G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Help: my car is leaking oil (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/314177-help-my-car-leaking-oil.html)

Captain Supreme Sausage 11-06-2009 01:12 PM

Help: my car is leaking oil

1 Attachment(s)
my car has been leeking oil for about two months now. I did an oil change about three weeks to mobil 1 synthetic oil. My car is still leaking oil:/ it usually only leaks oil at cold starts meaning almost every morning. It is leaking oil by the oil pan. I will post a couple of pictures in a bit since I'm on my iPhone. Any ideas why it's leaking? And how much it'll be to repair it?

This is what i found this morning
Attachment 239384

cjr609 11-06-2009 01:13 PM

There a little rubber/plastic ring, if you supposedly tighten it too much this ring may crack. My car was also leaking oil, and this was apparently the probem. $20 part at the nissan dealer, and fixed it right up.

Captain Supreme Sausage 11-06-2009 01:26 PM

Should I take it to the Nissan dealer then? Or buy the part and do it myself?

cjr609 11-06-2009 01:34 PM

I took mine to the Nissan dealers, =). However, if you're more fluent in cars then you could do it yourself. But that was just a suggestion from one of my previous experiences, and your car seemed to show same symptoms mine had.

jibberjabbers 11-06-2009 03:36 PM

Mine is leaking from the oil pan bolt. I've been lazy lately. Instead of removing the entire underbody plastic cover. I just remove a few bolts and bend the plastic back far enough for me to reach the oil pan and filter.

This doesn't give me enough leverage to fully tighten the bolt. So I do see a few drips near the bolt. Since it's a crush washer, if you don't tighten it right, it becomes loose over time.

bocatrip 11-06-2009 10:01 PM

The Oil pan bolt and washer would be most common. It is quite unusual for our cars to leak oil. The most accurate way of finding the culprate is gunking down the bottom area with degreaser and wiping it clean. Then look for it when it first starts leaking. Good luck.

Titan23 11-07-2009 10:08 AM

Did you get a new washer or reuse the old one? I haven't done an oil change myself yet on my g but from what I've read you should get a new crush washer and not reuse the old one.

Captain Supreme Sausage 11-12-2009 04:39 PM

i reused the washer. do u guys know about how much itll be at a local mechanic shop or at the nissan dealer?

LightsOut 11-12-2009 05:19 PM

I suggest go down to autozone and purchase that blue oil leak detector. put in you motor oil, drive around for about 30min, then get under car with a flash light and detect where the blue colored oil comming from. (first wipe everything clean, prior to doing the testing)

thescreensavers 11-12-2009 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by iseechriss (Post 4696595)
i reused the washer. do u guys know about how much itll be at a local mechanic shop or at the nissan dealer?

the crush washer? I got mine for free but its 0-5 bucks at the infiniti dealer, and less at Nissan dealer.

Captain Supreme Sausage 11-12-2009 05:42 PM

no i meant for the service to fix whatever the problem is.

gary c 11-12-2009 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by iseechriss (Post 4696729)
no i meant for the service to fix whatever the problem is.

Begin by checking the dip stick, is it seated? Is your crush washer leaking and also check the oil filter, it should be hand tight plus 1/4 turn. What it will cost you depends on where the leak is, the crush washer might not cost you anything if they're cool. If it's something like valve cover gaskets it will cost consideralby more. Stay away from Infiniti, take your G to Nissan and the cost will be less regardless of the issue your having!
Gary

kcruiz 01-03-2010 12:47 PM

I have the exact same issue after changing from regular oil to MOBIL 1 synthetic. I did replace the copper washer on the drain plug at that time, but I think the leak may be from the oil pan itself. Is this due to the oil being synthetic, if so would changing back to regular oil stop the leak?

rimshaker 01-03-2010 08:31 PM

Be careful not to install the copper crush washer upside down. There's a small notch on one end and it's supposed to be against the drain bolt and not the oil pan.

Blue Dream 01-03-2010 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by cjr609 (Post 4680995)
There a little rubber/plastic ring, if you supposedly tighten it too much this ring may crack. My car was also leaking oil, and this was apparently the probem. $20 part at the nissan dealer, and fixed it right up.

This is probably the culprit. It is the gasket on the oil cooler that the filter screws into. If it's tightened too much it will fail and cause a leak from around the oil filter. Easy to replace, pick one up at the Nissan dealership and DIY.