G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Please allow me to apologize....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please allow me to apologize....

Well guys this is my post of apology for all those owners that I poked fun at about not being able to drive stick when they had to get their trannies replaced. I consider myself an EXPERT with a MT and have been driving them for 10 years. So about 4 months ago when I started hearing a chattering noise with the clutch pedal out in neautral. I didn't think much of it.

I mentioned it 2 months ago to the dealer that the sound was getting louder and they said "That's a normal sound don't sweat it". So when I got the call today informing me that the dealer was able to duplicate the sound I complained of and that the tranny needs to be replaced I was relieved that I wasn't going crazy and MORE PISSED OFF THEN EVER.

I gues maybe I might be more demanding than some when I expect my "LUXURY" sport coupe to last longer than a year before the tranny dies, but oh man am I mad. THIS WILL BE MY LAST INFINITI / NISSAN PRODUCT. I love my car guys but now I feel like the cherry is gone and I'm paying way too much a month for a car with these kind of issues.

I'm kinda kicking myself for not going with my original notion to get an AT. **Sigh** Now I am really worried about this car's worth in the future. Maybe I'll sell it after this dunno, errrrrrr. Ok sorry I need to vent, I'm off my box. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 10-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please allow me to apologize....

That's crazy! At least it will be replaced for free. I don't know why guys prefer a stick with these cars anyway. IMHO, a manual transmission is best enjoyed in a dedicated, full-bore sports car, like a 350Z, Corvette, Porsche,Viper, etc. The AT in the G seems to be just about as quick as the 6 speed, and for most people who can't drive a 6 speed well enough anyway, the AT is the obvious choice. Still, there's NO EXCUSES for a tranny failure on such a new car....

Ivory Pearl/Premium/Xenon/

Old 10-24-2003, 01:16 AM

I'm going to have to disagree with Automatic tranny being the wise choice with the G35 coupe. When I first decided to sell my Honda Prelude to purchase a new car.. the 350Z was my first choice. But after seeing the driving the G35 coupe, I immediately fell in love with the luxury sports coupe feel to the G. Why else would they include the Brembo brake system standard on the 6 Speed. Not to say the 350Z is a bad car, but the G just felt so much more refined in every way. Yes.. I do admit the manual tranny does have it's issues.. but that's a defect of the manufacturer. Like all Newer model cars, the first production year will have their problems. This occurs with any manufacturer

Old 10-24-2003, 01:48 AM

Wow.. I'm worried to hear so much about the MT but I have a 04 .. *Crosses fingers. Anyway I totally disagree with the AT over MT .. Not to get into argument on this simple, but controverisial issue... But its obvious this car was also made for 6MT.. Why include everything with the MT option (ie Brembo, and 18 in wheels..).. ? Mistake on the MT is all. IMHO, with a MT you can FEEL the car, feel in control tht is. Regardless of similar track times, the FEEL of a MT is quite different from that of an AT. This is enough for me.. Btw, I don't see why in ur argument a 350z would be for MT and not a Gcoupe... If you've test driven both, I think you'll agree that a track 350z does feel more a tad more nimble, but that isn't to say our G's are sluggish on the road... Plus, track options 350z is kind of bare in the interior....

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 10-24-2003, 01:52 AM

I also don't agree at all...

The car is an incredible alternative to crappy american muscle cars (Mustang, Camaro) and overprice German cars (BMW) but it still has the back seats.

The G35 6MT was a God send to me, someone who loves a true sports car but has out grown the two seater days of my 300ZX. Especially with the Supra not available.

There is no right or wrong...I love my G for many reasons, as do you. But speed and performance greatly outweight the semi-luxury feeling I get from driving it.

Just my $0.02

J.

Old 10-24-2003, 01:57 AM

Manuel comes with Brembos....i don't understand why any1 would give that up.

-------------------
Welcome to Los Angeles, where the Players play and we be stuck in Traffic like everyday!....

Old 10-24-2003, 02:24 AM

Don't get me wrong guys. I love my car. I chose it over the 350z and a few others I was considering at the time. But quality of service and material is VERY important to me. I decided against the Beemer because the G is a better value but if I have to replace the tranny every year it's not worth it and there is no value and savings.

