G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   The G-Spot (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot-185/)
-   -   Hood hinge bent (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/465935-hood-hinge-bent.html)

G35ATL 02-13-2019 04:35 AM

Hood hinge bent

I replaced the passenger hood hinge on my 2004 coupe already. But what bugged me was why... why was it bent to begin with? My parents have an 2003 sedan with the same issue. Yet my friend's 2003 sedan hinge isnt bent. The main difference was HOW we lifted the car up during oil changes. I would normally prop the hood and jack one side up, do the oil change. While he used ramps to get underneath. The weight of the hood is too much for one of the hinges, which causes it to bend.

So if you do your own oil change by jacking. i recommend lowering the hood (not close) during the change. Not sure how many people know this, but thought id share it.

Blue Dream 02-13-2019 07:56 AM

Hood struts are one of my favorite $20 mods for the G especially the DIY'er. Why in the world they didn't come stock on a "luxury" car is beyond me. Installing a pair will even out the pressure on the hinges helping to eliminate the possibility of bending one or both. And for all of us that change their own oil a Fumoto valve is a godsend, if you don't have a clue what that is Google the mf'er. It's my second favorite $20 mod and an aluminum undertray is always a good idea as well.

herrschaft 02-13-2019 08:06 AM

They are thin and aluminum. Hood hinges are a common problem, just be sure to keep them lubed.

G35ATL 02-13-2019 12:27 PM

I actually plan on putting on an aluminum undertray. I need to get a new bumper too tho. One night while driving. I shifted lanes and ran over a blown out tire on the highway. Ripped off my undertray and both wheel weather guards... the holes underneath the bumper are gone and its slightly ripped. Used zip ties to stop the rip.

As for the hood hinges, i already lubed them lithium grease. Its been awhile so i should prob do that again. But having or not having grease on a hinge, wouldnt cause that much stress for a bend to occur.
​​​​

Scorpi0 02-13-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dream (Post 7161481)
And for all of us that change their own oil a Fumoto valve is a godsend, if you don't have a clue what that is Google the mf'er. It's my second favorite $20 mod

Holy crap! Definitely getting installed during my next oil change. Thanks!

cleric670 02-13-2019 01:12 PM

My main reason for NOT switching to a Fumoto is I'm a big believer in magnetic drain plugs. They are quick and easy though.

G35ATL 02-13-2019 01:12 PM

Hood struts are one of my favorite $20 mods for the G especially the DIY'er. Why in the world they didn't come stock on a "luxury" car is beyond me. Installing a pair will even out the pressure on the hinges helping to eliminate the possibility of bending one or both. And for all of us that change their own oil a Fumoto valve is a godsend, if you don't have a clue what that is Google the mf'er. It's my second favorite $20 mod and an aluminum undertray is always a good idea as well.

Hood struts and the fumoto valve is nice. But Id like to not add extra parts when not really needed. Fumoto would be good for oil samples tho

herrschaft 02-13-2019 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by G35ATL (Post 7161494)
But having or not having grease on a hinge, wouldnt cause that much stress for a bend to occur.
​​​​

Yes, it would. And its a common issue on these cars.

G35ATL 02-13-2019 07:59 PM

If thats true, then wouldnt both hinges bend within the same time frame.

cleric670 02-13-2019 08:29 PM

No, one side starts to bind up and the geometry of the hinge causes it to start wearing the paint on the fender a little before it's finally shot. They're pretty flimsy hinges to begin with considering the weight it's supporting but they do look really nice being all recessed back and whatnot.

Blue Dream 02-14-2019 07:26 AM

And this ^ is why I advocate hood struts. They take 10 minutes to install and they keep even pressure on both sides of the hood helping to prevent the stress on one side or the other that bends the hinges. For $20 why people would not do it is my question.

Lexpd1145 03-16-2019 05:34 PM

Where can I find?

I have a new set of oem hinges on the way for my 2005 G35. The car isn't where I can check it atm, is it setup already for the hood struts or is there a kit somewhere to add them? This would be a must do for me if someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Charlie

G2B35AGN 03-16-2019 05:46 PM

There are YouTube videos showing installation on a G35.

Lexpd1145 03-16-2019 07:08 PM

Found some

Found some and they are on the way. I love new toys =)

Charlie

FreshLikeAG 03-16-2019 09:50 PM

And for all of us that change their own oil a Fumoto valve is a godsend, if you don't have a clue what that is Google the mf'er.

Although I've been rocking the fumoto valve for years I have been seriously thinking about going back to a drain plug. The valve is great and all but damn it drains SLOW.