G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   cross drilled rotors for a 6 speed? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/30343-cross-drilled-rotors-6-speed.html)

roadracer 08-02-2004 12:52 AM

cross drilled rotors for a 6 speed?

Anyone know where to get cross drilled Brembo stock replacement rotors for a 6 speed coupe? Thanks

6mtInCharlotte 08-02-2004 02:34 AM

Re: cross drilled rotors for a 6 speed?

Tirerack.com. around $300 for a pair.

Havivng rotor issues myself.

neffster 08-02-2004 12:01 PM

How many miles do you guys have before you're noticing problems? I'd like to know so that I can buy my cross-drilled rotors several thousand miles in advance.

Thanks!

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

roadracer 08-02-2004 12:23 PM

I have no problems with the brakes, they are actually fantastic. I have cross drilled rotors on my BMW and the work even better and look killer, that is why I want to put them on!

'03 G Coupe, 6 speed, Bose, Nav, Pearl White, Black leather, MODS to come!

6mtInCharlotte 08-02-2004 03:04 PM

My pads started feeling a little iffy at 20,000 miles and my dealer tried to dick me into some rotors for $1300 (see coupe forum for post).

636Racer 08-03-2004 02:41 PM

that's why slotted crossed drilled rotors were made [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

https://www.hometown.aol.com/turtletrr/images/sig2.jpg
| Hawaii International Race School | Formula Hawaii | Drift Session | Mid Pac Road Racing Association |

xswl0931 08-03-2004 05:12 PM

Yup, cross drilled is only for looks, but most people don't go to the track anways, so it's not a big deal. If you track your car, you want to avoid cross drilled as they are more likely to crack.

MrElussive 08-03-2004 06:03 PM

The benefits of each (Drilled or Slotted) depends on the application. In the case of replacing the 6MT's stock Brembo rotors from TireRack, Drilled rotors offer performance braking for the streets. The Slotted rotors (matched with racing pads) are much more suited to track events.
Drilled rotors do offer a more "racier" look, but they also effectively cool the brakes for performance street driving and they reduce just a bit of weight (and the rotors are part of the vehicle's unsprung weight, so this is the most essential).

Basically what I'm saying is, if you do intend to take your car on a race track, go with the Slotted rotors as they offer better cooling performance than Drilled rotors.

If you're going to keep your car on the streets (performance street driving) and the look of Drilled rotors appeals to you, definitely go with the Drilled rotors. You'll get cooling that is easily sufficient for performance street driving and you'll save some weight.
If you want a heavy-duty track setup, just get the Brembo Big Brake Kit or whatever, best of both worlds.

If my personal opinion matters at all, if it came time to replace my rotors and pads and I was gonna do it TireRack-style, I would go with Brembo Sport Slotted Rotors matched with Hawk HPS Street Pads. I don't like the way slotted rotors look on the G (I feel like it hurts the "smoothness" of the car...the way the car is very easy on the eyes) and the weight-saving factor doesn't convince me much. As for the street pads, I don't think I'm ever going to take my car to a real race track so I might as well benefit from the Hawk HPS Street Pads' reduced brake dust (over the OEM Brembo pads) and the no "warmup time".

roadracer 08-03-2004 06:10 PM

636 racer.....meaning Kawasaki 636? Nice to see a roadracer here. I just sold my 01 GSXR 600 that I race at Willow Springs and am getting an 04 GSXR 600 from Factory Suzuki, as my past ones have been! It looks like I will be getting an EX-Spies A-Bike.......woohoo!

Here I am on my Ex-Yates 01 600 at Pahrump!

'03 G Coupe, 6 speed, Bose, Nav, Pearl White, Black leather, 350Z airbox, more MODS to come!

315777-pahrump1.jpg

youngjun91 08-03-2004 06:49 PM

From my informal survey of what I consider trustworthy experts (including ones in aforementioned web link), cross drilling actually has the following disadvantages: real likelihood of cracking, less surface area for stopping (not positive about this one), no real advantage in cooling, and pro track people generally do not use them except for a couple of exotic brands (Ferrari) that use the OEM rotors. Slotting is more effecting in releasing the gaseous layer between the pad and rotor, although it is debateable whether today's pads outgas much (I think they should to some degree, but not positive on that one). Disadvantage of slotted is that they can warp (mine did) easier than solid ones, like when they suddenly get wet. I would get solid or slotted over cross drilled, unless looks are more important than performance.

DED 08-03-2004 07:03 PM

I think they would look way cool. I'll get some if I ever need to replace the rotors.

I don't plan to race or autocross, so looks are important.

To me.

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Killer.

Meatshackle 08-03-2004 09:12 PM

The cross-drilled and slotted add a little something to the looks. I'll probably replace mine with regular discs because I think the cross-drilled or slotted will take away or look funny with my wheels.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
G35Driver.com Business Cards