G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   The G-Spot (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot-185/)
-   -   New to me G35 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/466021-new-me-g35.html)

WoodG35 02-22-2019 04:13 PM

New to me G35

Hello, I just joined to hopefully become more informed about my new car...
I had a decent 99' C5 Corvette I wanted to get rid of because I am disabled and it was getting harder & harder to get into & out of the Vette. I had it for sale for $8,000
I traded a guy for a 2005 G35 Sedan which he had for sale for $5,000.......... So I did a trade which was the G35 Sedan + $3,000 cash for my Vette.
The car is in immaculate condition, interior is like new condition, body is perfect except for needing a good buffing & wax job. Engine runs perfect. It does have 150K miles on it.
The car has every option with the premium options (can't remember what it's called..."premium something")
Basically everything that could be had on the car except no Sirius radio (which sucks, now I have to figure out how to integrate my Sirius into it the best way.)
Would include a picture but we just got hammered with a RARE snowstorm here in central Arizona and the car is under 30" of snow.

Did I do OK o maybe got taken?

I like this car MUCH better than the Vette so I am happy......Just curious what you guys think concerning the deal?

Blue Dream 02-23-2019 06:44 AM

$5K is a decent deal on an 05 in great condition, the mileage kills the value. Congrats on the purchase, the G can be a great car when properly maintained. Do you have any service records for it or any available? You're more than likely looking at spending a decent amount of money, over $1000, replacing key wear components unless some or all have already been addressed. Being able to DIY these will save you huge $$$ but I don't know with your disability if that would be possible. All front end bushings, rear differential bushings, radiator, possibly rad fans, hoses, wheel bearings, all fluids, shocks etc. need to be addressed. However if the rest of the car is pristine when you get done with the long term maintenance you'll essentially have a car that drives/rides better than new.

Read, read and read some more through the forum, it's the motherlode of knowledge on the internet for all things G. And welcome to the family, we're glad you're here and hope you enjoy your stay!

cleric670 02-23-2019 06:18 PM

Maintenance is key on these cars, they're amazing when properly maintained. Congrats on the trade.

As for the Sirius radio, take the car down to a reputable local stereo shop and have them take a look at it. I know the '06 is pre-wired for satellite but I'm not sure about the 2005. You might need a new head unit along with the reciever and sat antenna. If it's pre-wired you just need the reciever and antenna and they plug in to the harness in the trunk.

WoodG35 02-24-2019 12:08 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I am disabled but can still do my own maint. & repairs, it just takes me longer than it used to.
I have a ton of service records going back for about 10 years. The car has been very well maintained and is in top shape.
The only issues is getting the Sirius sorted out......and the clock in the dash isn't working, I assume I will need to just replace it. Other than that there is nothing really to do to it.
Well, I am going to replace the tires as soon as I decide what to put on it. Something with decent ride with good wet / dry traction. Not going to be racing it I am outgrown that phase in my life. I want to enjoy the luxury.

I saw the Sirius harness is in the trunk I believe on the driver side under the carpet in pictures..... So if I pull the carpet and maybe an access plate(?) and the plug is there I only need the Sirius/XM reciever & antennae and I'm good to go?

G2B35AGN 02-24-2019 12:33 AM

Driver floor in trunk is location for Sirius receiver in the coupes. For your 2005 sedan, I believe it is on the underside of the parcel shelf on the passenger side of the trunk. Search my username and satellite; you should find some posts discussing this. I retrofitted a receiver into my 2006 sedanX [R.I.P.] following the technical service bulletin for dealers to use when adding the option to cars that didn't get it in the factory.

WoodG35 02-24-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN (Post 7162234)
Driver floor in trunk is location for Sirius receiver in the coupes. For your 2005 sedan, I believe it is on the underside of the parcel shelf on the passenger side of the trunk. Search my username and satellite; you should find some posts discussing this. I retrofitted a receiver into my 2006 sedanX [R.I.P.] following the technical service bulletin for dealers to use when adding the option to cars that didn't get it in the factory.

