G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   The G-Spot (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot-185/)
-   -   2008 G35x vs 2010 G37x (https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/466910-2008-g35x-vs-2010-g37x.html)

zmurray 06-11-2019 08:29 PM

2008 G35x vs 2010 G37x

So I am in the market to buy either a 2008 G35x with 108K miles or a 2010 G37x with 120k miles. The G35x is a little beat up especially shown on the interior and wheels. I want to pick the car that is not only more reliable, but I also plan on doing my own aftermarket stuff to either of the cars for more power etc. and want to know which has the better platform. All responses are appreciated.

cleric670 06-12-2019 12:07 PM

Do a little bit of research into the reliability issues of each motor, the 2008 is equipped with the VQ35HR motor, the 2010 has the VQ37VHR. Neither vehicle has much in the way of chassis issues, no real transmission issues (aside from neglect or abuse). However being on a sports car platform the suspensions on both vehicles are going to need substantial work to get them back to OEM spec, compression rods, tie rod ends, various bushings, ball joints, possibly wheel bearings, struts, etc. Typical with sports cars that have over 100k miles on them.

Get a pre-purchase inspection from Nissan/Infiniti and I strongly recommend paying a little extra to have them align the vehicle. If it cannot be aligned then you definitely have suspension work to do.

If the seller won't let you do a pre-purchase inspection then walk away unless it's a REALLY good deal.

zmurray 06-12-2019 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7169987)
Do a little bit of research into the reliability issues of each motor, the 2008 is equipped with the VQ35HR motor, the 2010 has the VQ37VHR. Neither vehicle has much in the way of chassis issues, no real transmission issues (aside from neglect or abuse). However being on a sports car platform the suspensions on both vehicles are going to need substantial work to get them back to OEM spec, compression rods, tie rod ends, various bushings, ball joints, possibly wheel bearings, struts, etc. Typical with sports cars that have over 100k miles on them.

Get a pre-purchase inspection from Nissan/Infiniti and I strongly recommend paying a little extra to have them align the vehicle. If it cannot be aligned then you definitely have suspension work to do.

If the seller won't let you do a pre-purchase inspection then walk away unless it's a REALLY good deal.

They are both currently at an Infiniti dealership. I’m not sure if they do a pre-purchase inspection already or if I will have to ask them to?

cleric670 06-12-2019 05:45 PM

Find out which options package each one has.

Also, if you are looking at COUPES then the 2008 coupe should actually be a G37x since that's the first year it was available. If you're looking at SEDANS then the 2008 model year was still the G35.

If they're both sedans then I'd be leaning towards the G37 but you need to add a front lip spoiler to "fix" that rediculous looking front bumper.

zmurray 06-12-2019 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7170017)
Find out which options package each one has.

Also, if you are looking at COUPES then the 2008 coupe should actually be a G37x since that's the first year it was available. If you're looking at SEDANS then the 2008 model year was still the G35.

If they're both sedans then I'd be leaning towards the G37 but you need to add a front lip spoiler to "fix" that rediculous looking front bumper.

Ya it is a sedan and they do look a little weird in the front so that’s all stuff I would plan to do. But do you know anything about the aftermarket market for them?

cleric670 06-12-2019 08:38 PM

Pretty much an infinite aftermarket for either platform, suspension, powertrain, any manner of forced induction, it's all available.

However this platform isn't the most cost effective platform to be building, if you want screaming fast 1000hp on a budget I advise you to look into getting an Evo. If you want 500-600hp on a budget get something with an LS motor.

If you want a classy looking sports sedan that's going to cost more than other performance options then look into the V35/V36 platform :) It all depends on what EXACTLY your goals are, if you're happy with 400whp then you can get that with about $5k with a supercharger, if your plans are for MORE than that then you might consider a different vehicle because VQ's are expensive to build.

zmurray 06-12-2019 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7170039)
Pretty much an infinite aftermarket for either platform, suspension, powertrain, any manner of forced induction, it's all available.

However this platform isn't the most cost effective platform to be building, if you want screaming fast 1000hp on a budget I advise you to look into getting an Evo. If you want 500-600hp on a budget get something with an LS motor.

If you want a classy looking sports sedan that's going to cost more than other performance options then look into the V35/V36 platform :) It all depends on what EXACTLY your goals are, if you're happy with 400whp then you can get that with about $5k with a supercharger, if your plans are for MORE than that then you might consider a different vehicle because VQ's are expensive to build.

That’s really all I’m looking for. Nothing crazy just a quicker car I can still use as a daily. Thanks for your feedback, really appreciated.