G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Manual tranny tricky?? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/20634-manual-tranny-tricky.html)

snboarder84 03-24-2004 02:27 AM

Manual tranny tricky??

forgive me if this has already been discussed, but how is the manual tranny on the G for a beginner? i have never really driven stick, yet i'm considering to get a manual. i have a couple months b4 i actually buy, and am planning to test drive the manual several times to make sure i choose wisely. but what are some of your opinions? how is for a first-timer? will repair and maintance be a big issue. i'd really appreciate any response, forgive me again if this has already been discussed.

xswl0931 03-24-2004 04:15 AM

Re: Manual tranny tricky??

Try the search, I believe this has been discussed a few times.

Personally, I find the shifter quite easy, although the clutch is deeper than I'd like (there is a DIY mod you can do to reduce it). Now, for this car, I prefer a manual to an automatic. But for my Pathfinder, I prefer an automatic to a manual. I would say see if you can find a friend or family member who owns a manual to let you take it out or have them teach you how to drive it. I can't imagine buying a manual car before knowing how to drive a manual. Some people just don't like it, especially if you are in a lot of stop and go traffic or don't drive on the freeway frequently.

Note that the "trickest" manual I've driven is a U-Haul truck that had a sequential manual gearbox (not SMG as in BMW). It was very long throw and you could not skip gears (hence the sequential). That was NOT fun to drive, especially up a hill.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by xswl0931 on 03/24/04 01:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

IllusiveG35C 03-24-2004 06:31 AM

I bought my car as a beginner but not a complete beginner. I had the basic knowledge and I have driven a few stick cars here and there, but I've had the car 2 months and I am very happy with it, even though I drive in some heavy traffic.

-------
Mike
'04 6Mt Diamond Graphite Coupe
Prem. / Aero / 18" Sport wheels / Trunk Mat / Alum. Pedals

EX250 03-24-2004 08:11 AM

This is my first manual as well....I knew how to drive a stick, many of the "tricks" to driving stick, and had a decent amount of experience on it, but I must say the G is a lil tricky at first because of the high catch point. Once I adjusted to the clutch catching higher than usual, it became easy, however this is a FAST clutching/shifting car. Not meaing you have to fly down every road or slam every gear, but this car is designed to go from gear to gear with as little wasted time as possible, ie: short throw shifter and a very high catch ont he clutch with a useless, incredibly long throw length after the clutch.

2003.5 G Coupe premium. 6MT Black/black No navigation. No spoiler, yet.

wizawuza 03-24-2004 09:18 AM

this is the first MT car that I've driven for more than 10 minutes, and it took me like a week of half an hour/day to get used to it drive smoothly. Took like two months or more (of like 15 minutes/day max) to really be able to downshift two gears a time (smoothly) and all that.

One suggestion, make sure you understand how a manual tranny works. I always knew all the technical details, but the smoothness takes time. Read up on MT's at http://www.howstuffworks.com/

Then, when you really think you understand the clutch and gearbox, and WHY you have to do what you have to do, try to find a friend's older car to practice on.

Long story short, get the 6mt, it's not that hard to learn, and as long as you understand that you must not put the engine at >2000 rpms while slowly letting out the clutch, your clutch should do just fine.

Oh yeah, also read up on rev-matching, and all that other good stuff.

2004 Twlight Blue/Willow 6mt Coupe.
Bel Vector 985 Hardwired.
Grounding Kit.
Next Project: Carputer.

IllusiveG35C 03-24-2004 09:45 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

but I must say the G is a lil tricky at first because of the high catch point. Once I adjusted to the clutch catching higher than usual, it became easy, however this is a FAST clutching/shifting car.

<hr></blockquote>

I noticed that too!

-------
Mike
'04 6Mt Diamond Graphite Coupe
Prem. / Aero / 18" Sport wheels / Trunk Mat / Alum. Pedals

snboarder84 03-24-2004 02:05 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

One suggestion, make sure you understand how a manual tranny works. I always knew all the technical details, but the smoothness takes time. Read up on MT's at http://www.howstuffworks.com/

Then, when you really think you understand the clutch and gearbox, and WHY you have to do what you have to do, try to find a friend's older car to practice on.

<hr></blockquote>

my feelings exactly. i've driven a friend's manual truck a few times before, and it seemed pretty easy. he's gonna help me practice a bit more before i go to the dealership and test drive a manual G. but as soon as i thought about gettin a manual, i went to howstuffworks.com and read up everything about it, so i'd know why i am doin what i am doin. thanks guys