Ok, I will look for your posts on the subject. Thank you

WoodG35 02-25-2019 05:26 PM

I couldn't find any of your posts dealing with this subject that would help me, I suck at searching but I tried...
I pulled the panel inside of the trunk to see whats below the parcel shelf...... Saw 2 speakers, an amp ( I'm assuming that's what it was ), and some doo-hickey in the center I have no idea what it is??

Maybe someone can I.D. the part for me?

At this point I am thinking my car isn't wired for satellite........

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...1313eab3fe.jpg

cleric670 02-25-2019 07:02 PM

The satellite wiring will be down in the spare tire well. I think the doo-hickey is the radio antenna amp.

Spare tire well has the HICAS controller, the RAS controller (if equipped), BOSE amp if equipped, Bluetooth phone adapter (if equipped), and the spare wiring harness. All those components are on the left side of the spare tire, some disassembly is required.

WoodG35 02-25-2019 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7162341)
The satellite wiring will be down in the spare tire well. I think the doo-hickey is the radio antenna amp.

Spare tire well has the HICAS controller, the RAS controller (if equipped), BOSE amp if equipped, Bluetooth phone adapter (if equipped), and the spare wiring harness. All those components are on the left side of the spare tire, some disassembly is required.

Ok, I had the spare tire out today and saw nothing at all in the well....other than a tire, jack & handle....nothing else, notta, zip.

Thanks for the help!

cleric670 02-25-2019 07:17 PM

Yeah there are plastic provisions on the left and right side, the right side one is the holder for the jack/handle/lug wrench, etc. Left side one is empty and is just a cover for all the goodies below, both of them can be removed as well.

You know you hit the bottom when you're down to some sound deadening carpet, wiring harnesses, electrical equipment, and you can see out the back corners of the car down to the road through the fresh air check flaps.

G2B35AGN 02-25-2019 08:42 PM

Cleric, it's a sedan not a coupe....

G2B35AGN 02-25-2019 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, I did some poking around. I had a 2006 sedan, and those all came prewired for satellite. The info at the following link suggests that if the a 2005 sedan was not equipped with a satellite tuner from the factory, there was no wiring provided. I thought the 2005 and 2006 models were pretty similar in all respects except for some minor 2006 refresh items, but apparently this might be one significant area of difference.

https://www.justanswer.com/nissan-in...g35-sedan.html

The photos at that link show where the dealer-installed tuner location is; on the back of the rear seat frame down low in the trunk room on the right hand (passenger) side. The pre-wired harness in my 2006 sedan was taped up above this area under the parcel shelf. It was not between the amp and the subwoofer (center speaker) that you are showing.

See the two attached pages extracted from the instructions for dealer install of the tuner in a 2006 model.

G2B35AGN 02-25-2019 11:21 PM

Here's links to some of the G35 threads on the topic:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...confusion.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...at-button.html (this one says 2004 and later were pre-wired; check your VIN)
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post6911252
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...work-06-a.html

Finally, you might want to download the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your year and model:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/

Make sure to keep it all in one folder. Start with the file named 'fwd.pdf'; it is a hyperlinked Table of Contents that will then take you to the section you are looking for.

cleric670 02-26-2019 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN (Post 7162356)
Cleric, it's a sedan not a coupe....

Whoops >.<

WoodG35 03-01-2019 12:52 PM

Well........

The elusive plug was finally found behind the passenger rear seat (where it was supposed to be) and I shopped for a receiver / tuner & an antenna kit on Ebay and other sites.
I found a used OEM Sirius tuner / receiver ( for $53.00 ) but could only find a XM antenna kit ( $27.50 ) and figured it would work but wanted to be sure before I bought it.

I called Sirius/XM to find out if an XM antenna could be used with a Sirius receiver without any issues....... They said no I needed a Sirius antenna which they sold...... I figured it would be expensive but asked what the price was.....

A brand NEW receiver / tuner AND the Sirius antenna kit was only $69.00 plus they waived shipping because I have an account already so with tax it was like $73.00 so I said "hell yeah, ship that baby!"

So it's on it's way and should solve the problem I had and the subject of this thread.

I want to thank everyone who helped me here, It was my first post and it got me on track.

About 98% of the people on the Corvette forum I belonged to because of my old Corvette were rich, pompous, arrogant, conceited & self righteous jerks.

I like my start here and the people seem awesome! Thanks again.