G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Check this before your powertrain warranty is up! (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/232036-check-before-your-powertrain-warranty-up.html)

BlueDevilBAMF 07-11-2008 01:43 PM

Oh ok gotcha. That is certainly a frustrating symptom to diagnose - so many things it could be attributed to, as you mentioned.

bythabay 07-11-2008 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Deezflip
I've read of some people having idling problems and can't recover even with the reset procedure. They were basically forced to go to the dealership.

Being out of warranty, I was just hoping that wouldn't happen to me in the future.

I think they probably just didn't do the reset correctly.

Deezflip 07-11-2008 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by bythabay
I think they probably just didn't do the reset correctly.

:2: i was thinking that too, especially the ones that's gone through about 3 different throttle bodies already, I'm like WTF, it can't be that bad. Still have me a little paranoid though.

V35 Skyline GT 07-12-2008 11:59 AM

I'm actually not so sure the valve covers are plastic; I don't think they are plastic actually, but I could be wrong.

From the other forums/threads I've read on this topic, they're a type of plastic. They're not metal that's for sure ;)

V35 Skyline GT 07-12-2008 12:00 PM

Good info here on resetting/recalibrating things with pedal method. 350Z is the same for G35's:

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

NISMOKC 07-16-2008 03:31 AM

anyone know around how many miles would this problem start to occur?

bythabay 07-16-2008 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by NISMOKC
anyone know around how many miles would this problem start to occur?

from what I've seen I'd say around 3-4 years or 60k miles

valetkyle 07-17-2008 03:00 PM

'04 Coupe 6MT, 42,000 miles.

Oil was not that bad on the actual coil pack like the youtube video shows however if you shine a spot light down in the spark plug tube can can see oil pooled up about level with the base or nut of the spark plug. Calling Infiniti of Roswell right now.

Edit: Just got off the phone with the dealer. You would think since I'm in Alpharetta, GA and G35's are like civics around here (# wise) that the dealer would have seen this issue. I just spoke with a gentlemen in the service dept. and he said he has never seen one do this. He's 'checking things' and suppose to call me back. I think my warranty is up July 31st. Hopefully I can get new valve covers as well.

bythabay 07-17-2008 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by valetkyle
'04 Coupe 6MT, 42,000 miles.

Oil was not that bad on the actual coil pack like the youtube video shows however if you shine a spot light down in the spark plug tube can can see oil pooled up about level with the base or nut of the spark plug. Calling Infiniti of Roswell right now.

congrats on the find! Looks like the same stage I caught mine at :)

bythabay 07-17-2008 03:10 PM

congrats on the find! Looks like the same stage I caught mine at :)

oh, nvm. Mine didn't actually pour down into the tube, it was just pooling between the valve cover and the spark plug tube.

Tollboothwilley 07-20-2008 01:33 PM

How difficult is this to change out...the valve cover?

I know I had a tiny bit of oil on my spark plug threads when i changed them out.

I've never really cracked open then engine besides the plenum...

bythabay 07-20-2008 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
How difficult is this to change out...the valve cover?

I know I had a tiny bit of oil on my spark plug threads when i changed them out.

I've never really cracked open then engine besides the plenum...

it's ok to have oil on the threads... it's not ok to have oil pouring out into the spark plug tube from the area where the valve cover meets the spark plug tube.

valetkyle 07-21-2008 01:47 PM

So I took the car in @ 7am today.
Was ready to be picked up by 11am

-1 new valve cover on drivers side
-1 new spark plug
-1 new gasket

They loaned me a new G35 sedan (AT). I must say that car is peppy! Automatically rev matches for downshifts. Impressive improvement over my Bose sound system. No sweet exhaust note though and personally the interior wasn't any nicer to me than my current.

I wasn't thinking because I should have put some dirty oil in the spark plug tubes on the other side to go ahead and get that cover replaced. O well, I'm only at 42k so I'm sure they'll be seeing me again to replace the other one. Only cost me $10.00 for the loaner car fuel allowance.

Props to Roswell Infinity of North Atlanta. Awesome waiting room with free food and drinks. Good service.

bythabay 07-21-2008 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by valetkyle
So I took the car in @ 7am today.
Was ready to be picked up by 11am

-1 new valve cover on drivers side
-1 new spark plug
-1 new gasket

They loaned me a new G35 sedan (AT). I must say that car is peppy! Automatically rev matches for downshifts. Impressive improvement over my Bose sound system. No sweet exhaust note though and personally the interior wasn't any nicer to me than my current.

I wasn't thinking because I should have put some dirty oil in the spark plug tubes on the other side to go ahead and get that cover replaced. O well, I'm only at 42k so I'm sure they'll be seeing me again to replace the other one. Only cost me $10.00 for the loaner car fuel allowance.

Props to Roswell Infinity of North Atlanta. Awesome waiting room with free food and drinks. Good service.

I'm surprised they only replaced one.. they should've replaced both like they did for me while they were in there.. hmm..

valetkyle 07-21-2008 02:07 PM

I'm surprised they only replaced one.. they should've replaced both like they did for me while they were in there.. hmm..

He told me they were strict on that type of thing. As soon as they leak 1 drop I can take it back, but he couldn't replace both because the passenger side was bone dry.