G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   is this normal? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/231278-normal.html)

lekker_droom 07-05-2008 04:35 PM

is this normal?

2 Attachment(s)
Installed the rogue short throw shifter and now the shift boot is loose. I can push it down about 1/2 inch or so. It's not tight like it should be.

V35 Skyline GT 07-05-2008 04:54 PM

Have the Rogue too. Mine doesn't do that.
Knob screwed all the way down? Got that little metal spacer in and/or in the right way (beveled side down on shifter)?

All I can think of.

lekker_droom 07-05-2008 04:57 PM

The spacer is NOT in. I would think that would make it even worse, wouldn't it?

V35 Skyline GT 07-05-2008 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by lekker_droom
The spacer is NOT in. I would think that would make it even worse, wouldn't it?

Makes sense that it would and see where you're coming from with that (push knob even further up shifter) Think install instr said to still use it. I am.

I can take pix later of mine if you want.
You try threading knob down more?

lekker_droom 07-05-2008 05:26 PM

Yeah its super tight and still has a lot of space left.

Something is not right with this.

When you got yours did it have instructions for 350z also? Mine did and I assume its the same shifter for both cars, I hope. Although when I ordered it I specified the G35 shifter.

V35 Skyline GT 07-05-2008 06:01 PM

Yeah its super tight and still has a lot of space left.

Something is not right with this.

When you got yours did it have instructions for 350z also? Mine did and I assume its the same shifter for both cars, I hope. Although when I ordered it I specified the G35 shifter.

Yeah...mine instr was for the 350Z. It's the same. Only diff was the trim plate removal was for the Z not G. Everything else inside looked the same Z/G.

Another though. I remember my oem knob had all sorts of weird gummy crap inside on threads. Some weird lock thread gunk. Cleaned that up by working it a lot on stock shifter threads back and forth till it threaded easily and all the way down little by little. PITA, but it went on my Rouge without a hitch.

Hmmm...two more (sry these bad) it's cross threaded on shifter and won't thread down more. Or...they sent you wrong thread pitch on shifter. G/Z's are 10mm 1.25 pitch. Think Hondas and such are 10mm 1.5 pitch, but Rogue doesn't make shifters for Hondas. What BMW uses...dunno.

A 1.5 onto 1.25 pitch or whichever way, will thread to a certain point then not thread down any further b/c of thread pitch differences and will be tight, but will not be threaded all the way down. Man hope the past two thoughts are not your situation.

I know about the pitch thing unfortunately from experience. Bought a Ti knob once to put on my Rogue. It was a 10mm but they sent me 1.5 pitch not the Nissan 1.25 pitch and didn't notice that till it was on. It was a mother fooker to get back off cuz it didn't look or feel right threading on. It gawled from different thread pitches and knob got destroyed in the process of removing :mad: Expensive lesson learned. Ti knob wasn't cheap :icon43:

G/L bro with all that and sorry for the novel :o
Hope it helped some...with good/bad possibilties.

lekker_droom 07-05-2008 07:41 PM

wow, thanks for really trying to help. I am just out of ideas. I guess i'm gonna wait and call 350evo monday and send them pics to and see what they suggest.

Anyone else, please chime in. I know there's a lot of people with rogue shifters on here.

lekker_droom 07-05-2008 09:06 PM

anyone else have this?

lekker_droom 07-06-2008 01:40 PM

come on rogue guys. need a solution for this, bugging the SH!T out of me.

lekker_droom 07-08-2008 05:50 PM

OK, figured out the problem. The shift knob was cross-threaded.

New shift knob works perfect and this short throw shifter is awesome. feels great.

V35 Skyline GT 07-08-2008 07:59 PM

New shift knob works perfect and this short throw shifter is awesome. feels great.

Glad you got it figured out. Yes agree it's awesome. Have a S/S knob on top of Rogue for even shorter shifts :icon38:

Enjoy.....:biggthumpup:

MikeYo 07-08-2008 08:04 PM

not normal

jiggalam 07-14-2008 12:56 PM

im have the same issue. what do you mean by "cross threaded" and what other knob did you end up getting?

lekker_droom 07-14-2008 01:00 PM

it means the threads INSIDE the shift knob were crossed, not allowing it to tighten down all the way. Even though it felt like it was screwed down all the way it was really only about halfway down.

I bought a new OEM shift knob because I love it and havent found an aftermarket knob i like better.

MOMO has a few i liked but not more than the OEM one.

elayman 07-14-2008 01:15 PM

why didn't you just reuse your old OEM knob?