G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Synthetic Oil Controversy (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/27162-synthetic-oil-controversy.html)

Patience4G35 06-20-2004 09:00 AM

Synthetic Oil Controversy

For anyone who uses synthetic oil instead of regular oil, read on:

Immediately after buying my 2003.5 G coupe last summer, I switched to Mobil 1. I bought the car, and I drive a lot so I figured that its better and more convenient to go synthetic b/c it's a pain in the butt getting your oil changed every 3000K. Anyway, a local dealer (who will remain nameless) had no problem doing the oil changes for me and putting in the Mobil 1. In fact, they encouraged it and even offered to change the the maintenance indicator on the Nav system to give me a maintenance signal after 7500 miles instead of the standard 3750. Okay, fast forward . . .

I now have 17,000 miles on my car, and I went back to the same dealer for an oil change. The service advisor tells me, "well, I hope you understand that using synthetic oil voids your warranty with respect to anything that has to do with lubrication." I replied, "Well, that essentially means the entire engine, and that is unacceptable b/c this is the first time I ever heard of this and should have been advised from the beginning."

I think this is BS. First, synthetic oil is better than regular oil, and if done right, there is no downside to using synthetic. In fact, synthetic will be better for the car in the long run. Also, Infiniti is switching to synthetic in 2005!!

Second, a dealer can't tell you after they have put in synthetic 3 time before, "oh, by the way, I hope you know this voids your warranty." Utter crap and they're up for a fight if they think they're going to use that one.

Third, because of this overzealous service advisor, the prejudice that this would cause me with respect to my warranty is so much greater than any interest that this service advisor could have in protecting infiniti.

Anyway, I figured I would just pass this along to see if anyone has heard the same BS about using Mobil 1 or other synthetic oils.

beegoi 06-20-2004 09:06 AM

Re: Synthetic Oil Controversy

Just got my G this week and was planning on using synthetic. I will call my dealer and get back to you.

Silver M6 - stock for now ...

Toki443 06-20-2004 09:10 AM

Never heard of it. In fact, I do receive a flyer from dealer to offer synthetic oil change. I think he is just messing with you. No need to pay attention to that. Synthetic oil voids a warranty? What kind of BS is that?

Msedanman 06-20-2004 01:45 PM

Never heard of anyone being told that. I too think it's BS.
My dealer doesn't void warranties because of synthetic use.
Go elsewhere.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
https://g35driver.com/rides/spec/pix...1055534520.jpg<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

lucky_menehune 06-20-2004 02:30 PM

The dealer's just pulling your leg. From the page 10-5 of the owners manual it states, "Mineral based or synthetic type oils may be used in your Infiniti vehicle. These oils must however, meet the API quality and SAE viscosity ratings specified for your vehicle. Do not mix mineral based and sythetic type oils in the engine at the same time."

mikeinaustin 06-20-2004 05:05 PM

don't worry as long as its ok in your manual its ok.

booger 06-20-2004 05:13 PM

Use syn. but waite till you have the engine broke in . Put it in on your second oil change . First oil change at 500 miles and then when every you choose for your second oil change....3,500 or what ever

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

chinee 06-20-2004 05:20 PM

"... API quality and SAE viscosity ratings... "

This is the important info here. So long as the automotive oil being used meets the ratings specified in the manual (above)... Your warranty cannot be voided citing your use of synth as a reason.

Just another fine example to demonstrate that just because individuals are service writers, ASE certified, experienced mechanics, etc., they too are often misinformed and mistaken.

https://g35driver.com/rides/spec/pix...1048800978.jpg
<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

281784-API.JPG

1BARG35 06-20-2004 05:38 PM

If your dealer's sevice department is that STUPID then find another dealer and I would complain directly to Infiniti....My dealer offers Castrol Synthetic as an option. They put Mobile Filter and Synthetic oil for me everytime I go in....My car has 25K miles......

tpware 06-20-2004 06:17 PM

my manual states syn is not recommended. I can see where the dealer would say this, albeit not very bright. I assumed this is because they dont want you to do extended drains as the VQ doesnt seem to like extended ODIs. However, I've also heard the the seals that Nissan is using *now* might not hold up with syn. Plus, alot of people are reporting leaking valve covers. Leaks with syn havent been a problem in the last 15 years, but the myth persists.

I use M1-syn, I get great Blackstone reports and no leaks, so unless Nissan tells why we cant run a superior oil, I'm not keen on going back to dino.

northface 06-20-2004 06:18 PM

Ive ran synthetic in all my cars...MB, Corvette, Viper, all come stock with Mobil 1...at 1000 miles my dealer popped in royal purple 5w30 oil and 75w90 gear and tranny oil in the tranny and differential...your service writer knows jack about cars and less about warrantys...tell him to go shove it up his arse next to his head!

Northface

pringles 06-21-2004 01:06 PM

This is really strange. From where I came from, not a 3rd world, synthetic oil lasts for at least 10k km, that's at least 7k miles. BMWs have their oil changed at 15k Km, about 10k miles.
Here's what I found on the Mobil 1 website (http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp):

Can I go longer without changing my oil if I use a synthetic?

While Mobil 1 has given excellent results in extended oil drain tests, the safest and recommended practice is to follow your owner's manual. You can go all the way to the maximum mileage or time frame shown in your owner's manual for oil changes when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. This allows the reserve protection capabilities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to cover the unusual or unexpected driving conditions that we all experience from time to time.

Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™'s high-performance reserves give you the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

My bet is that the dealerships want us to go back for frequent oil changes so that they can fleece us of our hard earned $$.

G35Tuning 06-21-2004 01:22 PM

Did someone say first oil change at 500 miles???? Why's Infiniti's first service say 3500 or whatever it is?

SixFive 06-21-2004 02:00 PM

You have one of those priceless nimrod's of an adviser. Remember for all the inadequacies the guy actually working on your car has...they wont even let the guy who they call your adviser touch the car as he is a customer service guy who may or may not coincedentally know about cars or infiniti's specifically. They put this moron in between you and the guy actually working on the car to make sure the communication level is crap and you get away with little by being chummy with the service guy who does work on the engines/cars.

Don't go to another dealer - just eat this guy for lunch or ignore his wasted hot air heaves of worthless garbage since what's what is not up to some uninformed $8 hour service rep. It's not worth driving to another dealer everytime you get a moron in this fashion. They wont be there as long as you will be taking your car there in all liklihood...and so what if he thinks that - yu wont have a problem from synth anyway.

It seems that the only real power these "reps" and infiniti techs seem to conjure up is in their own heads when they babble senselessly about how mods will hurt your car or how you will be voiding the warranty if you simply use a product such as mobil 1 or modify the car. The reality is the dealer has a burden to prove that what you have done caused the car to need the repairs under question. While this happens and people do casue their own problems it's usually just a power trippin rep who want to feel the power of his own words of crap.

My dealer tried to not fix a squeaky stock pulley becasue I has a CAI back then. It took about a 3 minutes for me to demand someone who knows cars look at the car and figure out the obvious. They try to seem like they have some power to deny service...they dont have shiiit. Some dealers are still mean but mine seem to realize that many more cars than they may like hav mods but we still pay thier bills too and deserve to be treated like customers.

You are more likely to get better info here from informed consumers who dont have a profit motive than this kind of arrogant asss. Listen to him as you would an AC service salesman...with little regard.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

josahn 06-21-2004 02:53 PM

WHERE I GET MY OIL CHANGED THEY TOLD ME THAT SYNTHETIC WAS THE ONLY OIL THEY COULD USE ON MY CAR. JIFFY LUBE IS THE BEST