G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/273551-official-what-mods-should-i-buy-my-coupe-thread.html)

Xet 10-26-2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by DRG35MIA (Post 4655982)
^ You don't need to get sway bars, those are just for improved handling (has nothing to do with lowering). A lot of people on here have gone with springs (tein, tanabe, etc.) and tokico d-spec shocks, and it has worked out great for them.

The exhaust is up to you. If you don't want to spend a lot then go with the x02 ebay exhaust, but I would go with the HKS / FI / or Motordyne exhausts. The downside is that they all surpass $1k.

The car will run fine without a tune for a while. Just be sure to get one later on to get the most out of your mods.

x02 is a great exhaust imo. it sounds very nice (minus a tiny bit of drone under heavy load but that can be fixed with cheap resonators), i would definitely recommend it. i have received tons of compliments on my exhaust and i would be seriously surprised if someone could tell the difference between the newer x02's and hks without getting under the car.

Here is a thread to see for yourself, pics/clips/reviews all in there https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...eview-x02.html

elperuano 10-26-2009 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Xet (Post 4656025)
x02 is a great exhaust imo. it sounds very nice (minus a tiny bit of drone under heavy load but that can be fixed with cheap resonators), i would definitely recommend it. i have received tons of compliments on my exhaust and i would be seriously surprised if someone could tell the difference between the newer x02's and hks without getting under the car.

Here is a thread to see for yourself, pics/clips/reviews all in there https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...eview-x02.html

Yea but you cant fool yourself.. Cmon its a knockoff of the real HKS.. Quite frankly i'd be embarassed to have any knockoff on my car.. I'd rather spend the money and buy REAL quality parts but thas just my opinion.. Besides must make for an awkward conversation sometimes.. "Hey what kinda exhaust you got?".... "A knockoff HKS...." or do you lie and say its an HKS? :bowrofl:

Law to the Rence 10-26-2009 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by elperuano (Post 4656213)
Yea but you cant fool yourself.. Cmon its a knockoff of the real HKS.. Quite frankly i'd be embarassed to have any knockoff on my car.. I'd rather spend the money and buy REAL quality parts but thas just my opinion.. Besides must make for an awkward conversation sometimes.. "Hey what kinda exhaust you got?".... "A knockoff HKS...." or do you lie and say its an HKS? :bowrofl:

Word.
Get the real deal or don't get it at all. I don't get people who say "nahh i don't have enough money for ____ yet so i'll just get knockoff" Just save up a little more or buy used...its not that hard.

Its because so many people are buying knockoff parts that legit companies like GReddy are going out of business

TbagzG35 10-27-2009 10:08 PM

lowering

G2NV 10-28-2009 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by AirmanRed (Post 4655771)
So first time posting on this thread but long time reader. I've been on this forum for about 3 months reading, researching, watching the progression of the G's that come and I'm honestly hooked. I'm currently serving in kuwait which is our last stop then we will be on our way home stateside in about a week or two. But I plan on buying a G coupe MT once I return and I still have some questions even after reading this thread from page one all the way till the end ( which was very enjoyable and informative ). Now I'm not new to the mod world, comming from an 00 Honda Accord EX that I've worked on myself from the day I got it so turning my own wrenches is not an issue to me. My items on my list of first mods consist of..

1. 5/16 MD spacer ( depending on the year I get an mrev2 also )
2. JWT popcharger and z tube
3. Catback exhaust ( still not sure on the brand just yet )
4. Some HFC's
5. 19' Rims
6. Coils or springs ( depending on my feedback from here )
7. Osiris tune
Now here comes my questions. First off I see that no matter how I plan on lowering my future G I will need camber kits for the front and rear, and sways. I'm not to suspension savy and have never messed with them before on any ride but what if i was to get lowering springs and a set of KONI or Tokico shocks, has anyone tried those or is my safest bet to just go with the coils. The reason I ask is because if I get the nice looking rims and not lower it, it will look noobish, which does'nt really matter to me cause I would like to be sure before I venture into uncharted areas of my wrenching ability. Second question is exhaust, now alot of folks seem to like FI and HKS but some of my buddies over here ( Yea alot of us have caught the G35 bug, must be all the sand and heat ) are thinking of going with some of the ebay knock-off's saying " they sound nearly the same just cheaper price " and I was wondering you all's opinion on it. Yea I know you get what you pay for in quality and I can honestly say I've purchased no name brand car parts from ebay that worked just as well/good on my honda then guys with the brand name gear. But a G35 is not an accord and I would like to be sure. Last question so far is the tune, how bad will my G run after I bolt all those mods on without a tune? Not that I plan on going long without one cause it will need it but I was just wondering what should I expect so i don't freak out and think I messed something up. Any help and information will be greatly appreciated, this forum has been a great read and source of info not just for me but for most in my unit out here. Sorry my post was so long aswell.

Hey whats up?!
I have a laser red 2003 MT, JWT popcharger, Ztube, 3/8 motordyne spacer, Knetix HFCs, Stillen Catback, Stillen sways, stillen engine torque dampener, NRG strut bar, Megan street coilovers, SPC rear camber kit, 19 volks, hawk HPS pads, drilled and slotted rotors, osiris reflash and dyno tune. Custom 10 inch sub box with rockford fosgate P2 sub, classic punch 45 amp, punch 200.1 amp, focal K2 door speakers, kenwood 942 head unit, pioneer nav/dvd player, blue LED dooms, custom leather boot, nismo shift nob, mt fuji emblem only on the back.