Mine is a daily driver and a heavy one at that. I do about 60-70 miles a day round trip in the worst LA traffic so the 6MT get's really old some days. I feel like my G is mad at me sometimes idling in traffic and she is saying "Why can't I be free to zoom at top speed down open roads and twisty turns?"

I was willing to forgo all the irks about driving a manual daily because I believe like alot of you here do that the essence of this car is a Sports Car. That's why I bought it in red, with all the goodies, Brembos, 6 Speed, Sunroof, etc. I just figured that buying a japanese import would keep me fron dealing with the high maintenance costs and unreliability of many european sports cars.

I Guess I'm just disappointed and fearing future out of warranty costs. Would you believe the dealer told me that after 12K any interior rattles, squeeks, etc. are not covered by infiniti's "Bumper to Bumper Warranty? Only if something is found to be broken is it replaceable under the 40K warranty and of they don't "duplicate" the sound then the dealer charges you a $90 fee?

That's absurd BS in my opinion but is a good example of the treatment I've received from several dealers and even Infiniti of America. This post was really not to talk about the advantages and disadvantages of AT vs. MT only voice my frustation with the quality and lack of service from infinti. Thanks for the comments though guys. Off to bed... g'night.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 10-24-2003, 03:31 AM

The 12K period for interior defects is probably not unusual. The in-dash cup holder in my 2001 Volvo V70XC broke when the vehicle was a little over 12K miles. Volvo said it was out of warranty at 12K. The best the dealer offered was free service if I bought a new cup holder, since my car was already in the shop for maintenance.

Old 10-24-2003, 11:55 AM

As an older member of the forum, I have a different prospective of the warrantee service issue. I remember fully the days when choice was pretty much limited to the "big 3" and nothing was covered. Every make has issues, but if they get addressed and taken care of, that's positive. This is a brand new car, and for first model years you should expect some hiccups. That does not make them any less frustrating but it is reality.

My personal experiences with Infiniti have been completely positive. Thats why this is my second one. What concerns me is that these forums give the illusion that these cars are full of problems. In reality they reflect a minor portion of the multi-thouands of copies of this car being sold. People tend to complain about problems before praising. This can cause inaccurate perceptions. I am sure that the vast majority of complaints are truthful and real but they reflect a very small portion of the ownership experience. When I hear the G35 coupe or sedan referred to as a POS, mostly on the FA Forum, I give this comment the weight it deserves. For those owners it may well be a POS. For me it is not. I will strongly voice my complete satisfaction with my coupe, it exceeds my expectations.

Old 10-24-2003, 12:15 PM

I agree with Kaneda....I purposely leased this car instead of financing it BECAUSE it is a first year production car. There are going to be problems with it, just as any other car. My lease is for 3 years and 60,000 miles...so any problems I have during my lease period are covered by the warranty. If I still love it after the three years is up, then I will finance a new one or move on. Right now I've had a few problems (replacing the tranny was one of them btw), but I still have two more years to feel this car out. I'm loving this thing (although all the speeding tickets don't help). So for now I'll just enjoy it...

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 10-24-2003, 04:11 PM

What about Manuel's cousin Juana, does she come with Brembo's too?

G35C Desert Platinum/Willow Leather 5AT Aero Pack Premium Pack

Old 10-24-2003, 05:18 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Si ---- Juana has nice Brembos. [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 10-24-2003, 05:38 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude, find another more 'co-operative' dealership. The ride is a good one, but not without some teething issues tho. Another dealer will help you thru these tough times and make you feel much better about your ride.
I'm with PurplePiePete on this one, I'm happy with my ride and when I need some help, my dealer is there to give it.
I haven't had the same issues as you, (I have an auto) but you can bet Nissan is wrestling with the issue and will come up with a long term solution quickly.
You're one of the 'cornerstones' of our site bro. You gotta know you'd be missed. Let's all enjoy our G's and get thru the tough times together too. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 10-24-2003, 07:25 PM

Awwww *Sniff* *Sniff* Thanks Gsedanman. The props are much appreciated. I want everyone to know I still love my car. That hasn't changed, I'm just frustrated mostly I guess because I put my G on such a high pedistal and expect the best. Because the car makes me feel ssoooooo good. I still love the fact the it's so differant and very little other cars like it. We'll see how the servicing goes and maybe I'll try another dealer to see if Infiniti can restore my confidence. Thanks for the support guys. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.