my garage waiting for me to use it in the summertime.Now I have to find a $1000 beater to get me to work

eazdaskeez 02-13-2019 06:26 PM

Well ya left out the 250k miles part, That would have explained alot lmao. Happy hunting!

Also, how does he know its gonna die soon? Just curious 🤔

cleric670 02-14-2019 09:08 AM

Unless he did a compression check he's just guessing based off mileage. If it makes 300k that's still 3+ years of daily driver use.

Hall Stevenson 02-14-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ (Post 7161536)
Turns out my car is on its last legs it has 250k miles and my mechanic told me that my car isn’t worth my money to fix because the engine is about to give out soon

You have a special mechanic ! Really impressed with his skills.

Ichiglo_ 02-14-2019 09:50 AM

Car was bad luck anyways.Something always went wrong with it and it left me stranded 3 times so I don’t mind letting it go now I guess

cswlightning 02-14-2019 03:05 PM

Things tend to break when you leave original components on for 250k miles... but I wouldn't be fixing a rusty 250k mile car either.

Hall Stevenson 02-14-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by cswlightning (Post 7161592)
Things tend to break when you leave original components on for 250k miles...

Do people change fan pulleys as routine maintenance ? At what mileage ?