Thats not a bad list, to start with =)
I'd suggest a front upper strut bar. It improves handling alot (even with all stock suspension)
I dont have front camber kit, and my front tires arent wearing that quickly... I think the rear is a must just because u want those tires to last as long as possible.

I bought Ebay exhaust for my 300zx, OBX was the brand, just 2 mufflers, and it sounded great! BUT you are gambling when you do that. I found my stillen catback in new condition on craigslist $800, so you never know you can find deals on brand names!

go to youtube and search for exhaust videos! thats what I did, I wanted a "quieter" type exhaust, and I love stillen, its not overly loud, unless you gun it.

your car will run great without a reflash....
The tune just makes the improvements even better, I gained 16 HP at the wheels after my tune. I did my engine mods in a couple phases and it always felt better after (previous owner did the Ztube)
1. exhaust 2. intake 3. HFC 4. Spacer + Dyno tune.
(I wouldnt do it this order again..) just kinda happen that way..

As far as doing it all over if I could, I wouldnt buy a 2003, get the 2005 with the uprev engine. (also 2003 has electrical problems)
Do the Intake, mrev2, spacer, HFC, exhuast, reflash.
strut bar and sways will make the car feel alot more soild. coils feel alot better than lowering springs, dont waste your money on springs.

I'm looking into a set of good endlinks for my sways... and then theres the exterior mods, I got the BUG bad! =)

856_reilly 10-29-2009 09:52 PM

mods

DOMODOMODOMOjust bought a g35 and wanted to know what type of mods i can do to gain more power mainly is the some type of chip or somthing. sorry but dont know to much about the imports

GDriver901 11-02-2009 05:31 AM

tint for tail lights

The Tint overlay worked great for me and i have ad mine on for about a year now. Its 20% i think

TDTh3Boss 11-21-2009 12:25 PM

What Exhaust

I have an 05 AT and im just wondering what you guys think would be a good exhaust to get to make it sound pretty good? nothing crazy expensive though

twalls 11-21-2009 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by GDriver901 (Post 4670670)
The Tint overlay worked great for me and i have ad mine on for about a year now. Its 20% i think

I have tint on my rear tails and I love mine too... 20% as well I think..

Originally Posted by TDTh3Boss (Post 4710889)
I have an 05 AT and im just wondering what you guys think would be a good exhaust to get to make it sound pretty good? nothing crazy expensive though

If it's just sound you're after, you could get that w/out having to change the exhaust.. I have an 04 AT and you can get some High Flow Cats that will change the exhaust sound to a nice deep rumble. That will also give you a nice power gain as well. You'll notice more of a change w/ the cats than you would w/ just exhaust if you're not supercharged or turbo.. That would keep your cost down as well..

However, if you had your heart set on exhaust, the x02 (HKS replica) sounds excellent, and a lot of people regard it highly as an inexpensive alternative to the authentic. Of course you're going to have some people knock it down because it's a replica..

Hope this helps.

fortunecookie93 11-21-2009 04:44 PM

questions from a noob at modding and forums:
whats the difference between HFCs, catbacks, H pipes, test pipes, y pipes, and resonators?
what is a spacer and mrev2?
difference between coilovers and lowering springs?
im new at this, bear with me

seymore4 11-21-2009 06:23 PM

Start at page 1 and read the thread

fortunecookie93 11-21-2009 08:06 PM

alright so far ive gotten best mods for cheap are:
5/16 spacer
mrev2 for 05 and up MT
k&N filter with ztube
coilovers lower your car and increase handling while lowering springs just lower
all brand name exhausts give the same power its all in preference of looks and sound
buying an intake isnt going to d much because people drop $ to get to where g35 is stock

havent found anything about the difference between H pipes, Y pipes, and test pipes
also, is FI an abbreviation of Fast Intentions?
im at page 38 of this forum now and look forward to being a not noob in this community:)

fortunecookie93 11-21-2009 08:25 PM

i take back that last comment idk how i didnt put 2 and 2 together
haha just sooooo many abbreviations when learning everything

seymore4 11-21-2009 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by fortunecookie93 (Post 4711413)
i take back that last comment idk how i didnt put 2 and 2 together
haha just sooooo many abbreviations when learning everything

:biggthumpup:

FI means either Fast Intentions for exhaust or Forced Induction when referring to turbos and superchargers.

A Y-pipe is the section of the exhaust that looks like a y and connects each cat to the single exhaust pipe

Test pipes are straight pipe replacements for cats with no smog reducing element inside

H-pipes are, well, I have no clue

fortunecookie93 11-21-2009 10:40 PM

GOT IT
so i finished reading the thread and now im looking back at my previous questions with such disdain
yeah i got the part between Ypipes being y shaped but does it have any particular affect on performance?
whether you know it or not your posts over the past 7 months have helped me get a basic grasp on all this
THANK YOU
still looking at buying my G any suggestions for what to look for or what to avoid?