G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Trunk light won't work??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010 | 08:00 PM
|
Trunk light won't work??

So... couldn't really find anything using the search option, but here's my problem. My trunk light recently went out. Thought it was the bulb, but it wasn't. Tried a new bulb, nothing. My question: is there a fuse that's connected to just the trunk light cause every other light in my car works. Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-24-2010 | 11:07 PM
Check whether there is power at your trunk light and check the fuses on the left of the driver's footwell. It's possible, maybe likely, that your wire harness is broken where the wires enter the trunk lid. This happened to my G35 Coupe a month ago, and I have read at least 9 similar postings on G35driver and G35NYC. The wires are too tight, and through normal opening and closing of the trunk, the wires get stripped and break. This is a problem with 2003+ G35 coupes and sedans.

http://g35nyc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17606&page=2

https://g35driver.com/forums/general...estions-3.html

The three items powered by this wire harness are the trunk light, the trunk lid release, and the stop light for the spoiler. The trunk light wires go to the trunk latch to turn on the trunk light when the trunk is open.

I found that all 6 wires were either stripped or broken. First my trunk lid release stopped working. Then two weeks later, the spoiler stop light wires stripped and shorted together, tripping the stop light fuse, which makes the car not shift out of Park. The car is inoperable then. It doesn't matter whether you have a spoiler or not, those wires are powered and can short out and trip the fuse.

The harness is very long, powering many things from the front to the back of the car, and I hear that it is expensive. I repaired the wires myself with electrical tape, connectors and loosening the tight connection to the trunk lid.

Good luck with your repairs.

The following users liked this post:
Romnick Canono (04-14-2024)
Old 03-16-2011 | 11:20 PM
I have the same problem the release, light, and stop light are not working. My trunk wire was cut so I spliced it back but nothing is still working. I found the trunk light fuse on the left side of the driver. Does this fuse control the 3 other as well?? Or they all individual fuses?? Can someone help thanks

Old 08-03-2011 | 04:55 PM
same problems here...i did the same thing as post #2 and it was working for a bit and now my spoiler lights go on and off and my trunk light doesnt work sometimes...its so annoying..

Old 07-30-2012 | 09:48 PM
Thank you once again driver. 62,000 miles and only my 2nd minor problem with the car which was easily fixed with a search. "Trunk light" subject line only.

Check the pics in http://g35nyc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17606&page=2 (linked above) and you'll see what probably starts happening to all coupes around 50k. For me it was just the red wire (which killed the trunk light) and I had one black wire with split insulation. I spliced a wire inline with the red one, didn't even bother soldering, just twisted it tight and taped the snot out of everything. I did this with the circuit still live, the bulb turned on as soon as I touched the wires together. Hoping the thick electrical tape will lessen the severe sharp corners on this wire bundle with the trunk closed. If it breaks again, so be it, it's only the trunk light.

Also helpful to know that there's a hidden red pull strap under the rear seatback right in the middle. Had to dig for that a bit, but that is an interior release for the rear seat fold down. Obviously useful if your electrical trunk release wire goes out on you. There is a pic of that strap around here somewhere.

Old 08-01-2012 | 04:04 AM
buy a flashlight.

Old 08-01-2012 | 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by SUMATIC
buy a flashlight.
I ignored mine at first since it's obviously not a big deal, but anyone else who runs into this should definitely look at the trunk wire bundle right away. It might start with the trunk light, but it will spread to the brake light and electronic release. In my case, I had one other wire with broken insulation and I'm hoping the heavy taping will prevent further decay.