G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   DIY: Washer Fluid Pump/Reservior Removal (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/117158-diy-washer-fluid-pump-reservior-removal.html)

ZXERT 09-18-2006 04:36 PM

DIY: Washer Fluid Pump/Reservior Removal

There are no pics because I don't have a camera (idiot). But I would be willing to do this with someone in the Sacramento area at a meet to get some pictures. I think I've done a good job explaining. If you need clarification on this, send me a pm.

I bought my G last week and after the first insurance payment and the 4k down payment I'm strapped for cash. I was thinking
about some mods to do that wouldn't cost anything but at least get me familiar with the car. The first thing that came to mind
was the Windshield washer reservoir/pump. After driving for 5 years I've never been to the point where I needed this. Considering some people will take out their back seats to save weight- This seems like a good start. I haven't seen any threads and searching is for pussies, so here’s how it turned out.

First of all, it took me about 1:30 to do this. Now that I got around the few minor issues, I could do it in 30 minutes.

The tank holds somewhere over a gallon. Empty, the reservoir, tank and filler neck weigh near 2.5lbs. So if you have 30
minutes you can lose 10lbs. That’s a much better trade than spending 150 for a lightweight battery and saving 20lbs (though
this is one of my next mods). It’s FREE.

Let’s get started.

NOTE: You can drain the tank two ways, 1) Pull your wipers into the up position so they are away from the window and pull the
arm on your steering column. MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE YOUR SUNROOF. I found that the fluid was shooting 2-3 feet past the back of
my car. 2) Once you remove the lower plastics you can disconnect the washer fluid hose that plugs into the pump. This is
probably the best way since you can drain it into a canister.

1. Basically you remove the engine coolant reservoir which just pulls out.

2. Next to the radiator there are two nuts which screw the washer tank to the bumper support. Remove them.

3. Take off the passenger side front tire. (Pretend I don't have to tell you to jack it up first)

4. Now remove the wheel well plastic which entails 4-5 10mm bolts underneath the front lip, and all of those little
clippy-mc-clipper dealies that secure the plastics together. You should be able to take the lining off and set it to the
side. (Now’s a good time to drain the fluid, just look for the pump, its white, and pull the little hose off.

5. Now is the fun part, there is a screw it the most awkward position you will ever see. Luckily you can get to it very easily
if you see the opening.

- The screw is 10mm and is on the top right of the washer fluid tank, directly below the headlight.

- You will only see the threaded end of the screw.

- You need to sneak your hand between the front bumper and the back of the tank. There’s a little hole in the protective
shroud that separates the front bumper and the tank.

- You need to sit inside of the fender well (jack stands plz) and insert your hand from the left side of the tank, while your
right hand smuggles itself through the hole to guide the wrench or socket over the head. You'll basically be hugging the
passenger side front bumper. <3 <3 <3 XOXO.

6. There are two electrical connectors. One going to the pump for power, and I'm guessing another for a sensor inside the
tank. Remove them from the tank and let them chill.

7. Unplug the hose leading to the wipers (goes into the rear fender plastics) and trim it as far as possible. You should now
be able to remove the tank.

8. The final step is to tape the wires so they don't jingle around. I covered the ends in E-Tape and wrapped them around the
corner signal wiring, and wrapped that in gorilla tape.

Wrap it up. Go get some pizza pucks or something.

Nismo G 09-18-2006 05:22 PM

I like the idea! It is a very good way to start learning about the car and get to know it. Im actually considering this myself! :D

ZXERT 09-18-2006 07:45 PM

Mods: Can we get this moved to the FAQ/DIY forum?

mal_TX 09-18-2006 08:30 PM

So... aren't you only saving 2.5lbs tops? Because, one could very simply just drain the fluid out to save most of the weight you save by doing all this work?

ZXERT 09-18-2006 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by mal_TX
So... aren't you only saving 2.5lbs tops? Because, one could very simply just drain the fluid out to save most of the weight you save by doing all this work?

Exactly. But doing all this work? Its not that hard... Considering that people buy 700$ CF hoods to save 5lbs... How is 30 minutes all that work? I don't know about you, but 700$ is a sizeable chunk of my check. Any little bit helps.

Also the purpose was to show people that were thinking about it, its not that much of a savings, if you're lazy. Personally I had fun with my cousin and got to touch up the brembos and detail my wheel. Now I just have to find a reason to take off the other three. :D

ChrisAult2004 04-15-2017 11:15 AM

Holy dead thread Batman! Resurrecting a decade + old post!

Does anyone that has removed the washer fluid reservoir have the low washer fluid light on the dash? also, if so, is there a way to defeat the light? Resistor in the harness or anything?

Mg35gt 01-03-2024 03:52 AM

Bringing back an almost 7 year old post but I am going to try this and will post my response as to a dash light. Also if anyone already knows please chime in 😁.

Mg35gt 03-05-2024 02:13 AM

Hello again finally got an answer for if it throws a light, it does not! All I did was cut the wires, shrink wrap them and wrap them with the rest of the harness. Same thing works with the hood ajar sensor. Hope this helped anyone doing a wire tuck or shave.